Armor that can take a point blank attack...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick242

Alright, now, this is my frist post, I stumbaled onto this place late last night and figured ied join up. You seem to have a welth of information I would like to have lol.

Ive been combing through and ive seen some interesting ways of makeing MJOLNIR style armor. Now, hes my question:

Is it posible to build a set that can take paintballs?

I havent paintball'ed in years, but im always coming up with new things for my friends to use. And the other day they told me about a 3 day war they where seting up down in Florida. And I had the sudden image of a guy in MJORLNIR armor come walking up a hill with a BFG in hand...

Im a wee bit twisted, case ya cant tell.

So now Ive got the idea in my head, and I need to at least try to get it out...

Thanks. And yes, I know my spelling sucks. Thanks for delving through it... Now, its time for me to go to bed @_@

you can absolutely make armor that can take paintballs...

a slightly flexible plastic made by smooth-on that is good for taking hits with a hammer, or impact pad. Sure, but it will be heavy.

you have a plethera of options
you can vac form abs plastic (the stuff my beer cooler is made of)
you can make several coats of fiberglass
i think i saw a cardboard form coated in truck bed liner

(dont know if the last one can take a paintball tho)

it all depends on velocity
jungle games and orbital chrono at 290fps

Adam said:
you can absolutely make armor that can take paintballs...

a slightly flexible plastic made by smooth-on that is good for taking hits with a hammer, or impact pad. Sure, but it will be heavy.

Im one of those freeks who, to break it in and get use to it (and to scare the ever loveing crap out of the people who live near me) would go for little jogs in full on MJOLNIR. Im guessing after a while after geting use to it and learning how to oporate within it that wont be a problem... Unless it turns out to be 50 lbs and you cane move worth slag.

But I think I can find ways around that... No life an all.

link4044 said:
do you live in florida?

Bah, gathering intel already ya spook? lol No, I havent lived in FL in almost 5 years. I kinda hate the place. People there I realy dont like. But I was born in Orlando and lived there till I was about 10, then in Tampa for a cupple years.

Get your AIs busy if ya want the rest ;)

starfox64 said:
you have a plethera of options
you can vac form abs plastic (the stuff my beer cooler is made of)
you can make several coats of fiberglass
i think i saw a cardboard form coated in truck bed liner

(dont know if the last one can take a paintball tho)

it all depends on velocity
jungle games and orbital chrono at 290fps

-snickers- Whats ironic is the guys that got this into my head drink so much theyre bloods proofed.

Now, just for refrance, we're talkin paint balls propelled by good ol'air? what would be the efectiveness vs Noss?

I ask becouse I think I figured out a way to rig up a automatic inside of a MA5B ICWS Assault Rifle case... Drawback is, I dont think anythign but noss can be used, sence the tube would have to be kinda small....

Last edited by a moderator:
umm im not spooked....i was just asking wanted to meet some people that like to build armor, b/c i live in orlando......guess that your too good for us

you dont have to use nitro
if you go to spec ops im pretty shute theres a remote line with a slide on/off and quick disconnect just have the adapter poking out and link up

and that comment about florida :cry1:

-eye brow twitches-

Now I remeber why I normaly dont use message boards.

link4044 said:
umm im not spooked....i was just asking wanted to meet some people that like to build armor, b/c i live in orlando......guess that your too good for us

ONI Officer = Spook, Spy, Intell, ectra.

starfox64 said:
you dont have to use nitro
if you go to spec ops im pretty shute theres a remote line with a slide on/off and quick disconnect just have the adapter poking out and link up

and that comment about florida :cry1:

Im just going to warn you, im rather deffencive about this crap. So you asked for it.

My sister lives in FL.
My sister spent the first 12 years of my life trying to kill me.
My sister killed my nephue and had a nice lagh about it.
My sister got off.

And shes only one of several people who make me want to keep out of the state. I only go there every cupple years to visit my mother, and her side of the family. Other than that I try to say in the boondocks over here.

I have issues.

It wasnt ment to be offenceive, I was mearly stateing that I hate that area becouse of sever scumbags i know that live there.

Can you see my reasoning there?

ok if you said something long those lines in the 1st place it would have been ok
and ONI Officer means Moderator on this board

link4044 said:
ok if you said something long those lines in the 1st place it would have been ok
and ONI Officer means Moderator on this board

Im still gana call ya a Spook :D Several characters in a halo fic im toying with refer to ONI memebers as spooks. I know, Im a 19 year old through back to the Cold War eara. >>'

starfox64 said:
omg dude i didnt know sry want me to kill her i can have it arranged :gun5: just an offer

lol No thats fine, thanks tho. And sorry I kinda let lose back there. I avoid boards like the plage becouse the first board i ever joind I got flamed for 27 pages for saying "Hi, Im new." as my first sentance.

You can see why I avoid boards. Ive had very few good expearances on them, the 'trollers' tend to try and make theyre quota by ******* with people. >< Hence my defenciveness. Again sorry.

at the momant its all purely thyoretical. I tend to plan things before I tackle them head on. Im researching serveral difrent things at the momant, and I know how to make a mold. At the momant Im trying to figure out if I can use Plaster, or if I should just break down and use a rubber/sil of some sort.

Oh, and a friend recomended i not use painballs, but rig up a layzer tag set up. Wich would be cheeper, and more senceible. Then again, im crazy to boot. lol

You can cast resin into a plaster mold, but you can have no undercuts in your model, and you have to brush vaseline into the mold.

The resin shrinks enough that you can pop the castings out pretty easy.

But rubber of course yields higher quality castings...

I have an idea im going to begin working on when i have more money. i work at a watejet design and fab company in orlando and ive decided i want a thin gauge steel Master Chief helmet. im useing the dxf exported from pepakura to cut it and quote it without tabs. im positive that could stand up to paintballs.

unless you have some really nice built in fans/cooling system, im guessing that helmet is going to get hhhoootttt in the sun

im thinkin of using task 8 so far from what i read it is abou twice as strong and just coast a little more i am still reading it but go to smooth on.com and read about it it might work

Nick242 said:
Now, just for refrance, we're talkin paint balls propelled by good ol'air? what would be the efectiveness vs Noss?
I ask becouse I think I figured out a way to rig up a automatic inside of a MA5B ICWS Assault Rifle case... Drawback is, I dont think anythign but noss can be used, sence the tube would have to be kinda small....

This is a very debated point in paintball, but nothing says that there is any difference whatsoever between compressed air and Nitrogen. Unless of course you are talking about CO2, which is in the cheaper tanks you can get at walmart. There is a huge difference. first of all, CO2 can ruin higher end guns, because when compressed it turns into a liquid. when you shoot fast, The tank must become colder to convert the liquid to a gas faster. Thus, condensation is formed. Liquid CO2 can shoot up into your gun ruining valves and shorting solinoids, not to mention shootdown (loss of pressure, causing shots to gradually shoot less far when shooting quickly). Other than that, there is no differnce in the way it is hooked up. The tube your talking about, do you mean a macroline or remote? Because both can be used with CO2. I too will be putting my gun into my AR as soon as im done glassing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back