Blood Raven Space Marine Armour Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tips guys, it sounds like a lot of effort for minimal benefit when I could just rescale the chest/helm to suit ;) I'll mess around and see what I come up with :)

I've got a load of cardstock in the post now (630 sheets!) so I have plenty to muck around with. ;)

I've uploaded some WIP shots of my backpack :) I apologise for the photo quality, long story short it's my camera phone.

More to come over the weekend.

Cheers,

Niall.

....FOR THE EMPEROR!

np,.. yeah its a real pain,.. thats why I hate to do it,.. I hate re-unfolding

and cant wait too see this new shots

Your armor is looking good! Keep up the good work! Thinking of making some space marine armor after I finish my Spartan armor.

Try trimming the ear pieces. Memnonic & I did that to fit inside the original ring.

helmetcuts.jpg
helmetprimed.jpg

Cheers pal,

I was thinking of doing something along those lines :) I'll remake the chest to better size the neck ring, get my chapter symbol built up then tackle the helm again ;) A lot of trial and error at this stage!

Hi folks,

It's been a few days since my last update and I'm pleased to say there's new photos on page 1 :)

Photos of WIP Beaky, complete backpack and remade torso. I also scaled down the shoulders to a few cms smaller, I think they're better, The beaky is a bit of a pain to make but I think it will look good :) Any comments on scale of chest/backpack appreciated!

Cheers

Niall.

Yeah. That helmet isn't going to be tall enough. What did you scale it to? Maybe I didn't put down the right number on the scaling sheet if that's what you used. The scale that I used for my helmet was 272mm. I'm 5'10" and it's a little big on me. Perhaps I should have mentioned this before, but the only thing I've actually made out of the set of files that I've made is the helmet so far. So, I haven't actually tested to see if the scaling that I did would fit normal human proportions. The scaling sheet that I made was based off of the modeled piece all put together to look to be the same proportions as the piece I was using as a basis and then scaling that model to the total height of a person. As a result, the helmet could be small at that proportion and the legs could be huge.

Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. It didn't cross my mind. Things are hectic over here.

No problem at all don't worry about it - I haven't used your scaling sheet in some time :)

What I did was I made Judge's chest piece then I measures the width of the neck ring and scaled the helm to fit inside that.

I think off the top of my head the inside of the raised neck ring was like 250mm or so, so I took about 1.5cm off that for movement and scaled the Beaky file to 235mm width. Sadly, changing width alters both depth and height as you know.

The helm is def giving me the most problems so far! This is the third helm build I've had. My next attempt I may do exactly as Judge posted above and just cut and rearrange the ear pieces to the other helm. Can't wait to getp ast the pep stages to be honest ;)

CelticSpartan said:
No problem at all don't worry about it - I haven't used your scaling sheet in some time :)

What I did was I made Judge's chest piece then I measures the width of the neck ring and scaled the helm to fit inside that.

I think off the top of my head the inside of the raised neck ring was like 250mm or so, so I took about 1.5cm off that for movement and scaled the Beaky file to 235mm width. Sadly, changing width alters both depth and height as you know.

The helm is def giving me the most problems so far! This is the third helm build I've had. My next attempt I may do exactly as Judge posted above and just cut and rearrange the ear pieces to the other helm. Can't wait to getp ast the pep stages to be honest ;)

If you want, I can modify the helmet model to make the helmet skinnier and keep the depth and height. You'd have to do the unfold yourself though. Also, you may be able to scale the helmet slightly larger than the collar since the ears jut out higher than the collar.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's OK mate - thanks for the offer but everyone else has managed it without too much hassle so I must be missing out some elementary step ;)

I'll crack it don't you worry hehe.

god, ur work so far is amazing. love the backpack

how did you mount it onto the chest piece ?

i see ur having slot of problems with the helm too

im plannin on keeping the helm for last

my failed helm was 280mm and im 5'8"

too hyoooge

good luck n have fun

The backpack mounts quite easily onto the back of the chest piece using the small rectangular 'shelf' on the rear. Judge advised me to use the same scale on the backpack model as the chest piece then add 5-10mm to the depth to ensure it fitted. No problem :)

Once it's all resined, filled and painted I'll probably permanently attach backpack to chest with fixing bolts of some description and make it one piece.

As for the helm I think I'll leave it till last too and start on arms/thighs/shins this weekend.

Thanks,

Hey folks,

I've just uploaded a load of new pics onto page one. Pics of my right shin (both made but only photos of one atm) and more Assembly pics showing chest, shoulders and backpack. Let me know if you think anything needs changed!

I think I may scratch build a helm at some point or a mask of some description as per the SM Sergeant models.

Cheers,

Looks great; the only observation I'd point out is that the backpack seems a little small, to be honest It's barely noticeable and I'm very picky, so just disregard this post.

Keep going!

I scaled the pack as per Judge's instructions and since it was such a pain to put together I refuse to do it again haha :D May resize the shoulders a tad smaller to bring it into scale :)

Good morning everyone :),

There's a selection of new photos on page one again. This time focussing on the lower half, legs, belt etc. I completed one of the thigh plates last night and have the other one half pepped so there will be more photos tonight. I had to trim the top of the thigh to make it fit over my leg though! The good news is that with the belt, thigh and shin on everything looks pretty dandy and mobility is, surprisingly, pretty good. The shins move around a good bit at the moment but after some foam padding and strapping it should stay in position well.

I think it will be easier to move once everything is resined and hardened etc, I'll be less nervous about splitting the cardstock! (Incidentally, can anyone comment on the strength of hardened pieces once complete and painted up etc?)

The shins look a bit small in the pictures but I believe once I've got a few layers of resin and filler on them they'll bulk up nicely.

I'll post a full lower body section photo tonight (minus boots).

Only thing to do after this is potentially shrink the shoulders a bit (may not bother), make the arms to suit and the boots. I'm going to focus on getting the main costume sorted, helm will be the last thing.

Hopefully I'll start the resin process in the next couple of weeks (offshore with work for next wee while sadly!)

I have a LOT of insulation foam (various thickness) sitting around gathering dust at home so I'll probably be using that for a lot of the inside of the model (after fibregalss matting of course).

By the way - any SM Builds out there with some good ideas for the 'belly' section? I'm planning on wearing some jet black clothes/body armour underneath the hardened pieces once complete but I still think I need something across the stomach area. The DoW Marines don't seem to have anything specific there other than the 'pipes' connecting belt to chest.

/salute

CS.

Pics in the assembly section of lower half and full costume so far, minus boots and arms!

The legs look a bit small/under scaled but as I said I think it's just cus they're not strapped into position yet, they don't look too bad in real life! Although it's getting to the stage where bits rip every time I put things on - time for some resin I think!

CS.

Things are looking good! I think your belt and lower legs are too small. The shoulders will look good when you pad them and lift them higher with some strapping.

I've never been a fan of that version of the Helm file. it's too wide and it has no neck detail. It looks too flat. I absolutely love Samuray's Beakie. I printed two more cause it was really fun putting together teh first two times!

The problem with Marines is the models are not proportional. There is a whole group of people who are making scale 40K Minis. The legs and arms are completely out of wack so if we build models based on the actual minis this will be all wrong when you scale them to a real person. So Tradional Scaling methods don't work.

The Grey Knight files I uploaded are all scaled to a standard human they may not look exactly like a Mini but they will fit and you will be able to move pretty freely... I suspect. (I haven't built any of it but the idea is sound)

Keep up the great work, now is a race between you and Judge. Who will be first? :p

I suspect Judge will be first or one of the other lads!

Having never done any resin/fibreglassing before I suspect the progress to be slow until I get used to it ;)

Does your 'beakie' helm fit inside the neck ring of your chest file? My problem is that the standard marine helmet won't fit due to scaling issues and the beakie isn't much better. If I make the chest any bigger I won't be able to move arms at all haha.

I may give it one more go to see (the beakie I mean).

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back