Status
Not open for further replies.

HachiMichi42

Hello World!
I currently am building an infinite Chief Suit. However, I am running into three major issues:
  1. I do not have any tools of my own other than the school makerspace they do not seem to have a shortage of tools but also this means I have no dedicated workspace.
  2. Although 3D printing at my school may be free there is some limited time to print things, most of the time it lasts around 4 hours (and from 4pm-8am) thus parts either need to be smaller or need to have less innards to make.
  3. I am running on a very limited budget, I don't have a job and am currently hunting for one.
I already bought the Galactic Armory's Chief model but I am having issues with learning how to print the parts in segments.
I am currently contacting the person in charge of all of the printers in my school's engineering building to see if I could be allowed to have the extra time I need on the printers.
Also the Filament I am working with is PLA since it is provided by the school. And the 3d printers is the Lulzbot TAZ Workhorse which has these dimensions to print with: 280 mm x 280 mm x 285 mm.
Thanks for hearing me out!

You might be able to split pieces into small segments using 3D Builder or Meshmixer but I'd expect a full suit to be in the range of 150-200 segments if you're limited to a few hours per print. Cleanup and strengthening the assembled pieces so you're probably going to be spending a considerable amount more on sanding equipment, adhesives and epoxies as well as time.

With how your schedule seems to be, 3D printing big parts may not be possible. Have you done anything with foam before?
I have worked with foam, I found out what I did wrong with my first chestpiece as the foam I got was incredibly thick and had texture on one end that is probably rubber as I wasnt aware of it having rubber on it when I bought it from the store. Currently I am about to buy some floormats to use for this project I have access to really good adhesive, and I also have a heat gun to form the foam.

You might be able to split pieces into small segments using 3D Builder or Meshmixer but I'd expect a full suit to be in the range of 150-200 segments if you're limited to a few hours per print. Cleanup and strengthening the assembled pieces so you're probably going to be spending a considerable amount more on sanding equipment, adhesives and epoxies as well as time.
So, from a cost perspective, foam is probably the way to go?

If you are on a budget and only have limited access to the 3D printer, I think foam might be the way to go.

So, from a cost perspective, foam is probably the way to go?
From a cost of time, most certainly.
If you can only print one part a day then doing a full suit would be several months. Foam construction depending on your speed and quality that you're going for can be done in a fraction of that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back