Armor Coat expanding foam helmet(updated)

helmet

• Awesome!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cool!!

• pretty good

• Great except for too much battle damage

• Crap

• thrown together in 5 minutes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Not supposed to double post...

2. I don't need anymore of the nonsense... Get back on topic...

3. It's getting late in Indiana... I'm going to bed...

Hi Five, Agent Orange...

:p

Andrew L said:
i dunno how to edit your previous post WITH a reply. My bad. Delete them all if you like.

We can't delete them... -.-... In the lower right corner of your reply it says [X Delete] [+ Edit] [+ Quote] [" Reply]

Good Night...

Now, Back to the Topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the helmets and armor displayed on this site, whether they be completed or in the process thereof, tend to have sharp angles and smooth faces - much like the 3D models everybody starts with in Pepakura. Sure, many of them may be a bit more rounded on the edges after fiberglassing, sanding, and paint, but there's a definite "finished" look to them. So I think you might have been wise to the possibility that your helmet (I'm sure you put a lot of work into it and that's to be applauded - I'm not trying to bash you here) would receive a lukewarm response. It is a bit lumpy. The foam filler is meant to be just that - filler, not a substitute for fiberglassing. I suggest that you smooth out the rough gouges and bumps with a healthy attack of sandpaper, but then again, you say that you're happy with it, so it doesn't really matter.

In any event, it seems to me that the people who start these armor projects in here fall into two categories: those who are operating with a large budget and are looking to create as realistic-looking armor as they possibly can (without vacu-forming), and those who are just trying to create an original costume for Halloween. If you are trying to do the latter, then you're doing fine. If you're trying to do the realistic bit, though, I'd take two steps back and re-evaluate your method.

Oh, you say your folks have set a budget on your armor of $50. Before I found this forum, I came across a guy who made his armor out of cardboard for around $30 (I suspect that number would be higher had he not raided his parent's cupboards for supplies). You might want to check it out here.

Good luck!

link4044 said:
guys stop fighting and stop double posting or you will get suspend or banned

thank you link for stepping in... they needed a e-slap in the face by a moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical of a helmet that has been mached. Super lumpy.

Use a power sander/sandpaper and more plaster to make it more symmetrical.

My MK V helmet kind of looked like this and it was my first pep project (it was warped because I used regular paper) but an additional two weeks of work and lots of sanding made it awesome.

My opinion is that your helm is unfinished and has the potential to kick serious ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back