BiGHARYSCOTSMiN's 3D modeling quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the support guys, and although I'm sticking with Sketchup (since it's interface is a lot easier to use) I'll definitely plug models into Blender to take advantage of those tricks.

I just have to get used to powering up the tools quickly. Like I said, Blender interface leaves me scratching my head a lot...

You want to hear something funny, I tried sketch up and I could not get the hang of it. If it is easier or you are comfortable with sketch up stick with it. Including the times when you want to pull your hair out because of it. Just wait untill you model something, print it out, build it and just stand back and look at it with marvel.

To both of you: I should have a Blender walkthrough tutorial for you up within the next few days. That -should- get you started on what you'll need to do the basics.

In the meantime, if there are any questions, throw them at my face.

To both of you: I should have a Blender walkthrough tutorial for you up within the next few days. That -should- get you started on what you'll need to do the basics.
In the meantime, if there are any questions, throw them at my face.

Thanks buddy. I see your post up right now.

I don't have much to ask in terms of questions, since my main double faces question has been answered already.

I'll get questions as I use the program more so I'll get back later.

---

You want to hear something funny, I tried sketch up and I could not get the hang of it. If it is easier or you are comfortable with sketch up stick with it.

Yeah, I will stick with Sketchup for the most part, but Arcanine did bring up the double edge solution and I'm quickly discovering that Blender is much more powerful in terms of number of forks to use on the steak. I just want to learn those, I guess. For the most part, Sketchup and Blender are very compatibility friendly and importing/exporting between them are hassle free, so Blender isn't pointless to me nonetheless.

Much like the COD and Battlefield argument, it's all about preference when choosing between the two. I just so happened to learn Sketchup first and am comfortable with it which is why I think it's "better" for me.

@colbs 3DS and CAD are... really hard to learn :p I really enjoy the view snapping cube on that program though, I wish it was on Sketchup... but maybe there's a plug in for it...

Now that I realize it... none of these are even that much more "difficult" from the other, they all work in the same way. It's just about spending time getting used to the other...

Thanks buddy. I see your post up right now.

I don't have much to ask in terms of questions, since my main double faces question has been answered already.

I'll get questions as I use the program more so I'll get back later.

---

Yeah, I will stick with Sketchup for the most part, but Arcanine did bring up the double edge solution and I'm quickly discovering that Blender is much more powerful in terms of number of forks to use on the steak. I just want to learn those, I guess. For the most part, Sketchup and Blender are very compatibility friendly and importing/exporting between them are hassle free, so Blender isn't pointless to me nonetheless.

Much like the COD and Battlefield argument, it's all about preference when choosing between the two. I just so happened to learn Sketchup first and am comfortable with it which is why I think it's "better" for me.

@colbs 3DS and CAD are... really hard to learn :p I really enjoy the view snapping cube on that program though, I wish it was on Sketchup... but maybe there's a plug in for it...

Now that I realize it... none of these are even that much more "difficult" from the other, they all work in the same way. It's just about spending time getting used to the other...

I Know what you mean, I tried a bunch of free 3d modeling programs, before I found blender. Kingrahl helped me out a lot when I began and now Arcanine is helping out some more. I feel comfortable with blender, but I recently found a free edition of 3dsmax(student edition, which comes with stipulations to its free use). It is only free for 3years but that should enough time to learn it. I hope. I will continue with using blender for now until I feel that I have mastered it some more, I keep finding new techniques as I go along some I find some I figure out on my own. good luck and enjoy. I hope we haven't taken away to much from your thread.

Blender Tutorials go to Blendercookie or Blender Guru.
I myself love Blender, though I am more for the animating side of things, I either make my own models or use others (With permission) and just have fun. Plus I find it really easy to use.

Project Progress Posting!!!

This is Monkeyfuj's Recon Helmet MK2. I am chiseling the model a bit to get the dimensions, curves, and ridges as game accurate as possible. I almost got done with my older Recon helmet but sanding and adding filler for a month straight (by eye) isn't floating my boat.

I'll get to the Scattershot soon... Just gimme a minute to work on my suit :p

For myself: Priorities:

Recon MK3
Scattershot
XV-27 Shifting forearms

etc.

Untitled-1_zps74bd2d4c.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1_zps74bd2d4c.jpg
    Untitled-1_zps74bd2d4c.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 162
Alas... it has begin.

Untitled-1_zpsec7c4977.jpg

30 minutes later...

Untitled-2_zps6fa38118.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1_zpsec7c4977.jpg
    Untitled-1_zpsec7c4977.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Untitled-2_zps6fa38118.jpg
    Untitled-2_zps6fa38118.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 164
wow *˄* and you are actually using my reference picture *˄*

Give_that_man_a_cookie.jpg

Pat-

Attachments

• Give_that_man_a_cookie.jpg
    Give_that_man_a_cookie.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 164
You and i have one thing in common, that is we're skinny ppl XDD I'll be waiting patiently for your XG-89 files. Keep it up !

hey Bigharyscotsmin! i actually started making the tracker helmet from h4 in sketchup and would like to know if you'd wanna team up on it since you know sketchup better than i do!

I've been working on the Soldier chest. Added some dimples and updated the buckles.

I'm STILL suffering the open edge problems, and I've been here for an hour searching for blender tools now... with no luck.

I'll just throw out the .dae file, and ask for my lovely supporters to fix the open edges for me. I know, pretty weak thing for me to request, but I just can't figure out blender.

I also have somebody ready to unfold the file, credits will go out to anybody who contributes. Thanks!

click here for download link

I've been working on the Soldier chest. Added some dimples and updated the buckles.

I'm STILL suffering the open edge problems, and I've been here for an hour searching for blender tools now... with no luck.

I'll just throw out the .dae file, and ask for my lovely supporters to fix the open edges for me. I know, pretty weak thing for me to request, but I just can't figure out blender.

I also have somebody ready to unfold the file, credits will go out to anybody who contributes. Thanks!

click here for download link

I took a look at this just to see how much work it would take in blender. There's a lot of extra edges causing some of the open edge in Pepakura. all most ever vertex need to be joined to remove these open edges.

If you look at the Rocket launcher picture I posted in the H4 files thread you can see that there are no edges visible while it is not in edit mode.

test_zps43023fd3.png

Now see all the lines in the screenshot of your Great Work. The center area is what I had started. You cant see any lines which shows where each edges are. Joining the Vertex for all edges will remove the lines giving you this result. Or you could delete all the faces and start scratch from the wire frame.

Attachments

• test_zps43023fd3.png
    test_zps43023fd3.png
    14 KB · Views: 183
I'll have a pop at this for you, shouldn't take me more than half an hour. I'll post the file up when it's done.

EDIT: actually, a little longer than half an hour. I've started on the file and found that it's quite poorly mirrored, so I'll have to work out the symmetry issues as well - which pushes back the ETA somewhat. I'll have this hammered out for you by the end of the day though.

DOUBLE EDIT: Actually only took me two hours. I'll PM the file to BHS for review and unfolding/posting, but here's what I've gotten after the work I put in:

eaiYP0Z.jpg

Attachments

• eaiYP0Z.jpg
    eaiYP0Z.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 175
I'll have a pop at this for you, shouldn't take me more than half an hour. I'll post the file up when it's done.

EDIT: actually, a little longer than half an hour. I've started on the file and found that it's quite poorly mirrored, so I'll have to work out the symmetry issues as well - which pushes back the ETA somewhat. I'll have this hammered out for you by the end of the day though.

DOUBLE EDIT: Actually only took me two hours. I'll PM the file to BHS for review and unfolding/posting, but here's what I've gotten after the work I put in:

eaiYP0Z.jpg

wow!!! you guys really took off with the soldier file, it is looking great so far. cant wait to see this completed.

Attachments

• eaiYP0Z.jpg
    eaiYP0Z.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 230
So after looking at the pictures, what more is there to improve?

The lower back part of the piece is bare, but I wasn't up for adding details that I can barely see in the game.

Also I realized that the outer "pack" part of the back is separate from the "panels" that it's attached to, but didn't (again) get to it. would've taken a while to do. (probably confusing you right now)

Anyway if anybody has criticisms, please... speak. I want this to be the best it can be.

[Soldier Chest V2 updates]

-added buckles on sides
-dimple details
-modified geometry
-removed wrong/ inaccurate parts
-modified back part of neck area
-added lower back part (although plain)
-contoured to fit body a bit easier

+unfold incoming+

updates plus reply to pat!

ive finished up soldier chest v2 and its on the starter post. i replaced the link for the first version so dont go looking for a different link.

in reply to pat, i just finished up the chest that i mentioned earlier, so sorry i havent put much on the forearms. i started stitching up the two dimensional extrusions but thats about it. ill get to it when im not busy.

also, the scattershot is back on my priorities, but since pat seems like he needs the forearms, i want to focus on that first. neither or coming in soon so dont get too giddy.

i typed this from my xbox controller, please excuse my sloppyness

Sorry for bothering you BiGHARYSCOTSMiN but do you have any update on the XV-27 Shifting forearms ?

Pat-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back