Props Anyone attach their rifle( ma5) to their backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kula

Looking for ideas on how to attach my rifle to my back. Tried magnets but they are hard to detach by pulling was thinking of a sleeve or a 3d printed friction mount.

Those could work but it all depends on where and how you attached the magnets, and what magnets they are. Neodymium and rare earth work the best because they are strong and can hold, but if they are on the inside of your prop and under your armor they always have about an inch of foam to prevent them from sticking too much so that they can be separated easily. Velcro could also work, but I don't like to have things that shouldn't be there poking out the side of my props... :b

Those could work but it all depends on where and how you attached the magnets, and what magnets they are. Neodymium and rare earth work the best because they are strong and can hold, but if they are on the inside of your prop and under your armor they always have about an inch of foam to prevent them from sticking too much so that they can be separated easily. Velcro could also work, but I don't like to have things that shouldn't be there poking out the side of my props... :b

Yeah thats the problem. Detaching the rifle became the job of anyone else who i could get to pull it off. It wouldnt slide. Velcro couldnt either...same issue.
So anyone try a friction fit holster?

Ah
Yeah thats the problem. Detaching the rifle became the job of anyone else who i could get to pull it off. It wouldnt slide. Velcro couldnt either...same issue.
So anyone try a friction fit holster?
Ahhh. I see what you mean now... I usually grab the stock, or handle, or whatever I can and pull it up. It slides off, you don't have to pull out from your back, but that's me, I have long skinny slenderman arms, and may not be your case. Sorry that your not 6'4" and still growing. :)

7B442174-E326-400C-B920-C22CE07E46DF.gif

Not to worry lads I’ve at last arrived!

Here’s an image of my attachment setup
18F9D00E-330B-479B-A437-7AD9B6CB0BF9.jpeg

I have been using earth magnets and they work great keeping the rifle in place but one bump from a passerby and that hint pops right off, and at cons that’ll happen to you a loooot. So I’ve recently installed two nylon straps that secure my gun if I want to keep it there for a longer time, security and peace of mind are honestly more important to me than having it look nicer and loose/break my props. It does require the help of a friend to get it back there but I always travel in packs so it’s no trouble for me.

Hey there, so my first question is, how heavy is your AR? I have the boomco one and would guess it to be about five pounds easy.
The second is wether or not you want something showing on your person or on one side of your prop (which you can slyly angle away for pictures.)

That being said, it’s hard as nuts to get something that heavy to stay anywhere for long stretches of time without using a heavy duty holder. A sleeve would work but I don’t know what a friction holder looks like.

What I have for my armor is a series of powerful magnets [(placement of the gun is important to keep in mind) to both hold some of the weight and keep it steady] and Velcro to hold it in place and more weight.

I’ll post some pics of my setup but suffice it to say, it works but I have a second person remove it.

Last edited:
Would magnets work well for foam weapons, perhaps in a sufficient quantity?

Magnets do work in certain cases. One downside of magnets though is that they often are popped free by slipping out of alignment. Points of high rotation such as thigh mounts require stronger magnets and eyes on to make sure that props don't get bumped and knocked free when in a crowd. A back mounted long prop would be less likely to be shaken free but bumping by others is still a concern, having some sort of restraining strap or a parachute clip would be a good idea to protect your props from a tumble.

You could also look in to using a slip in phone clip to hold the rifle in place.....Might be tricky to get you arm all the way back there to get it in the clip, but hell, you'd have the same trouble w/ the magnets. Check this out HERE. Attach the clip to you back and the "Button" to the rifle and Bob's your Uncle........

Look into flush wall hangers for picture frames. Its how I used to attach my backpack to my ODST costume. Or a large two way clip so that it won't get pulled off but can be slid in and out of the clip.

Would magnets work well for foam weapons, perhaps in a sufficient quantity?

Correct, like Turbo said it works in certain cases, for instance the set up I have for the AR is only a hair different for the one that I have for the BR that I made from foam. The foam is tricky though because its a much softer material and if it’s not done just right it will slip because of the thickness of the material between the magnets or if you don’t have something between the magnets they’ll rip right off of the gun.

Depends on what you think is “sufficient” I suppose, I have 6 magnets and one strip of Velcro total for the BR and 8 magnets and two strips of Velcro for the AR. So it depends on how heavy it is. But I’d say a minimum of 6 because three points of contact are as stable as it gets.

Here’s a couple of photos of my set up and maybe that’ll help, post a few pics of what you have and we all might be able to help work out a solution.

I have three magnets in the armor and three more in the gun itself, the third one on the gun is under the hook side Velcro to help hold/guide it to the loop side Velcro to keep it held to the armor, then the other magnets are to help keep it stabilized to reduce sway/guide and additional hold, I have the deluxe chief armor so the actual material between the magnets is just some pretty thin plastic.

2BBB8CDF-3B52-40C9-8F36-A193BDF2C0BB.jpeg

7BDAAFF7-8B7F-47D5-A210-6EC512239051.jpeg

554875C0-FA05-4DB1-B6F0-00F863BD7E56.jpeg

BA8C438D-91CC-48F7-9AD9-E436B3C70CB5.jpeg

0EB87331-0242-4927-8B4D-56A27ED650EE.jpeg

818D8B26-D331-415B-BB7A-851825D25291.jpeg

Last edited:
so quick little note me and red shirt had this talk when it came to his suit and well the magnets in the suit would pull all the iron in your blood to that one spot causing all kinds of medical problems if not out right kill you with a blood clot.

safest way I can see this working is some kind of slip lock system which would be tricky but way safer then the magnets.

btw if you can hook a sensor and quick release on the butt of the rifle you could pull off that Johnson cutsence bit.

so quick little note me and red shirt had this talk when it came to his suit and well the magnets in the suit would pull all the iron in your blood to that one spot causing all kinds of medical problems if not out right kill you with a blood clot.

safest way I can see this working is some kind of slip lock system which would be tricky but way safer then the magnets.
Pffft! Who cares about safety and health as long as you look good doing it?!

and then wrap the whole area in a flag......either it will heal or some team killing f-tard will shoot you w/ a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back