CADET115 (First time) Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADET115

Managed to find my way back to this amazing community and can not wait to get back into getting some form of Halo costume put together. Switching gears from the ODST and going to attempt a basic Marine as a building block towards the ODST armor that I want to eventually build. This way I have multiple costumes made for cons versus trying to make one that might not be the best. Overall excited to be back and working toward this goal since this year wasn't as busy compared to last year.

Good plan. Marines are relatively quick builds, so it'll be a good one to have for taking multiple costumes. Plus they have more natural movement than many other builds without a ton of extra planning.

So once I'm finished with my semester of schooling next week. I'm going to start on just trying to make some attempts at a DFT marine, but one thing I'm curious about besides the armor itself is how the armor is actually worn or attached to ones person. I'll have to do some digging to see what methods others have done but another question I do have is what camo patterns are acceptable to be used for the marines. I've seen a variety of them some just solid colors while others use modern camo patterns. The one benefit of doing the DFT armor is once I learn how to do it. I can probably make a variety of marines with different camo and armor colors.

So once I'm finished with my semester of schooling next week. I'm going to start on just trying to make some attempts at a DFT marine, but one thing I'm curious about besides the armor itself is how the armor is actually worn or attached to ones person. I'll have to do some digging to see what methods others have done but another question I do have is what camo patterns are acceptable to be used for the marines. I've seen a variety of them some just solid colors while others use modern camo patterns. The one benefit of doing the DFT armor is once I learn how to do it. I can probably make a variety of marines with different camo and armor colors.
For a lot of things on the DFT suit it's either some sort of velcro attachment or nylon webbing and parachute clips outside of the chest section that just gets put on like a shirt. A good source of inspiration would be the mid layer that Spidermonkey60 used for his shoulder attachment.

Alright one week left to go with schooling and then I should be free for the summer to work on this armor. :)
Going to be working on getting a wearable and decent looking marine armor made by the end of August. This is when the next local convention for my state will be and I'm going to try and attend. After that I will try and use that experience to work on improvements or make another armor set for a November convention that also will be local but is a much bigger con compared to the other one. Excited to get this strolling next week but to start I've decided that my base uniform is going to be M81 woodland just because it's the most abundant uniform around my house besides ACU digital pattern. My confidence in this endeavor is much greater compared to my previous attempts at the DFT ODST 2 years ago. The support from everyone makes projects like this much more enjoyable and not so sluggish when trying to complete certain things. Once again excited to get this done and hopefully I can attend C2E2 next year if my schedule permits or another con with a large 405th presence so I can meet you amazing people.

Not much progress was made this past 2022 besides life getting interesting but I've now made it a goal to make any sort of wearable Halo costume by the end of 2023. Gonna try setting some realistic goals to achieve small but meaningful progress that way if life does get messy as it always does. This will allow for better progression even if not in the mood for costuming. Really want to try and get more involved in the community as I feel I've been lacking as of late. Hopefully even make it to a C2E2 some day.

First progress of 2023, after an eventful day of dealing with a snowstorm and traveling I returned to rediscovered my much needed tools for foamsmithing. Manage to secure my cutting tools and the basic method of joining parts together with hot glue. Only thing left is going to be finding the dang heat gun it has seemed to run off from me. Other than that I managed to figure out the printer after a decent struggle and get that first template printed out for the armor. Being that their is 10 videos to make the armor and I'm a more visually learning individual I'm gonna be following Andrew DFTs Halo 3 Marine tutorial just to get some basics down as I know I'm still learning how work with foam. Overall excited to started.

First progress of 2023, after an eventful day of dealing with a snowstorm and traveling I returned to rediscovered my much needed tools for foamsmithing. Manage to secure my cutting tools and the basic method of joining parts together with hot glue. Only thing left is going to be finding the dang heat gun it has seemed to run off from me. Other than that I managed to figure out the printer after a decent struggle and get that first template printed out for the armor. Being that their is 10 videos to make the armor and I'm a more visually learning individual I'm gonna be following Andrew DFTs Halo 3 Marine tutorial just to get some basics down as I know I'm still learning how work with foam. Overall excited to started.
I can't wait to see your progress. I think a large portion of the community started from AndrewDFT's tutorials, it seems like something that brings a lot of us together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back