alternative to fiberglass???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenitentTangent

I was wondering what other alternatives to fiberglass there are to strengthening my armor.

I know of sculptamold, and wood mache,
but scupltamold is hard to get and I have no idea where to get wood mache.

Could someone please let me know of some plaster, strengthening, things I could use?

thanks

even though this has been posted...

there's frost's hot glue method, if you can't work with fiberglass AND resin. or if you can work with resin, but not fiberglass, you could do muslin mache instead of fiberglass, which is almost the same strength, i hear. There's also something about just swirling in some liquid plastic, but i'm not sure exactly how that goes...

Your best bet really *is* fibreglass, I'm afraid. But if you can't work with it, your next best bet would be to strengthen your piece with card, then go for the hot glue method. It's not nearly as strong, but it'll keep it rigid enough to use, if you're careful.

well depending on how well the trial method od the aqua resin is, if you dont want to use normal resin because of the fumes, then this might be the best alternative.

There's always the hot glue method too, use the search button for it, it just reinforces the inside of the armor with hot glue to make it strong and rubbery rather than being brittle and hard with fiberglass.

I was just thinking; is there a plado/clay like sustance that could be shaped and then baked solid in an oven, which then could be the base for fiberglass?

Thanks,

LC

Was wood mache even mentioned? i reread and didnt see anything about it.

Anyways, you cant bake clay in the oven, for it to keep shape, you;d need for it to be attached to the armor piece at all times, thus, the armor would melt. Unless you make a solid piece of clay, but the cost of clay to make an entire suit would cost 100-200 dollars, and then you'd have a hard piece of clay which isnt wearable. So then you'd need to mold it/vacuum form it for it to be wearable.

Err... Frost could I speak to you over here for a minute?

Anyways, you cant bake clay in the oven
You can bake polymer clay in your own oven, at home. Problem?: cost, and durability Polymer clay is about $20/lb. and it's still pretty fragile after hardened. Lay it up with some reinforcement though, and yes it would work.

for it to keep shape, you;d need for it to be attached to the armor piece at all times, thus, the armor would melt

You seem to be describing a method of laying clay overtop of armor premade armor to make a suit.. which is the wrong method for making the armor in clay for alot of reasons. In theory you could make armor from water based clay by slipcasting it in plaster molds. You would make a clay positive, make a plaster mold, remove the original, and pour in liquid clay inside the mold. The plaster pulls the water out of the clay, leaving a hollow coating inside the mold. After a few minutes pour out the rest of the liquid clay, and bammo, you got a hollow clay casting, perfectly uniform in thickness, up to 3/8" thick.

And no, clay does not need to to supported while firing, if it can stand on it's own before firing, it can stand up the the kiln.

but the cost of clay to make an entire suit would cost 100-200 dollars

I don't think thats accurate. A handbuilt clay suit would just cost enough for the materials.. which might be around $200, not including the cost of clay used for making your original sculpt (that clay cannot be reused and fired, it's waste clay) So if you sculpted it in oil based clay... then used water based clay to slipcast it, starting cost for materials would probably be closer to $500. And then theres, paint, padding, a visor or two..

and then you'd have a hard piece of clay which isnt wearable

Again, I'm not sure I agree. Clay is lightweight when cast hollow, I'd say maybe a little heavier than fiberglass... maybe by half. So you'd have a double weight suit... I think that'd work... The question is durability... which could be iffy. Clay can be very strong, dependant of the type of mix that is used. I've seen ceramic bone replacements, ceramic shovels, and bullet proof ceramic plates where specialized clays were stronger than steel. The college I went to developed alot of these clays for use in industry..

I'm pretty sure that if you went with a very strong clay type, or normal clay at higher thicknesses it'd be perfectly wearable.

Please understand the difference between knowing the answer to someones question, and answering it to the best of your ability. If you aren't sure, don't post this advice to others..

Theres alot that you can do to make any method work, if you are convinced of the materials.. People are even making armor out of hot glue.. never say never.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya know... i vaigly rember my mam makin me a modeling material outa household stuffs. it was a lil like playdoe but without that rank smell. i made lil things outa it and then she cooked it and it went rock hard. ill checck what on earth it was (if i forget, remind me). i rember she was well happy with me using it cuz it wasnt toxic in any way.

@Sean: lol

When I said a solid piece of clay which wasn't wearable, I meant such as the helmet being solid clay baked, not being hollow inside. Although if someone did bake the clay and have a solid helmet, they could possibly vacuum form it, the piece would last a long time since it is much stronger than plaster when vacuum forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back