Atelier YapFlip @ Otafest 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

CplYapFlip

BMO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S237
I mentioned it in my Spartan build, but at the news my favourite con would finally be happening again this May I was like

1643082899253.png

I've wanted to get working on my cosplay plans for the con, and since it's only a two day con I had one slot for the non-Spartan day. I set myself the goal to decide over the weekend what I was going to make for my non-Spartan day, or else it would default to a coin toss between two characters. And then I did nothing about it for a few weeks.

Then on Friday I learned that the 25th Anniversary for one of my favourite video game series was also this May.

1643077597027.png

Clearly it was a sign. I immediately lost any ability to focus on anything at work. So that night I gathered all the characters I could find so I don't do the classic move of picking a cosplay, getting it started and finding I should have done a different character.

1643076386529.png

I knew going into it that I wanted a character who would have a prop, ideally a staff or a weapon (though I eventually conceded it needed to be a staff) After looking through as many group shots I could find, I had a long list ones I'd be interesting in making.

I cut down the long list by asking myself if I was really willing deal with certain details (a complex knitted shawl, many eyelet'd skirt with dip dyes) and quite a few where as much as I love the character, love the design-- I just would not be comfortable wearing it myself (a step that seems obvious but has definitely not been a consideration for my previous cos-dream lists)
I also tossed all the options into a random name picker and it kept picking one over and over again like "THIS ONE" and when I wasn't like "ya ok"-- I knew that meant it should be taken off the list.

1643085862824.png

My short list looked great on paper, but unfortunately Sophie still had 3 versions to choose from. I sent a picture of the 4 options to a couple of friends to get their opinions. I knocked off one of them (#4) and had my final 3.

1643087855774.png

Luckily, my final two characters are from the same trilogy. So I've ordered an artbook in hopes it might tell me secrets about their outfits and help me decide for sure. While I'm waiting for that to show up, I figured I could very loosely plan out what I would need for each of the options (again to sus out if there are any deal breakers that I don't want to deal with, which would help me make up my mind.)

Doing this helped me determine that Firis was hands down the most complicated build of the three options, mainly due to the organic looking crystal pieces of her headpiece and staff. When I first realized this, it didn't really help make up my mind-- but I'm now reasonably certain I'll be doing one of the Sophie designs for Otafest (I just want to give myself the out to change my mind after I receive my art book).

1643085869215.png
1643085883927.png

I'm not 100% on *which* Sophie design of the two I'd prefer to do, and this is further made tricky in that this version:

sophie 4.png

Is apparently from a game that's coming out at the end of next month. (Yeah it's one of my favourite video game series but I haven't been up on news. I mean I just found out its their 25th anniversary, what do you expect? :lol:)

I'm fine with holding off until the game comes out to solidifying which version I'll be doing since luckily, they are very similar and I should be able to still get things started-- particularly with the base of the coat (with room to change up the small differences after deciding). As well as determining what materials to use for the backpack, and maybe commissioning a TurboCharizard to model the staff for me. As well as ordering the wig. All before knowing exactly which one I'll be doing!

Step one I'm going to tear our one closet apart since Turbo did a New Vegas Ranger back in the day, and I wanna see if I can find and adjust the jacket pattern he used for it.
Step two is ordering the wig after my next pay check (no I don't know why I can buy the art book without waiting for pay day but the wig has to wait, please don't question me and my loosey goosey morals on finance. It is in fact, decided at random and I cannot explain myself)
Step three is cry over the fact that my Atelier Sophie save files were so corrupt the PS Vita deleted them
Step four is accept that I get to play Atelier Sophie all over again while I wait for Atelier Sophie 2 to come out next month

Otafest is 117 Days away! (not planned, how fortuitous!)

Jammin over here like:
1645594272144.png

You can commission him too, don't be jealous.

Mini Update:
I have preordered a wig, which will be here
I Have No Idea Shrug GIF

Still haven't cleaned out sewing closet to look for jacket pattern but I did open my closet and let all the mess tumble out onto the floor. Whee?

I gathered up references for the staff. Slowly collecting other references for things I'd like modelled for me.

Planning to do some Skillshare classes to make the coat toggles for myself since they're reasonably simple flat shapes.
1645594801828.png

Unfortunately while collecting references I stumbled on another Sophie option:
7inrk2lve1h61.jpg

[so stinkin' cute!]

I'm still reasonably certain I'll be doing the newest version in the game that's coming out on Friday, but this version is in that game too so I can't completely discount it yet can I?

I've been really enjoying binging through Atelier Sophie in the mean time.

Otafest is 88 Days away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back