Boron Steel Armor

Should I attempt to create entirely steel armor?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good God no, you are insane

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread floating around here in which one of the members cast aluminum into wet sand molds from pepakura pieces. While he only made the handplates, the results were pretty phenomenal considering what he was actually doing. If you want to make metal armor and don't want to go broke in the process, THAT is the way to go. Actually achieving what you've proposed, realistically, stretches the imagination. It's certainly ambitious, and I'll give the idea all kinds of credit. But consider what this is - it won't be any more useful than cast aluminum yet will cost you an outrageous sum of money for what you're doing. I think that if you actually attempt this, you'll burn yourself out, and the results won't be worth what you put into it.

I think this all depends on what your planning. If you are going for what some have done and use sheet metal and weld the seams, this is impressive but theres no reason to use that high quality, expensive steel to make something that doesnt come out that details. On the other hand, if your going the much more difficult route of casting it in this, your not only looking at the cost of the metal, youd be looking at molding and casting supplies, you may already know this, so it all depends on your level of experience. By all means go ahead if you know you can, but if you have any doubts, try at something a bit smaller first.

OK people do some research in the way of IS THIS TOXIC ? YES BORON IS A CARCINOGENIC SUBSTANCE so DONT MAKE A SUIT OUT OF It. also as stated it will cost a rhidonkalus amount of money so just buy a nice molded suit or have one made from aluminum.

Mild steel is all you need for metal costume armor. No need to go into exotic or expensive alloys. My SCA combat helm is mild steel, and I trust it to keep a 350lb man swinging a 6-foot great sword from cracking my skull open. You really won't be expecting this to need to be that robust, right?

Dusty said:
OK people do some research in the way of IS THIS TOXIC ? YES BORON IS A CARCINOGENIC SUBSTANCE so DONT MAKE A SUIT OUT OF It. also as stated it will cost a rhidonkalus amount of money so just buy a nice molded suit or have one made from aluminum.

Boron is indeed toxic. However, the OP is referring to Boron Steel, which is a steel alloy that contains trace amounts of boron (usually less than 15 parts per million). The boron increases the ability of the steel to be hardened. In this case the boron is alloyed with iron and presents no environmental or health issues. Boron steel is seeing increased usage in cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same thing seems to be repeated throughout this thread. Bottom line is that if you have the money, skill required, and the ability to stick to this project, then you could do it & should do it. However if you dont have the money, or even if you do, and you arent willing to see this project through to the other side, well then its a no go or else its a waste of money and time. This may sound hypocritical too since the amounts of resin, paper, glue, bondo, smooth cast 300, and silicone for molds needed to create a full Master Chief suit is quite a bit, which is very expensive too. But in the end it is about the money in your pocket, and what you yourself can do.

Good luck with your decision,

Super-Ang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back