Where
Hey y'all!

Figured I'd share this model for an AirTag holder that fits nicely inside the lid of those popular Sterilite footlockers a lot of us use for carrying armor to cons and such. The base of it fits snugly into one of the indentations on the underside of the lid and can be tacked in place with super glue on the edges to keep it secure. The top "lid" can be put in place with velcro, and that has the bonus effect of giving a little gap for the sound (and bluetooth/UWB precision finding signals!) to come out so it's not totally sealed. I've attached the models to this post.

(I've also thrown in a picture of my armor crates I finished labeling a few weeks ago; I'm super happy with how they turned out. I even used the correct fonts from the 405th style guide!)

View attachment 345536

View attachment 345532
View attachment 345533
where did you get the decals for your totes or do you still have the files for them so I can get some printed for mine

Where

where did you get the decals for your totes or do you still have the files for them so I can get some printed for mine
The very first post in this thread has templates and files for making your own labels using one of the many brands of Vinyl decal cutters.

MicaHusky Thanks for the awesome model to hold the air tags! I will be printing this and using it soon.

Joined the husky gang

Attachments

• 20240402_183416.jpg
    20240402_183416.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
I was inspired by MicaHusky and decided to model my own AirTag holder. Putting the files here for others to use if they want them.

1713268740425.png
IMG_5210.jpg

The lid here slides into place to hold it secure. There is also a cutout so you can remove the holder from the case if you want.

Attachments

• Lid with Text.stl
    76.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Holder.stl
    179.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Lid.stl
    12.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Thought I'd add my transport documentation to give an example of how I did it for non-armour, and for travelling overseas. Thanks to those who submitted theirs here before that I was able to base mine off!
If I had my international phone number before I took off, I would've added it here too. Another thing I did was with all the individual boxes that contained items, I wrote on a masking tape label what was in the box.

Also to note, the feathers that are on the tentacles (not shown below) and antannae are dyed ostrich feathers, and because they are an animal product, I did not attach them until I got into Canada. These were kept in the original packaging (with printed listing info of the product included) so that in case customs had to confiscate them, they could throw away just the feathers and not the tentacles/antannae.
Engineer Travel Documentation_page-0001.jpg
Engineer Travel Documentation_page-0002.jpg

Finally getting around to documenting how I traveled with my MKVI suit to Calgary Canada!

Massive thanks to Rock Lobbster for all of the insights traveling with Sterilite foot lockers. They worked wonders!

For anyone else that gets these to travel, if you have wo of them, I suggest getting something to strap them together and a nice handle to make it easier to wheel them around.

I used a replacement pull start handle and a lashing strap:
Handle.png
Strap.png

I also want to thank Asgardianhammer for the templates. I used them for a bunch of inspiration to decorate my crates.

IMG_5279.jpg

Not pictured:
Side 1: Midwest Logo
Side 2: 405th Logo
Back: More Arrows + Spartan II Logo

Obscured by the handle is my personal logo.

I also created an information sheet to go in each case using multiple others as inspiration.

Case Sheet.png

In summary I can say that my armor made it up to Calgary and back without any damage! The one lesson learned that I have is that the vinyl that I put on top of the case doesn't stick as well as hoped. I think I will eventually go back and make stencils and paint graphics on.

This post will be a well collected trove of info for all of you traveling with armor and armor storage.

Information
So a few quick notes about the types of totes available. Even though there are a lot of totes out there today we will focus on two Sterilite Totes in particular:
1. The Sterilite Plastic Foot Locker with Wheels - 31 1/4" x 17 5/8" x 13 7/8" and retails for around $30.00 USD
View attachment 319741
2. The Sterilite Jumbo Tote with Wheels - 37"x21"x18" 40 gallon and just under $60.00 USD and available in red and yellow accents.
View attachment 319742

Both readily available and easy to find online or in your large box store. The upside to both of these units is if you fly on Southwest these fly free if they come in under 50lbs. We will talk more about that later.

The lid captures on both ends of the 40 gallon tote can be removed and stored inside the tote until your destination is reached. The top is made with four pass through holes for bungie cords or zipties and or locks (i don't recommend locks for TSA purposes.)

The Foot Locker will require two 1/4" holes to be drilled through the top and the bottom on each end to secure the lid closed as you do not want to rely on the hasps to secure this in travel.

I have been told that an entire ODST Kit will nest up nicely in the Foot Locker. It will take one of each size more than likely for Spartan Armor. It did with mine.

Painting:
So as a general rule of thumb for all purchased parts: CLEAN THEM!!
I clean all surfaces with some isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry throughoughly before applying any stencils. Stencils can be made from tape, vinyl etc. Make sure to squeegee down all masked edges well, to help avoid paint creep.

Next I prefer to use Duplicolors Adhesion Promoter and apply according to manufacturer instructions. All of my paint for these applications I choose again Duplicolor or another brands lacquer based paints. Don't apply so heavily that your paint runs. Next I peel all of my masking while the paint is still soft or wet.
I am attaching my stencils to this thread for your use. Any overspray from painting can be cleaned up with a rag and some acetone.

View attachment 319751View attachment 319750View attachment 319752

You can see all of the various totes from fellow members in the last shot. These were folks who traveled from various parts of North America and I am certain their experiences were each unique for traveling.

Packing and Traveling:
When packing your items experiment with how to best nest your soft and hard parts. Make accommodations for any extras such as repair items and make sure lids close properly without pressing down on parts. Add any padding necessary such as a towel or foam to avoid scratches when traveling. Keep in mind that TSA if you are flying may need to go through your boxes so ensure you have enough space that if they repack you won't have items getting damaged.

Checking your tote as luggage, Like i said previously Southwest flies two checked bags for free as long as they each weigh less than 50lbs. Airlines calculate the size of the bin as width+height+depth. If it is under 80" you are usually okay. the 40gallon tote is just slightly over this but they accepted it anyways.

Lastly most helmets are best kept in a drawstring bag and on your person while traveling. Take this as a carry-on item when flying. It makes for a great conversation starter!

View attachment 319753

Last items to note. Place a ziplock bag attached to the inside lid of your totes with additional zipties should TSA need to gain access to your bin there will be extras for TSA Agents to secure your Armor Bin. I also placed one last item in my bins. Here you can see my Ziptie locations on my boxes. You can see where I drilled holes on the end of the 22gallon tote.
View attachment 319766

A photo reference of the contents and on the wearer with contact information and and gentle note to Agents requesting care and an approximate value of the items along with an explanation of what it is. Keep in mind that everyone does not know what Cosplay is but most people know what Costumes are. Here is what my laminated Armor Packing Notification looks like.

Also as a SIDE NOTE: I have never flown with Prop weapons and as a result do not know how that goes over with Agents. I would take the utmost care to make sure those items are peace bonded with zipties with notes tied to them as to what they are and non-functioning.

View attachment 319755

A well painted armor box makes a great addition as scenery in a con booth as well and is free advertising for your regiment and the 405th as a whole.

On the whole my armor has flown across the country and back with no issues. Not paying an additional charge to ship what i thought for sure would be oversized was a huge cost savings. The more professional you can make your gear look while in storage and traveling the less likely it will be mistreated. That is not to say that will always be the case.

I hope this has been insightful and there are further references attached to this post. Please share your bins and any travel experiences you have had.
Until next time kids..and don't forget to put the toilet seat down.
Does anyone know or remember which brand of tote JTF4 uses for his foam master chief? I've been trying to look for it but I haven't found it yet looking to either get it for myself or cherri

Does anyone know or remember which brand of tote JTF4 uses for his foam master chief? I've been trying to look for it but I haven't found it yet looking to either get it for myself or cherri
Have you tried asking JTF4 himself? He's a very helpful and friendly dude who is pretty active both here and on Discord.

I am pretty sure that it is the same crate that many of us have.

I use the Husky rolling toolbox for chief.

Here's the newer version of mine:

For all my other stuff, I use pelican IM3075 crates.

When running these crates through airlines, are they considered oversized if you keep the total weight under 50lbs? the sites look like they are adding length, width and depth to be under 62" but that doesn't leave much room for anything. I need a good travel tote

When running these crates through airlines, are they considered oversized if you keep the total weight under 50lbs? the sites look like they are adding length, width and depth to be under 62" but that doesn't leave much room for anything. I need a good travel tote
I was able to fly with both of these and didn't have any issues with oversized.

1719929277123.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back