Borderlands 2 - Zer0, also Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

urban0ninja

Hey everyone, I stumbled on this website while looking for methods of helmet construction, and felt that the methods used here are probably the best for a cheap guy like me, as opposed to the alternative I was looking at like the guy at Volpin Props.

For my first build, which i've already done extensive research, gaming, and have begun modeling in 3Ds max is Zer0, the assassin from Borderlands 2.

The biggest issue I see trying to tackle is the visor...I have no idea what to do. I've searched these forums, you tube, even contacted the guy at Volpin props (no response...sigh), but I just have no idea how to make it a 2 way mirror.

I've accidentally discovered how much I would enjoy doing this sort of crafting when I thought I could take the time and money to do some aluminum casting, but decided pursuing it would be too dangerous, especially without any casting knowledge. So here I am looking to satisfy my creative desire!

This looks like a fantastic forum and I hope to be an active member, learn some things, and maybe pass on any knowledge I gain.

First off, Welcome to the 405th!
I personally don't have a whole lot of armor building experience myself, I'm just now starting my first halo build. But in the next year or so, I'm hoping to put together a Zer0 build for my boyfriend (I myself am doing Maya), and I'll probably be lurking around to see how you do the helmet, that's what I'm thinking was going to give me trouble. I know this didn't help much, but Good Luck!

Welcome to the 405th! There are not to many borderlands peps, so I cant wait to see how it comes out.
As for your visor question, this vid may help give you ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the video. I had planned on Vacuforming the visor if I can figure out this PEP thing. I like the stuff he used but I don't know where i'd find it around here. I had planned on trying privacy film, but I don't know how that would work on a curved surface. I have a complete 3D model, now I just have to PEP it, or hope someone else will XD

Thank you for the video. I had planned on Vacuforming the visor if I can figure out this PEP thing. I like the stuff he used but I don't know where i'd find it around here. I had planned on trying privacy film, but I don't know how that would work on a curved surface. I have a complete 3D model, now I just have to PEP it, or hope someone else will XD

Np! and good luck with finding a solution!

Would you mind sharing that file? If not I completely understand.

I wouldn't mind at all actually, but i have to charge you...info ; )
Pepa says it opens 3Ds files, but when I save files in 3DS, it saves as a max, do I have to change the file type, or do I have to export it?
And do I have to BUY pepa to load, and unwrap the models?
I'll send you the file when I get to school (I attend college still) tomorrow, as I haven't installed 3Ds on my PC yet, and the files are all on my schools network drive. Do you want me to e-mail it to you or dropbox it?

I should also note, just in case there's any miscommunication, that the file is ONLY the helmet.

Incidentally I've been in class too (in class now actually). Mine has opened 3DS files just fine... I do know I have to open everything through File>Open in the program. I can't just click on the file. I would try exporting it if you're having problems getting it saved in the right file type. I'm probably not the best person to ask. >< I'm not very computer savvy. And no worries about miscommunication, all I need is the helmet. And you can just email it to me, Kechara09@yahoo.com

ALright ladies and gents here's the progress. After two ish weeks and 2 failed PEPs (both because of scaling issues and overly complex model and PEP....) I have NEARLY completed the first portion of the construction! Here is what I have before the visor gets hot glued, and attached to the helmet!

Whatcha think?

helmet1.jpg

helmet_2.jpg

helmet_3.jpg

helmet_4.jpg

To any music fans, yes that's a bass behind the helmet in one of the pictures...

to any hockey fans I have a Redwings t-shirt to the left of it signed by the 2011 team ; )...totally unrelated...but awesome.

What kinda bass is it?
I play too.
I've got a Vantage Avenger.
And would you be willing to share your pep file for Zero's helmet?
I'm actually playing Borderlands as him right now :p

Anything for a fellow Zer0 fan! Would you like the PEP and 3DS file or just the PEP? PM me you're e-mail and i'll send it on your way...I warn you, she's a tad confusing, and possibly a bit large >.> this is my first attempt at this PEP stuff after all

Also it's an Ibanez GSR I believe. It's about as close as I can get to a Wal sound that I love so much from Justin Chancellor or Tool : P

Well, the visor is attached, and it turns out it's a lot taller than I think I meant for it to be... Opinions? I want to know if I should cut it up a bit, and bring the chin level up, or leave it as is...it feels too big : (

helmet5.jpg

helmet6.jpg

helmet7.jpg

No my head isn't that tall by the way, there's a shirt folded up on top of my head to simulate padding.

Cut the mask down a bit and reglued it, and was much happier with how it looks, and fit. Now the resin is applied to the outside
resin1.jpg
resin2.jpg

I hate fiberglass...omg this portion made me want to die! I at one point had fibers all around my fingers and couldn't open my hand all the way.
But i got it all done, and hope I didn't miss too much, there's a decent amount of overlap for some slips of cloth, but i couldn't see where the cloth ended after a while so I may have a gap or two...aaaand of course I didn't REALLY get the hang of it and find the best way to manipulate the brush, resin, and cloth until about the 4th to last strip...XD
fiber1.jpg
fiber2.jpg
fiber3.jpg

And for anyone curious, the holes in the "ear" portions are there because I will be putting cloth there so I can hear.

Sorry it's been a day or two, hockey, work and college life gets in the way sadly ''/
Anyway the fiberglass had plenty of time to cure (2 days...lol), which is good since it's nearing 35 degrees here. I got the ended sanded down, and what not, tomorrow I may coat some problem areas one last bit of resin, then to the bondo-rama!

sanded_fiberglass_3.jpg
sanded_fiberglass.jpg
saneed_fiberglass_2.jpg

Brilliant good work

I've gotta say this makes me want to do this for the next project, but maybe one of his other helmets though

I'll keep an eye on this tread for sure

Hey, great idea on the Zero character build, I will be watching. And I think I might have some info. for you instead of the whole vacuforming which sounds like a pain. This year, I found at a halloween costume place a "no face" mask which might save you some time and effort, possibly. Check this link out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA19V0DV5721

The only problem I might forsee, is that it's chrome covered vice black, but I tested it out, it is see through! It's only $5 on Newegg.

That thing has Cobra Commander written all over it!!!

Nice job with the clean up of the fiberglass, those images with the cloth everywhere had me worried, but you cleaned it up well.

. Check this link out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA19V0DV5721

The only problem I might forsee, is that it's chrome covered vice black, but I tested it out, it is see through! It's only $5 on Newegg.

That's fantastic! I might actually use that! What I might do is leave the visor as a solid piece and leave a cut out to fit this visor into it, kind of like what this guy did (scroll 3/4 of the way down)
http://barnyardfx.blogspot.com/
I want to make a clay positive to make a cast from like this guy sometime, but i'm garbage with sculpting...I think

I like the zero character also. Good work so far I'll be lurking around.

Thanks!

That thing has Cobra Commander written all over it!!!

Nice job with the clean up of the fiberglass, those images with the cloth everywhere had me worried, but you cleaned it up well.

Yeah I had a plan with the fiberglass...but it didn't work out as well as I wanted it to, and next time I do anything like this I'm using Rondo instead, fiberglass is too tricky to work with in an enclosed space like a helmet (live and learn!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back