Attack of the Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier said:
so...what your saying is that your constantly trying to make your mac a pc.
a PC i saw in the paper today owns a mac any day for 630 dollars, meaning for the same price, you get like 3x more crap.

amd 64 x2 5200+
3gig of ddr2 memory
500gig HDD
Nvidia 8600 256mb graphic
tv tuner
16x duel layer dvd burner with light scribe

for 600 dollars, you cant find these specs in a mac.

ecose said:
you can play WOW on a mac
.....not everyone plays WoW.....

Last edited by a moderator:
AoBfrost said:
a PC i saw in the paper today owns a mac any day for 630 dollars, meaning for the same price, you get like 3x more crap.

amd 64 x2 5200+
3gig of ddr2 memory
500gig HDD
Nvidia 8600 256mb graphic
tv tuner
16x duel layer dvd burner with light scribe

for 600 dollars, you cant find these specs in a mac.
.....not everyone plays WoW.....

i do so what... i bet a bunch of people play here

Shazam!

Yeah, you also cant find a windows based laptop with those specs under 10 pounds. Mine weighs in at a whopping 4 pounds. No doubt, for hardcore gaming a windows machine is killer. But that list provides undisputeable proof that there are more than 4 games out there and that apple will eventually get around to being more game friendly.

Let me get this straight.. You can get a mac to run windows...

So the idea is that you buy a more expensive machine, in order to make it "pretend" to be a less expensive machine, so you can do all the things that the more expensive machine can't do?!?

GENIUS!!
I am throwing my PS1 in the trash and buying a PS3 with backwards compatibility!!!

PS, don't say that vista is copying the features found in macs. You people forget that SGI machines had the same features, including VECTOR icons, back in the early 90s ;)

this thread is really getting out of hand

when was the last time somebody got a virus on a mac?

this battle will never end

(for the record i own a pc)

but is the flaming really necessary?

a bunch of apple pc's against a **** load of spartans with breakable armor... i think its pretty fair... seeing spartans never die!!!

CPU64 said:
Let me get this straight.. You can get a mac to run windows...

So the idea is that you buy a more expensive machine, in order to make it "pretend" to be a less expensive machine, so you can do all the things that the more expensive machine can't do?!?

GENIUS!!
I am throwing my PS1 in the trash and buying a PS3 with backwards compatibility!!!

PS, don't say that vista is copying the features found in macs. You people forget that SGI machines had the same features, including VECTOR icons, back in the early 90s ;)

What teh fook are you babbling on about. Yes. Games are played better on windows machines. Editing movie, pictures and such are better handled on a mac. Its personal preference. But as far as networking goes in xp ? I mean, cmon, its a joke. I get xp my printers direct mac and ip address and it STILL couldnt see it. games are about the only thing I will use windows for.

Yes you can run osX on a pc but its buggy as nobodys business. You can buy a nice machine from apple. That will run a clean os, thats simple. More importantly, it works. Networking is a breeze.

Ive probably seen the "macs can play games, all 5 of them!" so many times. You obviously have not done any research at all. There are lots of games coming out on the mac. Rage, Fallout 3 and so on. Plus all the mainstream games that are allready out.

This debate will never be settled. Ever. Itll be hardcore macies verses the windows fanboys. Its like Nintendo vs Sony. Itll never end. Ever.

Yay for windows vista. They now have Gadgets! Woo. Its slow, crappy and feels about as productive as a bloated beached whale. I had the fine opportunity to use a Vista machine and windows gave me an alert to ask me to give it permission to let vista keep running. It thought itself was a virus. The os is about as entertaining as a steaming pile of dog poo.

In the end, I bought a mac for video and picture editing. It plays Halo CE okay, but not great. My pc machine plays it just fine. I play games on my 360, wii, and windows machine. So, if your going to convince anyone not to buy a mac, your going to have to come up with a more convincing argument then "apple stole from microsoft, and, pc has more and better games" Reality check. All the games on pc, are on the mac, except the sucky ones.

People buy macs because they work and when they break, which they do, because they are human built machines which can and will fail at the most in opportune time, but when they do, apple replaces parts and fixes everything for free most of the time.

blinkava44 said:
this thread is really getting out of hand

when was the last time somebody got a virus on a mac?

this battle will never end

(for the record i own a pc)

but is the flaming really necessary?
When was the last time I got a virus on my own PC.....ummmmm never, thanks avg.
Your PC/mac is as safe as you make it, I know viruses for mac's are less common, but dont act like none exist, they do, and same for the nintendo ds....yes there are viruses which brick your system.

drgon47 said:
This debate will never be settled. Ever. Itll be hardcore macies verses the windows fanboys. Its like Nintendo vs Sony. Itll never end. Ever.

its interesting how you turn the windows users into fanboys.

Because the points they try and make are about as classy and valid as a fanboys. Show me an educated windows user who is really, truly satisfied with the os. Especially with vista.

Okay, Windows users vs Mac addicts. All better ?

Its also interesting out of that whole post thats the only thing you can try and pick a fight about. Im not here about a fight over whos better.

ok dragon47

how does a mac handle movie and picture editing better? i have photoshop CS3 for my PC which hey, best photo editing software there is. i have adobe premiere and thats pretty good for movie editing, so please, how does YOUR mac handle movie and picture editing BETTER than my pc?

one time i saw a comercial where it was a mac vs pc comercial and the mac guy was like "hey i can stimulate your imagination with my ilife blah blah blah, itunes for your music and whatever" hey p.s. i have iTunes on my PC... thanks

if you buy a mac thinking that apple will just bail you out everytime your system crashes, and you have to reinstall the OS(and it will, often) you're dead wrong after a year you're on your own.

I bought my pc so I could fix it, because hey i'd rather have the options of overclocking whatever i want, or replacing my own memory that doesnt cost $250 for a 1gig stick of slow DDR ram, i like being able to add and remove hard drives at my whim, and upgrade my video card.

and no not everyone is happy with vista, but vista is brand new, its bound to have bugs, next year sometime microsoft will release a service pack that will be a free download or a very cheap purchase, where as apple just released leopard, for $100. what do you get for your $100? cosmetic interface changes.

I know i just started flaming but you made very direct and inaccurate attacks on something you probably have very limited information on, I used to Fix PCs as a technician, now i build custom PCs and sell them. and trust me, best bang for you buck, is a PC.

thefreeman said:
ok dragon47

how does a mac handle movie and picture editing better? i have photoshop CS3 for my PC which hey, best photo editing software there is. i have adobe premiere and thats pretty good for movie editing, so please, how does YOUR mac handle movie and picture editing BETTER than my pc?

one time i saw a comercial where it was a mac vs pc comercial and the mac guy was like "hey i can stimulate your imagination with my ilife blah blah blah, itunes for your music and whatever" hey p.s. i have iTunes on my PC... thanks

if you buy a mac thinking that apple will just bail you out everytime your system crashes, and you have to reinstall the OS(and it will, often) you're dead wrong after a year you're on your own.

I bought my pc so I could fix it, because hey i'd rather have the options of overclocking whatever i want, or replacing my own memory that doesnt cost $250 for a 1gig stick of slow DDR ram, i like being able to add and remove hard drives at my whim, and upgrade my video card.

and no not everyone is happy with vista, but vista is brand new, its bound to have bugs, next year sometime microsoft will release a service pack that will be a free download or a very cheap purchase, where as apple just released leopard, for $100. what do you get for your $100? cosmetic interface changes.Make

I know i just started flaming but you made very direct and inaccurate attacks on something you probably have very limited information on, I used to Fix PCs as a technician, now i build custom PCs and sell them. and trust me, best bang for you buck, is a PC.

Okay. My whole part in this is not to be construed as arguing. You and I are having a friendly debate on pros and cons of pc's vs macs agreed ?

How much of professional movie editing is done with a windows based machine. I'm talking any major film company. 0. I think that says a little something. Its easy, simple, and for some reason, which I have no idea why, colors show much better on any mac platform. I dont know why, they just do. Thats not a very credible reason though. But having a billion, possibly trillion dollar industry use macs for video editing is saying something eh ;)

Next, your mac vs pc commerial point.....there was no point. You just sorta rambled about it then said iTunes is on windows. Yes it is. Is iphoto ? What does windows have that remotely compares to the ease and functionality that it provides. iMovie. Easy. I use that on my video tutorials. Windows movie editor....meh, lets not go there.

I had a buddy accedintaly delete a core file from his macbook. It screwed the computer over so bad it would not boot. Plugged in a firewire cable, booted it in Target Disk Mode, which essentially boots the damaged computer as an external HD. He replaced the file from a buddy computer, and bam, worked no problem. Now if something does go terribly wrong after your warranty is out, then yeah, youll have to pay to get it fixed. Which is expected. Or you could get the apple protection plan and not have to worry about it at all.

About swapping and upgrading your dead right. Apple has their own proprietary hardware. Which is good because it works. All the time. Makes things much easier to fix in the long run. With a homebuilt its a little harder. A certain motherboard may not support a video card correctly, or a sound card may have some audio artifacting due to a driver compatibility issue. But as far as upgrading go, windows machines have apple beat. I also have DDR SDRAM, but thats because I have an older mac. Powerbook G4. My extra memory which i upgraded myself, was only 40 dollars. Hmm, same prices as anyone else. I got mine from newegg.

Windows vista costs what, 199$ basic ? 299$ premium. Ultimate a whopping 400 dollars ?! And the os isnt even remotely stable. Plus why would you wait a year or so for a bug fix pack....let alone have to pay for it ? Leopard has been out for the better part of 3 weeks. Theyve allready patched and fixed several issues. 100 price tag. Free fixes included ;)

Again, friendly debate.

cheers,
eric

you really cant compare the price of vista to the price of leopard, leopard isnt a new operating system, its a graphical upgrade to an old operating system, and when OSX came out it was just as buggy as vista.

and if you actually knew much about vista you would know that when you set up an administrator account, you set all the privileges to your main user account, and it wont ask you to do everything every random time, just everytime it detects something new it doesnt recognize, like a virus, or new software.

i really didnt mean to come out swinging, i just dont like it when people take personal shots at windows without knowing all the facts, I dont mind macs, if I needed a new laptop i'd probably buy a Mac, but as far as a desktop or performance computer, I'll build or buy a PC anyday, simply because i can build a $1000 PC with specs that TRUMP STOMP AND KILL any hardware you can get from a mac. It doesn't matter if they release new games for mac, because ATI video cards suck, and you can only have one of them.

i really am sorry for coming off as standoffish, but I dont like seeing people argue facts that are horribly exaggerated or just plain not true.

Agreed. Apple has a bad selection of video cards. But macs use the crap out of their ram. Windows doesnt. Windows uses the crap out of their video cards.

I do have a windows machine. XP Professional. I dont mind it. Its decent except for the networking =/

I am for the record, going to be building a fresh gaming PC here in the near future. Im also buying a new iMac for video editing my movie im working on currently. My laptop just isnt cutting it. Gaming is home on a windows machine for sure. I bought my mac laptop because its light and itll run most heavy weight programs such as CS3 and iMovie with no problem. The problem lies in, and get this, that my cam corder shoots in 720 in h.264 encoding. My laptop isnt fast enough to decompress it without dropping frames like crazy. Oh well.

The only thing that still hits me wrong about vista is they spent, ya know, like, 4-5 years on it....its still buggy. Really buggy. If that multi billion dollar company has that many resources youd think they could churned out in 5 years something a little, cleaner and smoother running. Meh, I dunno. Maybe in a few years vista will be worth buying....

PM sent about the gaming pc building matter.

cheers.

lets say it like this, im educated in computers and build computers in my free time, i love XP, im not saying its the best, but neither is OSX. you cant say PC or Mac anymore, because a Mac is a PC, just with a different OS. Everything inside a Mac can be inside a PC.

Most movies and pictures are made with OSX, it is superior in that field, but XP has cornered the business market as well as the gaming market, mainly because of how inexpensive they are and the fact that they are compatible with everything, and easy to use.

Now, We've all heard the "apple has 5 games" thing, but we've also heard the "vista sucks, and its glitchy" guess which one is true? neither. vista rocks, there are some compatibility issues, but there always are with major upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back