Air Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm likely in over my head on this one. I was convinced to do a Robot Master costume by some friends of mine, and I settled on Air Man, who is likely one of the most easily recognizable RM's, and a personal favorite. However, I prefer the manga variant armor, mainly because there's more... detail, style, and just... win, in it. See for yourself:

Air.gif

Now. I've never done armor before. My previous idea involved wire form and lots of plaster gauze, but even I know that would be heavy as anything and ridiculously uncomfortable. After a cursory browse through of the methodology of creating armor on this site, I really think this could work much better. I will have to, of course, buy many new tools to complete it, but I can always use those on other projects, after all.

My main hangup is, I have no skill in making 3D models, or Pepakura. I could probably improvise without those, but there's no guarantee that it will look decent if I do, and if I'm going to spend that much time on this, I want it to look as good as possible.

I'm only planning on making the main armor/helmet/shoulder/back piece with the methods here. I have ideas in mind for the boots and arms. I also plan on running wires from the cannon-arm to the chest for the fan, and including some LED lights in the cannon so it looks like an actual blaster. I'd like the shoulders and helmet to be able to separate, so they can be easier to remove, but. I can work around that.

Any and all advice and help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Wow, I loved mega man 2 probably one of my all time favourites in the series. Really look forward to seeing what you do with this costume. If you don't have any 3d modelling skills another option is to use the pink insulation styrofoam you can get from most hardware stores, this can be cut/sanded into the basic shape and then cardboard can be glued to the shape to help fill in the blanks. I saw a great big daddy costume done this way http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/2009/09/big-daddy-bioshock.html here's a link to the build. Really looking forward to how this turns out.

Ooooh, not a bad idea. I could probably work that. And the guy's idea of a tinted security dome for the helmet is a neat one. I was worried about trying to make a round helmet like that. Hm. I could do that. That looks much more... customizable.

I can make a 3d model for you if someone can unfold it.

This armor looks awsome, I would make it (or something like it) if I wasn't already working on my MJOLNIR armor.

Once you have the pep file you can fiberglass it, spray the inside with expanding foam, sand off the paper-fiberglass, seal and paint the foam!

Taking some notes from the Big Daddy would be a good idea considering how the guy is able to take up the weight and was able to move about. Air Man's air cannon doesn't seem too far off from Samus's (arm cannon), Nintendude has one built up and uploaded, maybe you can try modding it a bit - just be sure to give credit where credit's due ;) http://www.4shared.com/file/168542677/ecf2739d/Samus_Arm_Cannon.html

Any idea on how you're gonna tackle the visibility problem?

____

Here's an already existing Air Man suit that's been floating around for quite some time if you haven't gotten to see it.

1119342289_79e252c3fe.jpg

Good luck.

Working on that. I was considering the big daddy's idea of a clear security dome and painting that blue in an appropriate shade for the helmet, and leaving the eyes a semi-transparent white shade... need to research into what materials can make that properly. If that doesn't work, I might just end up buying a cheap salad bowl or something, and xacto-ing out some eyeballs and using some transparent plastic/mesh for the eyes. I'm still pondering out the majority of the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back