Battle Damage Techniques (Special)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holy Sp4rt4n

I read another thread about this, but I thought we all should compile a list of the techniques, and new ones that we have.

1. New Idea I think: Plasma Burn, take a paintball gun and shoot a black paintball at the armor, closer for smaller, farther for larger. (Untested, thanks drgon47 for inspiration)

2. Silver paint brush, to make scratches.

Ideas about how to make dents without hurting armor would be great!

black, or red paintballs dont exist. the paint that is released must not look like blood. the paint is always colorful and bright. and about the battle damage, i think just rough it up a bit. maybe put some dirt on it and smudge. scratch the suit with a sharp stick maybe.

to make silver scratches buy some silver paint, apply a light amount onto a wire scowl (a washing up thingy is the other way i would describe it) and brush lightly until desired effect. This worked well for me but use a test piece first to ensure perfect results.

Also for a nice effects in cracks of the armor that need to be darkened or to give a darker effect to a paint job apply thin layers of black gloss enamel (im english so i got mine at hobbycraft but i'm sure walmart should stock it :) ) i'll try to post some pics of theses effects soon.

For silver scratches:
When you're painting, paint a few coats of supershiny silver as a base coat. Then paint over that with one or two coats of your desired color of armor. Then hit the spots you want to have the battle damage at with sandpaper; sand away the top layer of color, exposing the silver.

I've heard of someone heating up a rock, then pressing it up against the side where you want a realistic looking bullet pock mark. (I have not tested this)

Holy Sp4rt4n said:
I read another thread about this, but I thought we all should compile a list of the techniques, and new ones that we have.

1. New Idea I think: Plasma Burn, take a paintball gun and shoot a black paintball at the armor, closer for smaller, farther for larger. (Untested, thanks drgon47 for inspiration)

2. Silver paint brush, to make scratches.

Ideas about how to make dents without hurting armor would be great!

he's right, there is no black, not to mention, paintball paint washes off.

Last edited by a moderator:
could put some paint in a balloon then add water to make a water/paint balloon. The paint would splatter in a reandom fashion due to the water????

Great ideas guys I've wondered a while about this stuff. As for the wire scowl, I think you mean a brillo pad (steel wool) right? or am I misled. As for the plasma burn you could always hit a slab of something with any paintball then you can recreate it on the armour just by painting free hand.

mud stain: get some dirt, Water it to make it mud, step in pile then jump on mud pile. Now take brown paint similar to the color, flake off the dirt areas, then paint it that way. I'm trying this on my boots but personally it would look odd anywhere else.

joshua61991 said:
Great ideas guys I've wondered a while about this stuff. As for the wire scowl, I think you mean a brillo pad (steel wool) right? or am I misled. As for the plasma burn you could always hit a slab of something with any paintball then you can recreate it on the armour just by painting free hand.

mud stain: get some dirt, Water it to make it mud, step in pile then jump on mud pile. Now take brown paint similar to the color, flake off the dirt areas, then paint it that way. I'm trying this on my boots but personally it would look odd anywhere else.

Yes, brillo pad (steel wool) is what i was trying to say lol, my mind was drawing a complete blank on that one.

If you do use brillo pads make sure you get steel wool without cleaning agent in it, That would be a problem. Usually the ones with the cleaner in them are blue. I do alot of dishes. Also if you havent used steel wool before wear thick gloves. they can easily cut you if your not familiar with them.

the paintball thing gave me an idea, could you shoot the armor with the paintball and leave the paint, splattered everywhere, then paint over it, like the toothpaste technique, that might work for a scorch mark if you shoot it at an angle

Shadow said:
the paintball thing gave me an idea, could you shoot the armor with the paintball and leave the paint, splattered everywhere, then paint over it, like the toothpaste technique, that might work for a scorch mark if you shoot it at an angle

If you paint over the paintball paint, the paint you want to have might not stick as good as you want. It would be better to shoot the paintball on something else until you get the splatter effect that you want and then use that as a template and then handpaint it on the armor.

Iv Always Used the dry Brush method,and just paint your armor like usual,then take a dry bush,and super slightly dip in into the silver paint,wiped some of the paint off and then start to brush your armor with it,it gives it the cool scratch effect. another way is to to paint a silver undercoat,and sand ir or use a brillopad (steel wool) to cip off the paint.

DYSTORTED INC said:

I thought this topic gives good idees for people how to add diffrent Battle damage details unto their suits/armors?.

Well, yeah... it did, Conny... two years ago.

But forum guidelines state that any sort of necro-posting is not allowed; anything not posted in in over thirty days is considered a necro-post, so it's important to check the date of the last reply before you post.

I believe the only exception to that is any threads/topics posted in the "Underarmor" sub-forum. Everywhere else here it's a big no-no, and is frowned upon by the Admin/Mod group. Just a friendly FYI, buddy ;)

Tmack674 said:
black, or red paintballs dont exist. the paint that is released must not look like blood. the paint is always colorful and bright. and about the battle damage, i think just rough it up a bit. maybe put some dirt on it and smudge. scratch the suit with a sharp stick maybe.

I have a bag of red paintballs sitting on a shelf. They do make red, but I have never heard of black :eek

Okay, dude... not to sound like a hard-@$$ or anything, but:

SPARTAN II said:
[...]

forum guidelines state that any sort of necro-posting is not allowed; anything not posted in in over thirty days is considered a necro-post, so it's important to check the date of the last reply before you post.

I believe the only exception to that is any threads/topics posted in the "Underarmor" sub-forum. Everywhere else here it's a big no-no, and is frowned upon by the Admin/Mod group.

[...]

So, please... stop posting in this topic. Don't perpetuate the cycle. This topic is no longer active; it was bumped up in error (the last "timely" post was made back in September 2007). I was simply posting a reply to inform The Swedish Chief of the forum guidelines. It was not my intent to continue this topic.

I think it's in our best interests if we just leave this alone now. We don't want to get the Banhammer brought down on us, after all (it wouldn't be that extreme, but you know what I mean) :unsure

I actually agree, this necro was a good one. Shadow made a very good point:

Shadow said:
leave the paint, splattered everywhere, then paint over it, like the toothpaste technique, that might work for a scorch mark if you shoot it at an angle

Too often I see people doing the toothpaste technique, and the resulting scratches just don't look real. The way he's describing would make it look exactly as if someone had splattered it with something, because someone did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back