Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

It’s coming together so freakin awesome!!! I’m really looking forward to when you get to paint and decals, that’ll be really really cool.

They may be way way WAAAAYYY smaller but look sempai I built a Viper too! :D

69033498-E559-478B-BCB7-6C3BC605A84F.jpeg

WHAT? You don't have a tool that mechanically chisels out what you need removed? Like a router or something that could zip through cleanly? Or do you prefer holding the chisel while you take a pic of your arm?

WHAT? You don't have a tool that mechanically chisels out what you need removed? Like a router or something that could zip through cleanly? Or do you prefer holding the chisel while you take a pic of your arm?

I borrowed a router, but with the surfaces being curved and either a drop at one end, or a step preventing travel, the router is more trouble than it's worth.

I've had a few wonderful days home alone to work on the Viper. It's strange, I haven't uttered a word. I could get used to this.

Anyways, I went out to my work and spent a night on the bandsaw to cut all the turkey feathers for the other two engines. Much quicker and neater than my jigsaw, plus the belt grinders there have an extraction fan right next to them, so I sanded and shaped them all too. I can do this at home, but with no extraction, the dust is pretty unbearable.

izwlJ6h.jpg

Back at home, I've had a mad glue-up for nearly 24 hours. I had to keep going back to Bunnings for more glue, having underestimated how much I needed to do to finalise all the foam. That's all done now, so I started sanding the whole ship and engines with the orbital sander. Not comfortable under the tarp in temperatures in the high thirties, but I really want to take advantage of the time I have.

CzAlCJU.jpg

siepigF.jpg

Yi8zRMD.jpg

6mdIrBY.jpg

jAQ0m6o.jpg

GiqOvrc.jpg

2cXZBSH.jpg

i77RtAW.jpg

CAvXgAN.jpg

I borrowed a router, but with the surfaces being curved and either a drop at one end, or a step preventing travel, the router is more trouble than it's worth.

Very disappointed.......I would have thought if any one could, you would create a jig to allow a router to run over a curved surface. ;)....I was thinking to myself...."How is he going to get this on a flatbed to bring to a con?" .....(which is a strange thing to be thinking to myself).....I know you will, but at this point it's a massive piece. I don't think you made a focal point to lift this w/ a crane. Or did you?

Very disappointed.......I would have thought if any one could, you would create a jig to allow a router to run over a curved surface. ;)....I was thinking to myself...."How is he going to get this on a flatbed to bring to a con?" .....(which is a strange thing to be thinking to myself).....I know you will, but at this point it's a massive piece. I don't think you made a focal point to lift this w/ a crane. Or did you?

Have you read any of the thread? I've mentioned several times that the ship is built in modular sections, for ease of transport and storage. Come on over to Facebook and join the build group there, I have a big list of FAQs there. Baz Arm

I thought about making a box-jig for the router, but it's more work than actually just carving with a chisel. Why are you very disappointed?

Baz.

Sorry......I knew you were building it in modular sections......didn't recall that it could be broken down for transport and storage.....:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:..

Over the last couple of days I've managed to steal a little time here and there.

A little chisel and paint work done on the guns. Looking badass.

NKIjqL2.jpg

fVbEdrp.jpg

Starting to detail the engines now. I found out that the prop in the side is the air regulator/water trap off a compressor. Now I just have to find a couple of non-functioning units to install to look the part. I couldn't believe Bunnings didn't sell the coils of small diameter copper pipe for plumbing. The smallest they have is 1/2 inch.

1ry2dLI.jpg

Ak7kWCw.jpg

7jjMWyT.jpg

po7DR9y.jpg

Managed to pre-fit the second engine exhaust module, but now I'm running out of room behind the ship, so demolitions today, once again.

RNekB0C.jpg

ZwGuVYE.jpg

5cGtSLZ.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back