Anyone custom makes visors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its called a vacuum forming table all it really take is a trip to home depo to get the supplies here is a youtube video on how to make one
and there's one on how it works

Last edited by a moderator:
well I know like two people you can ask one is Katsu and the other is Sean Bradley they both have pro grade equipment but the only visor's I have see them make are ODST and It will cost you like $40 to $50 dollars so just one. I bought one off Sean and its awesome but just so you know the supplies for a table are only like $20 buck and how ever much you are willing to spend on a shop vac and all you do is make a visor with pepakura and resin it for strengthen the paper and form over it

MrCarpet, I may be able to help you out, but I have to admit first that you would probably be better off taking the advice above and building your own vacuum forming table and doing it yourself.

I, too, am building the Rogue set (actually, I have already pepped and applied resin) and will be doing my own custom visor for it using a vacuum forming table that I have yet to build. I already have the vacuum, but the rest is on my shopping list for the 1st of February. I anticipate a few non-usable test pieces, and possibly a few flops before creating one that I am satisfied with. I also am not sure if I will be using acrylic or lexan. They have completely different properties and qualities. Truth be told, when I am successful, I could sell a visor, but I don't think you would be too happy with the cost. Not saying that I would overcharge, but just saying that my expectations of quality and the cost that it takes me to get there are usually very high. If I were to think about recuperating some of my costs in doing so as well as add in the cost of your materials, I would charge fairly. Unfortunately, that fair charge would still be pretty darned high.

Lastly, and most importantly... the Rogue visor is not a generic one-size-fits-all. If you changed the pep file, it would not work. If your piece varied in width from mine (the most vulnerable dimension), it would not fit. There are too many variables to have with that visor for me to be comfortable with stating that if I did in fact make you a visor, that it would be compatible with your helmet.

Alternatively, you could always purchase some colored acrylic, cut, heat-bend and glue pieces to replicate it. That would be your most cost-effective and "assured that it would fit" method.

I hope this helps. If you do want to take that chance further down the road with me making you one, let me know. I took on the Rogue helmet not only because it looked cool, but because of the visor and the level of difficulty it would be.

My ears were burning...

Making a good buck is a bit tricky, but I found it was a labor of love! The ODST is a popular one because before H4 only EVA and ODST really needed one. The rest could be made by layering cheap motorcycle visors. If you are looking for inspiration or whatever for Vacuforming, check out my thread (the ODST one in my signature) or Sean Bradley or Sean Thorsson's (Thorssoli). Thorssoli made an EVA and also the infamous Warhammer Marine with vacuforming. If you get to Infantryman, you can always ask for someone to do the pulling for you (It's easier if you supply the buck/plug/mold).

I've always been curious about the Sean Bradley visors. Does he still hand mirror them with mirrachrome/spazstix? I'd appreciate if one of the owners would post pictures.. See how mine are by comparison!

My ears were burning...

Making a good buck is a bit tricky, but I found it was a labor of love! The ODST is a popular one because before H4 only EVA and ODST really needed one. The rest could be made by layering cheap motorcycle visors. If you are looking for inspiration or whatever for Vacuforming, check out my thread (the ODST one in my signature) or Sean Bradley or Sean Thorsson's (Thorssoli). Thorssoli made an EVA and also the infamous Warhammer Marine with vacuforming. If you get to Infantryman, you can always ask for someone to do the pulling for you (It's easier if you supply the buck/plug/mold).

I've always been curious about the Sean Bradley visors. Does he still hand mirror them with mirrachrome/spazstix? I'd appreciate if one of the owners would post pictures.. See how mine are by comparison!

Are yours mirrored?

I hand mirror mine. I am aware there are services near me where I can get them professionally iridium plated, but it's a tad expensive (maybe for my personal visor I'll shell out the 100-300$)

I've yet to personally try vacuforming any of the pre-coated acrylic sheets out there, I am worried about the coating burning the acrylic.

I hand mirror mine. I am aware there are services near me where I can get them professionally iridium plated, but it's a tad expensive (maybe for my personal visor I'll shell out the 100-300$)

I've yet to personally try vacuforming any of the pre-coated acrylic sheets out there, I am worried about the coating burning the acrylic.

Iridium would be so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back