Being impatient is tough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazen

I'm stuck in that moment of do i save my money for a few months while not making anything to get a 3d printer. or do i hit harbor freight for tools and foam and start making next week. Ive decided on my armor and props. and im just here like "I WANT TO BUIIIIIIILLLLLLLDDDDDDD" ...
what y'all think? foamsmith first then save... or save off the rip?

if you have a good hands on skill then i would say foam but if you are like me i can do foam to save my life. in the end its your call but we will always be hear for you in what ever way you go.

That's a personal decision you'll ultimately have to make for yourself as both have their pros and cons, but getting started with foam is significantly cheaper than 3D printing especially if you don't already have a printer. For little cost you could go to Harbor Freight and pick up some supplies and try it out. If you don't like it, you haven't spent a ton on supplies, and if you do like it all the better. Then if you want to add 3D printing to your toolkit down the road you can make the investment. There's plenty of people around here, myself included, who use both methods for various parts depending on the situation. Like any creative endeavor, just keep learning and adding new skills and tools to your arsenal.

3d printers are becoming cheaper and more available to everyone. I use a pair of Ender 5 Plus's, but I've gotta warn you. It's a constant struggle to keep the things working the way you want them to. Not steering you away of course! These things are freaking magical for making props and armor!

3d printers are becoming cheaper and more available to everyone. I use a pair of Ender 5 Plus's, but I've gotta warn you. It's a constant struggle to keep the things working the way you want them to. Not steering you away of course! These things are freaking magical for making props and armor!
Couldn't agree more with this! 3D Printers allow you to make literally anything you want with incredible detail, but they definitely can be difficult to get working sometimes.

I would say it's up to you on what to choose. As Fallen said, foam is significantly cheaper to get started with, though it can require a lot of trial and error to get the details you may want. WIth 3D printing you get the details down super well, but there is definitely a lot of work involved with getting all the print lines out of the pieces and getting them smooth. If you get a printer, get ready to do A LOT of sanding lol.

Couldn't agree more with this! 3D Printers allow you to make literally anything you want with incredible detail, but they definitely can be difficult to get working sometimes.

I would say it's up to you on what to choose. As Fallen said, foam is significantly cheaper to get started with, though it can require a lot of trial and error to get the details you may want. WIth 3D printing you get the details down super well, but there is definitely a lot of work involved with getting all the print lines out of the pieces and getting them smooth. If you get a printer, get ready to do A LOT of sanding lol.
I love my printers, but every once in a while I want to obliterate them lol. I would never go back to pepakura or foam now tho.

CasuallyFlacid any recomendations for stuff to do after leveling the bed before I try my first prints

update: got the second one for $60 and a roll of filament. need to come up with new location for the farm... what do you use for a base CasuallyFlacid ?
table, heavy duty shelves?

Last edited:
CasuallyFlacid any recomendations for stuff to do after leveling the bed before I try my first prints

update: got the second one for $60 and a roll of filament. need to come up with new location for the farm... what do you use for a base CasuallyFlacid ?
table, heavy duty shelves?
E-steps are the most important thing cuz it makes sure it's extruding the right amount of filament. PID tuning is also important cuz it makes sure your temperatures stay accurate. Also, that is an insanely good deal!

I use a whole ass table for mine, but that's cuz I have huge printers.
20221027_213647.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back