Alternatives to Fiberglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albinopopscl

Hey everyone, I've been browsing the site for a while now, I've got a Helmet, Chest, and both feet made from cardstock. But I would like to know, is there anything else to make the paper stronger besides fiberglass? I've heard of pulping methods, but those sound very messy, and unpredictible, and I'd like to try and keep the detail of the pepakura design... :unsure:

someone was talking about mixing aluminum powder into resin to make it like metal, i would imagine it would be stronger. I dont know if anyone has used this method yet or not, but its sounds feasible.

Paper mache has a habit of being clumpy and weak. The reason fiberglass is so good is because it is actually plastic. Companies who use fiberglass structurally often include other agents such as metal powder for extra strength.

the best alternative to fiberglass, beside bondo, is expanding foam! yes i know what your thinking. but what you do is spray it really thin. then add more and more layers as it dries to desired thickness. do this on the inside of the armor and itll work awsome. trust me. but key is to Never spray it too thick or itll desroy your pep helm.

if you want something nice, use fiberglass, it;s the easiest to work with, just sue elmers glue, glue it in, and then resin over it, very easy and cheap, if you try doing something cheaper, you'll screw your project over and regret it.

i recently finished an entire armor set using foam . it's easy you dont need layers. there are some pieces that need paper mache on the outside but just sand it. I will posts pics when its completely done. it needs a few adjustments and some paint

Gokussj5okazu said:
Paper mache has a habit of being clumpy and weak. The reason fiberglass is so good is because it is actually plastic. Companies who use fiberglass structurally often include other agents such as metal powder for extra strength.
ok well ive done paper machete before on other things and its not clumpy if u do it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Albinopopscl said:
Hey everyone, I've been browsing the site for a while now, I've got a Helmet, Chest, and both feet made from cardstock. But I would like to know, is there anything else to make the paper stronger besides fiberglass? I've heard of pulping methods, but those sound very messy, and unpredictible, and I'd like to try and keep the detail of the pepakura design... :unsure:

I wish people would use Search before posting new threads. There was already another thread with almost the same exact title (Fiberglass Alternatives).

Someone suggested using cotton muslin fabric and diluted white glue as a non-toxic alternative http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4263

I'm going to use a carbon fiber-Kevlar composite.
ck94993s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back