beginner's question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMan168

i want to make a suit of MJOLNIR mark 6 armor,but the problem is i dont know what to use,and ive never done this before. so whats a good material i can use that is both cheap and durable,and possibly lightweight?

well i dont like how the paper ones look i love how the clay ones do you what im ganna do is make the form in clay and make a mold of the clay so i can re-use the mold and then to pour plastic in the mold

Cardboard is a great way to build the frame of anyarmor. It's cheap if not free and mistakes can be repaired very easily. And then if your happy with what you've done, you just seal it up with Polyacrylic or if your brave and have time to kill, give a couple coats of resin. I know that several grocery stores will just give you their cardboard boxes for free if you just ask.

As for building the peice, just gather all the picture you can find on the subject your trying to make, print them out and then start drawing, cutting, and assembling piece by piece as you see it in the picture.

poosnicles said:
well i dont like how the paper ones look i love how the clay ones do you what im ganna do is make the form in clay and make a mold of the clay so i can re-use the mold and then to pour plastic in the mold
Thats not how you make it, if you try molding plastic into clay, it will come out bubly and melt the molds, you make the model from clay, then pour plaster to make a mold, then you vaseline the inside of the mold and pour more plaster to make a plaster model, then you vacume form plastic.

Paper is the best and cheapest way to go, if your gonna use vacume forming, you'll spend 600-1000 dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand why people insist on using cardboard and odd materials when you have pepakura models. I made a predator costume last year, completely from scratch. Had to cut the mask out of clay, silicone mold it, resin it, cut out a spandex bodysuit, paint it, craft weapons and everything - it was a pain in the ass - and it still looked like crap. Then I found pepakura on here, which any retarded ape could do - its an extremely valuable tool and makes a nearly flawless MC costume. Use it. But thats just my 2 cents.

Not to insult people who are making cardboard armor, but I think pep is the best also, you get max detail out of it, but then there are those like tastybread who made awsome armor with cardboard.

I'm not saying that you couldn't make a completely badass suit of armor out of cardboard, or out of anything for that matter. Im sure you COULD make a MC costume out of compacted garbage - but why waste the time and effort? Why risk getting discouraged? when pepakura is (almost) idiot proof. For the cost, pepakura is a steal of a deal. While it doesnt have the allure and professional look of a vaccuformed piece, its pretty damn close if you do it right.

dacacheman said:
I dont understand why people insist on using cardboard and odd materials when you have pepakura models. I made a predator costume last year, completely from scratch. Had to cut the mask out of clay, silicone mold it, resin it, cut out a spandex bodysuit, paint it, craft weapons and everything - it was a pain in the ass - and it still looked like crap. Then I found pepakura on here, which any retarded ape could do - its an extremely valuable tool and makes a nearly flawless MC costume. Use it. But thats just my 2 cents.

Its really preference i think. I'm pretty sure you could make armor out of ANYTHING, however sometimes its really fun to make stuff out of cardboard, not to mention its a really cheap and much safer alternative to pepakura. I personally am doing my armor out of pepakura cus I have the resources.

:)goodluck with your mold, and good luck with the cardboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back