Beginner Project for my 13 year old, need some tips please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firespirit98

Hey all!! My 13 year old son has decided that he would like to try his hand at making his own Halo Mark V armor for his school project this year. I have experience with sewing costumes but this is another level for me. We plan on working on this together so we need all the help we can get. He’s decided to make it from card stock instead of foam, but which would be easier for a complete novice, and where do we find the schematic files for a Mark V? All advice, tips, and tricks are welcome!

Welcome to the 405th! We have the Armory section filled with Pepakura and foam templates, as well as 3D models of Halo armours and weapons. Here's a link to the Combat Evolved Mk V armour:
It's difficult to say which way would be easier, it's all personal preference. Personally I prefer using foam (sometimes with 3D printed elements), plenty of people still use the Pepakura (AKA Paper craft) method and lots 3D print armour - though since you didn't mention a printer that might be off the table.

Working with foam requires cutting and gluing foam, usually some sanding too then sealing and painting. With the Pepakura method you cut out and glue the cardstock patterns, then typically coat it in resin, Bondo and sometimes fibreglass. Each way uses various tools and safety procedures (ie. ventillation and PPE) so it depends on what you and your son feel would be best for him to work with. Also, what time frame does he have to work in?

We've got some tutorials in the link below if you want a more in-depth look into these processes.

Oh, and I like the profile picture too ;)

Welcome to the 405th! We have the Armory section filled with Pepakura and foam templates, as well as 3D models of Halo armours and weapons. Here's a link to the Combat Evolved Mk V armour:
It's difficult to say which way would be easier, it's all personal preference. Personally I prefer using foam (sometimes with 3D printed elements), plenty of people still use the Pepakura (AKA Paper craft) method and lots 3D print armour - though since you didn't mention a printer that might be off the table.

Working with foam requires cutting and gluing foam, usually some sanding too then sealing and painting. With the Pepakura method you cut out and glue the cardstock patterns, then typically coat it in resin, Bondo and sometimes fibreglass. Each way uses various tools and safety procedures (ie. ventillation and PPE) so it depends on what you and your son feel would be best for him to work with. Also, what time frame does he have to work in?

We've got some tutorials in the link below if you want a more in-depth look into these processes.

Oh, and I like the profile picture too ;)
Thanks for all the info and the profile compliment. I really am a nightmare before coffee. We are looking at minimum completion date the end of October. I know, that’s pushing it, but he is homeschool this year. Max completion date is a year from now. We talked about everything that you said and I think we are going for a foam construct with the possibility of a friend 3D printing the helmet for us (3D printer is on my wish list!!!) I’ll keep updating as we go along too.

Thanks for all the info and the profile compliment. I really am a nightmare before coffee. We are looking at minimum completion date the end of October. I know, that’s pushing it, but he is homeschool this year. Max completion date is a year from now. We talked about everything that you said and I think we are going for a foam construct with the possibility of a friend 3D printing the helmet for us (3D printer is on my wish list!!!) I’ll keep updating as we go along too.
A Halloween deadline starting in the summer is very possible, just remember to work on it a little bit each day to avoid as much "convention-crunch" as possible as the deadline rapidly approaches. A costume like a Mk V SPARTAN suit can easily take 200+ hours so doing everything in manageable chunks is the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back