Anubis Armor, Helmet and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenDamage

Hey there,

i life near munich in germany and this is my first project i try to get complet.
I love stargate as movie and series and thought allways about doing this.
Never had the patience so far do do it. Not sure what changed ;)

I started printing all papers out and glued them together.
The result is awesome so far and fits very well.

Now i have to harden the Helmet and i am not sure how.
Will be a tour to my local market and ask a bit around.
I heared about a spraypaint that can work like putty or so.
Is putty the right word?
So next post can take a while, after a lil motorcycle crash i am a bit handycaped.
20180813_225910.jpg
20180813_225916.jpg

Watching this. I grew up on stargate, and just recently introduced my wife to the show. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Hey there
Well hello there friend.

Now i have to harden the Helmet and i am not sure how.
A good method for hardening 3D prints safely is to add a coating of epoxy resin to create a hardened shell. I like to use XTC-3D by Smooth-On but there are cheaper alternatives and probably similar ones by different manufacturers for the European market. XTC-3D is a self levelling epoxy that gets into the layer lines of prints and helps with smoothing everything.

Another slightly more dangerous option depending on the material you used is to attempt annealing the print in the oven if you printed in a High Temperature filament. It's basically a process of bringing your print slowly into the activation temperature of the plastic and then gradually cooling it to reform the plastic molecularly into a stronger crystalline structure. This is the same concept as heat treating metals, it's just with plastic that has a high chance of melting and becoming a useless lump.

I heared about a spraypaint that can work like putty or so.
Is putty the right word?
I think you're talking about a filler primer or a heavy body primer. This is just a thick paint that's a bit more durable and gets into little cracks like layer lines. I use Duplicolor Automotive Primer to make sure everything is nice and smooth. You can use it on it's own but as a final step after body work with Bondo, spot putty and a load of sanding makes for a nice smooth surface.

Hopefully some of this is helpful and if you ever have any questions about 3D printing just give me a shout or tag me. I'm always down to talk about printing and 3D design!

Here's a video that I depicts the process that I think Turbo was referencing to,
. I'm not too familiar with it as I've only used E.V.A and craft foam to make my builds; it seems more expensive and tedious.

Thx for the tips and the video.
Sadly today all shops are closed so i started also another helmet.
Halo aviator. So scissor, knife and glue are rdy.
Tomorrow i drive to the hardware store and will get me some epoxy resin.

This self leveling sounds good for me, cause i hate sanding to much ;)
Good fact, i have a lot of nice tools to make this work easier for me.

Well hello there friend.

A good method for hardening 3D prints safely is to add a coating of epoxy resin to create a hardened shell. I like to use XTC-3D by Smooth-On but there are cheaper alternatives and probably similar ones by different manufacturers for the European market. XTC-3D is a self levelling epoxy that gets into the layer lines of prints and helps with smoothing everything.

Another slightly more dangerous option depending on the material you used is to attempt annealing the print in the oven if you printed in a High Temperature filament. It's basically a process of bringing your print slowly into the activation temperature of the plastic and then gradually cooling it to reform the plastic molecularly into a stronger crystalline structure. This is the same concept as heat treating metals, it's just with plastic that has a high chance of melting and becoming a useless lump.

I think you're talking about a filler primer or a heavy body primer. This is just a thick paint that's a bit more durable and gets into little cracks like layer lines. I use Duplicolor Automotive Primer to make sure everything is nice and smooth. You can use it on it's own but as a final step after body work with Bondo, spot putty and a load of sanding makes for a nice smooth surface.

Hopefully some of this is helpful and if you ever have any questions about 3D printing just give me a shout or tag me. I'm always down to talk about printing and 3D design!

He used paper to do the mask, 3D printing hardening method wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back