Another Space Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link Sam, awesome suit, well done. I know what you mean about the shin scale which is why I'm not 100% on it yet. I'm trying to stay true to the larger miniatures (oxymoron?) rather than the 30mm's. I'll probably end up somewhere between the 2 hopefully.

Samuray, those upper arms are actually upside down, the elbow cutout is in my armpit. That's some of the trimming I was referring too.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I'm considering everything at the moment, and all the tips are appreciated.

Not so much a comment on your armour (because I've said everything I needed to say) but the Legion of the Damned are getting new models and new rules

Okay found some gloves & have been working on them. They are cricket gloves. Unfortunately they come in either left or right pairs, that is with or without thumb padding on one hand. Had to get a pair of each. Some black dye & black vinyl spraypaint, now they are almost ready.

They will still need a few tweaks yet.

Gloves.jpg

Tango 89er said:
Not so much a comment on your armour (because I've said everything I needed to say) but the Legion of the Damned are getting new models and new rules

I haven't played 40K since 4th ed, but I will be looking into the new roster for the LotD for sure. Have been thinking of trying Orcs for the fun they provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I gotta say seeing it actually together like that, it's pretty tempting to go start that myself. Looks like you're on to a great start and the peps look good.

Good luck Judge. Should be really something.

Judge said:
Okay found some gloves & have been working on them. They are cricket gloves. Unfortunately they come in either left or right pairs, that is with or without thumb padding on one hand. Had to get a pair of each. Some black dye & black vinyl spraypaint, now they are almost ready.

What sort of grip do you get with cricket gloves? Can you easilly pick small things up and hold them?

Tango 89er said:
What sort of grip do you get with cricket gloves? Can you easilly pick small things up and hold them?

Just went & tested. The easy answer is no. Can't pick up a pen one handed. Although the fingers reach the tips, because the pads on top are the same length it means that when finger & thumb touch, they will be about an inch off the table. So if something is an inch high, no worries. May or may not be a problem yet, have to think some more on it.

Thanks for bringing it up, I'd never considered it.

Just finished the new crotch, now off to do the Shins again.

Pretty sick armor so far. How many pages did that take? (If you don't like how it turns out, I'm pretty sure you could turn it into a buzz lightyear suit ;) :lol )

Cheers!

Those legion of the damned guys were badass looking (so was that chaplain). I'm not familiar with warhammer really- I played warhammer online and know that 40k exists, but there are some cool looking characters out there. Great looking build so far, I've been watching all the 40k threads, because it's very interesting to see how people deal with armor this large. Gl, I'll be watching this thread.

Judge said:
Just went & tested. The easy answer is no. Can't pick up a pen one handed. Although the fingers reach the tips, because the pads on top are the same length it means that when finger & thumb touch, they will be about an inch off the table. So if something is an inch high, no worries. May or may not be a problem yet, have to think some more on it.

Damn, I was so hoping it would work so I could use it for my own armour.

Back to the drawing board for me I guess

Judge said:

Just finished the new crotch, now off to do the Shins again.

You'll get used to it. I bring it back to Buzz, the performers eventually learn how to do almost everything over time. Kids hand them close autograph books and they are able to open the book, turn the pages, turn the pen around... no one hand you the pen ready to write with it... open the pen and close it all back up. It's do-able but you have to practice.

The best part is the quirks of the costume often establish additional personality traits of the character.

Lol never thought of that- buzz lightyear really is a ripoff of a spacemarine minus the shoulders- I wonder how they have such good mobility in those costumes. I guess you are right, practice makes perfect. Very interesting.

Rosh said:
Lol never thought of that- buzz lightyear really is a ripoff of a spacemarine minus the shoulders- I wonder how they have such good mobility in those costumes. I guess you are right, practice makes perfect. Very interesting.

It really is and the people who test the limits of the costume are always the best performers.

Judge what's the status? did you glass any of the piece yet?

Haven't begun to glass yet. Just finished the new shins...AGAIN. I went & got some printed onto A3, then when I got home & started pepping discovered I'd put in the wrong scale. So just printed off another set & bingo, perfect. Well one is so far, anyway. Have to do a fair bit of RL work in the next week. Have 2 1/2 acres I have to mow, clean the house etc. all ready for a 40th B'day. Then family staying for the following week.

All in all I'm going to be trying to get bits done here & there. I will update when I have some more to update on.

I dunno if there's a difference, but in the States they sell LaCrosse gloves...I get fair dexterity out of mine ( I used to use them when sparring with kendo sticks). And they both have thumb padding. Picked mine up at a Dicks Sporting Goods.

Twinblade said:
I dunno if there's a difference, but in the States they sell LaCrosse gloves...I get fair dexterity out of mine ( I used to use them when sparring with kendo sticks). And they both have thumb padding. Picked mine up at a Dicks Sporting Goods.

You might try www.Hockeymonkey.com for hockey gloves too. You might find some good stuff on clearence.

Judge, first I have a couple of boot files one thats real smooth and one that is real low poly but nothing bondo won't fix. I have 3 Pistols Regular Bolter, Heavy Bolter, And Storm Bolter, I think I also have a Power Axe, Power Mace and Power Halberd as well, still no swords yet but I am working on a chainsword at the moment.

I have a Heavy bolter file, it has the magazine underneath, old style. The problem is the model has internal pieces & the whole thing is totally out of alignment. I tried fixing it but gave up & started copying it from scratch. It's nowhere near finished yet.

I've decided on using the HB though, mainly for the visual effect.

I'd like to see both boots if that's ok.

Heres the one boot that I have I cannot find my other boot file but it's the Aquilla77 Boot, I am planning on using black rubber boots and some syray PU foam to make my boots with.There are also some pics of my weapons.

25hk6q1.jpg

29l09au.jpg

8wjjes.jpg

2mqizon.jpg

hey if john wants i can give u the other boot file i have and weapons there his tho also i got a way for your bicep problem i made this when i was makeing the test build it works great

Never thought of doing that, thanks Deathcoreknight.

Nintendude I have the Aquilla77 files, so I might just try it out. Was thinking doing something like you're considering as well. Might try both to see which I prefer. I'm hoping to get all the rest glassed soon, so the boots & gun can wait.

That's the Heavy Bolter I got, the one I said I'm cleaning up. Is it yours? If it is I hope you don't mind me tidying it up some. Mainly trying to seal all the open edges.

I'll send you the file when I've done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back