An unusual CQB build

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwii

Hi guys,
after many months of careful consideration how I'm to go about creating my first MJOLNIR armour, I think I've come to my conclusion.

My biggest problem I have with most of the builds I have seen is that - well - most people aren't genetically augmented and followed careful training from the age of six when the were kidnapped. It's the Spartan physique which I really want to capture for my armour, and I'm determined to get it right.

First thing's first, this is the armour I want to ultimately achieve:
playermodel.ashx?rpis=qOc5B-ISTti9lQuXcha45w==.png

Before I start creating any of the body armour, I am first going to create an undersuit (a wetsuit) using likely foam and chicken wire (flexible mesh) to create a realistic sense of bulk and achieve the Spartan physique. This will likely add 3" (in diameter) around my arms and chest, making it more prominent. I will then add the details of the under amour onto this.

Hopefully, if this goes well, I can then use pep to scale my armour to this bulky build, and eventually achieve the real look of a Spartan.

I'm going to warn you now this is a long term project, I'm just doing it in time I have free, so don't expect updates all to often, but I'm determined for it to be an awesome build.

I hope you all enjoy this over the following months :)

-Sam

Hi,

I kinda like the idea to go vice versa - instead of fitting the armor parts, you adapt your body. So good luck on this one! However, be aware of some problems you might run into. First it like doubles the complexity and maybe costs of your endeavour. Might be too much for a first project. Second, it may become very hot under that suit (especially a wetsuit!) , making it un-suit-able :) to wear. In principle there's nothing wrong with building and wearing armor without having some Schwarzenegger body. We are who we are, and the costume shouldn't hide that .... just my opinion.... But nevertheless, I would be curious how this project continues!

DSCN2592.jpg

Here's the start.
I must confess, choosing the HD model of CQB for my first ever attempt at pepakura probably wasn't the best idea, but thank god I chose GCSE and A level graphics, otherwise this would have been a whole lot harder. That image is 5 pages worth of cut outs, just another 10 to go!

And about the suit, I'm not entirely fussed about how hot it will get, I really want to go for the realism. Cost shouldn't be too much of an issue, my dad knows lots of people from different industries who could get me stuff :D

-Sam

DSCN2592.jpg

Here's the start.
I must confess, choosing the HD model of CQB for my first ever attempt at pepakura probably wasn't the best idea,

That looks like the LD or MD version of the CQB dude, search for LexBluerivers CQB file on here for the HD version, it's got far more detail in bits like the cheek indents and those knobbly bits are attached and have the detailed sections on them. Good luck with the build and can't wait to see how you get on!

Oh right, the file I downloaded says it was. And if it isn't, I'm really not complaining haha, it's proving to be very fiddly, and I have no idea what half of the pieces are, I guess I'll find out when I glue them :)

Oh right, the file I downloaded says it was. And if it isn't, I'm really not complaining haha, it's proving to be very fiddly, and I have no idea what half of the pieces are, I guess I'll find out when I glue them :)

No worries, just thought I'd give you a heads up :) The L3xBlueriver HD is insanely fiddly at parts like the vents, but it's amazing. As I say gonna be cool to see what you come out with dude!

You doing the CQB Chest and shoulders too? I did one CQB shoulder for my build, and found the easiest way to get the extra detail was to have a 1-2mm thick bit of plasticard cut into the detail shape and glued onto the pad once it's smoothed :)

Thanks man :)
Well I was gonna make the body armour from Reach, since the spartan III's are more accurate to human size, and because I prefer the style, although I am aware that my helmet is a halo 3 era CQB. I need to also download the UA/HUL from somewhere, or make it scratch if need be.

Thanks man :)
Well I was gonna make the body armour from Reach, since the spartan III's are more accurate to human size, and because I prefer the style, although I am aware that my helmet is a halo 3 era CQB. I need to also download the UA/HUL from somewhere, or make it scratch if need be.

Ohh cool cool, should be nifty!

Okay, so it's getting there, I only have 3 pages left to cut, and they aren't full of fiddly S.O.A.B's - so hopefully done for tomorrow

DSCN2594.jpg

My intention was to finish tonight, but i ran out of superglue. I'm happy how it's turning out though

I like the pep so far.... and the enrgy drink in the background :)

Thanks man, and aha, you mean the energy drinks ;)

DSCN2595.jpg

I'm quite happy with it. There's a couple of gaps and a couple of tears here and there, but nothing that the filler can't sort out

DSCN2596.jpg

Looks great so far, the only thing that I would suggest is making the armor first and then making the undersuit last to make the undersuit achieve the "snug" fit you are wanting to achieve.

Looks great so far, the only thing that I would suggest is making the armor first and then making the undersuit last to make the undersuit achieve the "snug" fit you are wanting to achieve.

Thanks man. I considered that, and I think I may do so, although I'm still definitely going to make this undersuit very bulky, to keep that physique.

About the helmet, I decided I'm not happy with the scale as it's a little too large. I've scaled it down 20% and trying again.
On a different note however, I may be making a mould of this:

Photoon2011-06-13at1550.jpg

What do you reckon? It's a 7" Diving Knife made in 1965, passed down my family :)

About the helmet, I decided I'm not happy with the scale as it's a little too large. I've scaled it down 20% and trying again.
Sorry to hear about the helmet being to big., but that's the way it goes. Just be lucky it wasn't L3X's hd file! His was a pain to pep, but in the end it saves time adding all the small details so it was worth it. Good luck with the rest of your build samwii.

Hi guys - Long time no speak,

Had to pause the project for a while, but this is the progress on my new, smaller high def helmet :)
hope you like it

IMG_0018.jpg

okay, so the helmet is so close, just the last two pod thingys to go, then it can be fibreglassed and sprayed.

DSC02205.jpg

the back

DSC02206.jpg

DSC02209.jpg

DSC02212.jpg

notice the size and the detail difference from the first one :D

DSC02215.jpg

Wow It looks really neat! I can see you switched to the Higher def one and did an awesome job! Cool gun and good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back