Boot Strapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

volkov

Had to put this in the newb area because I feel it's a dumb question, but after searching I couldn't find much on the boots specifically, which is where I have my problem.. I've done a few different things of my own design but none have worked. As of right now my armor is very comfortable and easy to move around in, until I put the boots on and then I fail.. miserably, can't move very well at all.. So I was just wondering if someone could point me to something I've missed or share their own ideas and what not- thanks in advance, and sorry for the dumb question, I've managed to use ideas here to get everything else (even the pesky shoulders) so close to perfection.. but this last step elludes me.

I'm not exactly sure how the boots can be restricting your movement or comfort very much. What kind of boots are you using with them?

volkov said:
Had to put this in the newb area because I feel it's a dumb question, but after searching I couldn't find much on the boots specifically, which is where I have my problem.. I've done a few different things of my own design but none have worked. As of right now my armor is very comfortable and easy to move around in, until I put the boots on and then I fail.. miserably, can't move very well at all.. So I was just wondering if someone could point me to something I've missed or share their own ideas and what not- thanks in advance, and sorry for the dumb question, I've managed to use ideas here to get everything else (even the pesky shoulders) so close to perfection.. but this last step elludes me.

Scale 'em a bit bigger or do some trimming. The straight across part of the top front does not do a very good job of allowing movement. Also, it's better to use the 3 part boot file and then use buckles & Chicago screws to secure the webbing to the insides of the boots, doing this will make the tension of the top section adjustable and it will also make the boots easier to get on and off.

One thing that I did that made the boots fit like a second skin was to wrap the shoes I was using in a trash bag. Then I put the boot parts around them and filled the gaps around the shoes with Great Stuff (expanding foam). Fit perfectly and I cut vinyl-rubber automotive floor mats into strips, super glued them together (cyanoacrylate welds rubber extremely well). and fit them in while the foam was expanding. Worked perfectly. The only problem I had with them was driving whilst wearing them as they were wide enough to push the gas and brake at the same time, had to hold my foot at an angle to work the gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
BFDesigns said:
Scale 'em a bit bigger or do some trimming. The straight across part of the top front does not do a very good job of allowing movement. Also, it's better to use the 3 part boot file and then use buckles & Chicago screws to secure the webbing to the insides of the boots, doing this will make the tension of the top section adjustable and it will also make the boots easier to get on and off.

One thing that I did that made the boots fit like a second skin was to wrap the shoes I was using in a trash bag. Then I put the boot parts around them and filled the gaps around the shoes with Great Stuff (expanding foam). Fit perfectly and I cut vinyl-rubber automotive floor mats into strips, super glued them together (cyanoacrylate welds rubber extremely well). and fit them in while the foam was expanding. Worked perfectly. The only problem I had with them was driving whilst wearing them as they were wide enough to push the gas and brake at the same time, had to hold my foot at an angle to work the gas.

Interesting, I tried that method, but it was more of a patch job on another completly destroyed method.. so the boots were practically unusable to begin with.. Think I'll try this again from scratch if it worked for you.. Spent the last few days removing the old boots and cleaning the mess from the armor pieces.. took a while.. bandaided bad ideas too many times.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out

Last edited by a moderator:
That's essentially what I did...

Boot Pics

The foam is essentially form-fitting and while I wouldn't try driving in them, they do hold up really well to walking/running around...

Good Luck!

I wear shoes inside of the boots. The weight of the boot cover should hold them down. Add a little foam to the top as needed so they don't drag on the floor, and to the sides to make them have a snug fit.

I'm guessing you DID remove the large flat piece of card stock from the bottom of the boots? its just reinforcement until you apply resin.

Some people come up with some sort of ankle cover to attach the boots to the calf armor... and depending on how that is done, that could very easily restrict movement.

I went a different route with mine but the materials would be hard to come by for most people.

Ridged pvc sole plates with 1/4" industrial rubber treads and insoles then I screwed the boots in through the sole with wood screws and left the rest hollow to allow my foot to breathe.

P1170162.jpg

some very impressive stuff there guys.. I guess I'll give you the a basic idea of how badly I messed up my boots.. I had some work boots, about the right size, armor was a bit too big for them, so I actualy used clumps of bondo to make them fit better (now removed, worst idea ever). I used car floor mats for the bottom and to connect the ankle to the toe on the top, essentially I wound up making a pretty decent looking boot set, that wieghed a fricken ton and was extremely uncomfortable to wear, the added weight also made it rub a lot worse.. it's been gutted now, and cleaned to the armor shell, just need to get some new non destroyed boots and get to work, thanks for all the helpful ideas, and that PVC looks badass btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back