Bondo+Heat Gun=Dry Faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirrou

I am doing quite a bit of Bondo work for my ODST build and its dries fairly quickly during the day in the sun but at night it takes forever. I don't have any laps to put on it but I do have a Heat Gun.

So here is the question: Would a heat gun help speed up drying times any or would I damage anything or ruin anything by trying?

I would recommend a blow dryer over a heat gun. The heat gun can get too hot and overbake the bondo. Also if is cures too fast it can cause shrinkage and the bondo will peel back/off of the part you are covering. I did it a few years ago, and it pulled up like 5 layers of bondo, ruining who know how many hours of work just because I was impatient. If you want it to set faster you can also use a little more hardener. You will still need the heat so it will kick, but once it kicks, you will get a faster cure.

Also, bondo works with an hardener part. It's not air drying.

And as far as I know, 15 minutes is not that long. Use more hardener for quicker curing times.

LastSpartan said:
Also, bondo works with an hardener part. It's not air drying.

And as far as I know, 15 minutes is not that long. Use more hardener for quicker curing times.

Bondo is thermoset. All that the hardener does is generate heat, so it's not really "hardener drying" just like it's not "air drying". You can put Bondo in the oven to harden it, for example. So anything that makes it hotter, such as hair dryers, sunshine or heat guns, will speed it up. Conversely, it will slow down if it's cold out, windy, or anything that cools the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
it will, but wiil it stay in the right place

Maybe you could try something lighter, like a blow dryer

BobvDijk said:
it will, but wiil it stay in the right place

Maybe you could try something lighter, like a blow dryer

It's not like it's going to melt or something, unless you foolishly turn the box into 400 degree oven. The problem with blow dryers is that they aren't typically designed to run for more than the short time it takes to dry hair. They overheat and burn out quickly if used for long periods. The small heater is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back