Armouredapostle's First Build, Second Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceramicist

Jr Member
So I need to charge up the camera to post progress pics, and ill get some of the older pics transferred to this thread from the old one. Going to be doing more resin work tonight, looking like im on schedule for dragoncon 2010!

edited:

ok, got some pics, the coolest are on my cell phone though, and i cant find my transfer cable OR my mini disk adaptor. so eventually ill have those on here too.

in case this doesnt give it away, ill just state here that im going to be sporting an assault rifle...

and this is where all the magic has happened so far. I do most of my peps while watching a movie or tv show, I find it easier to concentrate on it when Im distracted, go figure...

so..... I kinda lost one of the pep pieces of my chestpiece, its part of the rear left shoulder vent area, I will at some point open the model up, scale it several different ways, and pic whichever one looks the closest to the right size. This is why you should document what size you scale to, I copy the largest dimension down on a workpad now, that way i know if i lose anything in the future.

This is like a drying rack slash storage area, my wife got tired of all the pieces cluttering up the area... I was kind of tired of it too, but I was more of the opinion that we should move furniture out to make room for more pieces. You can obviously see who won that debate. *shrugs* at least she lets me do stuff like this, I have friends who would promptly be told to grow up and fix something around the house.

And this is the resin table. I have discovered that even with exceptional ventilation the fumes from the resin move up through the floor into our house, so this table will have to be moved outside when I work now. No sense in getting the pregnant wife and the 3 year old full of lung problems, hospital visits take time away from ARMOR!

I almost dont want to post this pic, my cheek looks like it sags the way an old boob does. I hope its just the angle im sitting at, I havent noticed this before. Anyway, thats me workin, I think im watching V or Fringe or something with the wife, working on one of my redo pieces.

And this was the first pepped suit. I have since replaced many of the peps with high detail versions. That means that yes, by the time I finish I will have a complete set of low poly armor sitting around collecting dust. Im hoping one of the kids in the nieghborhood or at church will take interest and then i can give them a quick start set to practice with. Although Im not sure that will help their pep skills, but sometimes the younger armorers need fast results to remain interested. Sometimes I sure do.

So now I have proof, And I hope this thread doesnt get locked. As soon as my cellphone cord shows up, or i find the disk adaptor, I will post all the rest of the pics I took.

On a side note, what do i have to do to get the pictures to be smaller in the thread? I noticed how everyone elses thread the pics shrink and then you can click to enlarge them. Does this just happen or is there a step I have missed?

ArmouredApostle said:
So I need to charge up the camera to post progress pics, and ill get some of the older pics transferred to this thread from the old one. Going to be doing more resin work tonight, looking like im on schedule for dragoncon 2010!

Thats GREAT news! Glad I'll be seeing you at Dragoncon this year. Cant wait to see how your resin work turns out so I can maybe learn from it :lol I would hurry and post some pictures soon though, I've heard something about a blue monkey coming after WIP threads with no pictures :eek I'll be sticking around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monicator said:
I would hurry and post some pictures soon though, I've heard something about a blue monkey coming after WIP threads with no pictures :eek

HAHAHAHA

That's great.

But Monicator is right. Progress posts without showing any progress are a no-no, especially a second(?) progress thread. Is that necessary?

I'll be interested to see what work you've done. As everybody else said, don't anger the laser-eyed blue monkey. ;)

Cheers!

well.... the whole reason for the second thread is that someone locked my first thread. Not really sure why, but I wasnt done with my suit at the point that they locked it, so i started a new thread. got progress pics taken, need to find the cord to transfer them to my pc. the resin is going really good, I have been turning out pieces left and right, and I have decided that my low poly suit is gonna sit in the corner and not get finished. I am looking at it and I really really really dont want to spend all that time on the bondo details as compared to my current suit. I think i may have to re-pep the thighs, they have become warped, being one of the first pieces of the high detail suit that i made. gonna try a trick or two to restore proper form to them, but if i cant i will repep them and be done with it. so im thinking by the end of this month i should have one or two pieces mud-glassed and ready for some detail work and paint. we shall see. Gonna go look for the camera cord as soon as my daughter falls asleep. for those of you who dont have kids, toddlers are not to be trusted upstairs at night all by themselves, you would not believe how much damage she has done when we thought she was asleep. now i go and do the fail-proof test to see if she is asleep. i get real close and whisper "do you want a lollipop?" if she is awake she cant help but say yes. cruel, but effective hahahahaha!

The high def pieces look great so far. You sure got a lot of helmets, I think I see 4 of them. I also see you've been stocking up big time on those toy bootleg assault rifle look alikes :lol How they even got away with making those without Bungie/Microsoft on their back is beyond me. I would have went that route if they were not so kiddie sized. Its starting to get hot here in Georgia I should be resining my armors right now but I want to get my body armor first so I've been saving my money for that. Also Nicktendo released some way better HD shins and I'm going to build them to replace my old HD ones immediately :lol I really recommend those shins, they are seriously superior. Dont know what I'll do with my old ones, they will probably collect dust in the basement with my Epic Fail cod piece. (I over scaled it big time, its ridiculous)

I did go way overboard with the helmets, but it was in the interest of perfection. the first i made fit me perfectly, but was the low def model. the second was a smooth version of the low def, turned out waaaaaay too big, the third was a high def model, fits my three year old better than me, cant get it on my head with the collar finished. So the fourth, the FS model, fits like the first that i made, and came out perfectly symmetrical, no warpage anywhere that is significantly noticable.

I still have one shin to pep in the hd models, so I may just upgrade to the newer model like you, im just not sure yet. the differences are fairly minor, so i guess it depends on how much time i feel i have to backtrack for the third time.

The toy guns really dont look THAT bad. for anyone shorter than me, it is pretty close to scale. Im 6 foot 4 when I stand up straight, so they do look a little small on me. I will try to get some reference shots with it, its really only a couple of inches too short. I like the differences that it has from the actual model, makes it easy to tell who is sporting the toy gun. I will probably just replace the orange barrel with some pvcc pipe and paint it up like a rifle. maybe add some details to it like bolts and stuff, cut some details into it with the dremel etc.

Update: about halfway through with the fiberglass resin, still need to fix that missing piece of my chestpiece, strongly considering re-pepping to the new super hd shins, since i have one hd left to make anyway.

ok got more pics, finally found the adapter card for the chip in my phone, not as high quality as the previous pics, but I always have it on my person to take pics

Im sure everyone knows by now, if you bring it anywhere with you, they want to try it on!

Honestly, this was my least favorite piece to pep. I hated the feet!

another shot of the final helmet

the helmet problem. too small, just right, and too big, from left to right. and just right was low poly, so needed to make it again in HD

my daughter is a huge fan of the armor, I might make her a set for dragon con if I have enough time after mine.

helmet pieces separately, kinda cool. Im totally setting trends here! (not really but humor me hahaha)

Hoping to make some bondo progress soon so i can post more pics.

Fantastic job on your suit! I love the pic of your daughter wearing your helm. :lol

Just because I always ask,

Color?

Any plans for any weaponry?

Cheers!

Honestly I am torn on the color. On the one hand, I truly love the traditional MC colors, and I think they look very good when done properly. On the other hand, I love redvsblue, and wanted to do a red suit. Havent made a final choice yet. For weapons, I plan to first modify one of the buzz bee rifles, and then possibly tackle the turret gun. There is definitely something to be said for dragging a gun along thats nearly as massive as you.

Your daughter wearing the helmet cracked me up, that's just too cute!

Anyhow, great job so far! I can't believe you had to re-do the helmet that many times!! It looks so awesome!

Lookin good, hah love those helmet pictures. Are you trying to be a Master Chief Ninja? :lol I know how you feel about armor paint jobs! I'm having so much trouble deciding what color I want to be. Part of me wants to be the tan master chief with some halo legends style paint, the kind with the spartan number on the chest. Another part of me wants to be red/white, and another part of me even wants to be black/white. I dont know what to do so I wont think about it for now. You gonna lug around a big turret for Dragoncon? Can I take pics with it when I get there? LOL If I'm lucky I'll be bringing along my assault rifle and pistols, and if im REALLY lucky I'll have a light up energy sword with me...a very big one. I refuse to scale it to my height, it would look silly small.

Monicator said:
Lookin good, hah love those helmet pictures. Are you trying to be a Master Chief Ninja? :lol I know how you feel about armor paint jobs! I'm having so much trouble deciding what color I want to be. Part of me wants to be the tan master chief with some halo legends style paint, the kind with the spartan number on the chest. Another part of me wants to be red/white, and another part of me even wants to be black/white. I dont know what to do so I wont think about it for now. You gonna lug around a big turret for Dragoncon? Can I take pics with it when I get there? LOL If I'm lucky I'll be bringing along my assault rifle and pistols, and if im REALLY lucky I'll have a light up energy sword with me...a very big one. I refuse to scale it to my height, it would look silly small.

You know I just might try the energy sword build, put that idea I put in your thread to the test. I might have the first soda bottle energy sword.

wow, 94 days to go until dragon*con and your progress is making mine look like I just started. You're doing fantastic though. I really need to find my printer and get some resin supplies if I'm gonna be ready on time. It looks like your going to have plenty of time for finishing touches. I wish you the best of luck. See you at dragon*con!

Im so pissed. I am not going to make it to Dragoncon. I wont have my costume done, and I am not walking around for 4 days just to stare at other people's costumes with a price tag of 100 dollars on the weekend. Hopefully I will finish by halloween, and maybe enter a couple of costume contests to make some cash... hope everyone else who goes this year takes lots of pics so I can live vicariously.

ok so I JUST noticed that all my pics are toast. Anyone who is more savvy with the forums than me gimme a hand, how do I get the pics back? also, started some serious work on the armor, gonna start turning out pieces in hopes of being finished for Halo-ween.

Were you linking your pics from a hosting site like photobucket or direct uploading? It seems like we lost alot of site exclusive content with the reboot.

I think they were all direct uploaded, guess I will need to re-upload them. yay more work. On a positive note, I have a small amount of finish work and then my handplates will be done, some smoothing work on the forearms and they will be paint ready, and things are moving along.

d93a3d9b.jpg

Does this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back