Calgary Expo 2023 Booth Planning

I just need to order a couple more colours of ink and a roll of paper so I can do a full print test to ensure it's working and that there no issues with the nozzle but this is the big Epson monstrosity lol.

It has a 41"(I think. Somewhere around there) printing width so banners and posters shouldn't be an issue (it can print normal sizes too far as I'm aware)
View attachment 327229
Once we have a handle on the size of the booth I may talk with you about some flags or a banner once the beast runs. what kind of materials can it print on?

I know it can handle pretty much any type of paper cause it's built for printing high end photography prints, but I've been told it can print banners which should hopefully mean either vinyl or canvas. The specs say it can handle media up to 1.5 mm thick which should allow for it, I hope.

I'm ordering the couple ink colours I'm missing tonight so should know in a couple weeks once I can fully test it what it'll print on.

Hey all.....I heard from Fan Expo yesterday and they are excited to have us. They are knee deep in planning for Vancouver so it will be a little bit before they can turn their minds to Calgary to get us specifics. This is par for the course so nothing to worry about at all.

Viper 466 - I have the 405th banner at my house plus a pop up banner with 405th info that you and have used in previous booths that I can of course bring along.

hey FANGS do you have a list of requirements from the expo for us to reference while we build stuff? specifically im wondering about making things fireproof. like how fireproof? when will the FD be checking our stuff? or is there a contact from expo we can ask?

When we built the initial big set for the 501st booth we used a fireproofing spray from a production company that was available through someone we know. That route is no longer available but I was told by this person that the fire proofing spray on Amazon is almost as good. This is also what I used on the wooden crates for Fangs and my booth. It smells and is stick so we sprayed it on the non painted side. We had cut peices that had been treated so the fire Marshall could test it without burning the set. They were very happy with that.

Attachments

• 16758069272521261116065516873961.jpg
    16758069272521261116065516873961.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 97
Here is Calgary FD's Expo information. Keep in mind that a lot of this applies to the Expo itself and it is somewhat generic but does talk about the need for materials to be fire retardant and that testing will be done. I've also included the link for the OHS compliance information which speaks to it being deemed a construction site etc.

Progress report on the walls. I’ve been gathering items while Russett and I haven’t been able to link up. Will continue to attain materials for construction such as liquid nails, and supplies such as pva for sealing so we can thin coat the rocks and concrete to allow for easier painting.

I’d like all other builders to provide updates on their build progress and planning by the end of the day.

.95CDD0BC-8423-4ABA-A0CF-9BB59BDEC9B6.jpeg
B36FC521-D7B8-417F-8BB5-56CC66EDAA5C.jpeg
80AEDAF9-E210-42F4-8BAA-929CFCE423D4.jpeg
466FF1EA-36FC-4368-BF5F-940B23437BF2.jpeg

Need updates from James and iac300 . Please post your plan of attack/any materials you have thus far and any build progress you've made on your portions of the booth.

I acquired a bunch of 1/2" plywood for materials and have measurements for the HOD weapon rack, construction won't take long. hit a snag with my printer not wanting to print anything. Once I have the templates printed I'm estimating that construction can be completed in a day, and be ready for painting.

Need updates from James and iac300 . Please post your plan of attack/any materials you have thus far and any build progress you've made on your portions of the booth.
No updates so far. Mine will be made closer to April because of my film schedule conflicting with my roommates tour schedule.
Sorry I thought I mentioned that in our last meeting. I'll post what I've got when I've got it.

Wall progress. Lift off hinges installed and bolts tested/secured. Frames seem good. Facade is underway. Russett has the grenade mold and can cast 10 toppers for stanchions for Mommabear .

I’m going to be picking up supplies for styrofoam and some paper mache stuff. Most likely pva/wood glue (one or the other) to seal all the foam elements and build up the rock texture. We also need some break apart hinges fr the legs as well as sandbags.

I’m also working with the regiment graphic team to get a big ass banner made. Either 8 feet tall by 10 feet wide or 8x8. Have to figure stuff out for cost as the fine folks at montreal prepared me for a 350$ bill for that bad boy.

35DA354C-0C56-45E2-81CD-97620292FBD9.jpeg D9066296-464E-473A-8928-7E3A2B9A0299.jpeg 94085847-2E5F-4E34-90A8-2210368BFD79.jpeg 3246370D-F04F-44C1-BA57-E8AB98C9DBDA.jpeg 52E2675E-A398-4682-AA88-88811580BADE.jpeg

We need to know how many badges we're going to need. Viper 466 can you start a count so I can give that to the organizers please and thanks? Some years we've been required to pay for a certain number of them after the first couple. But it's usually compatible with regular passes with the bonus of being Exhibitor so you never have to stand in line etc. I won't know amounts until I'm able to provide numbers so the sooner we have that, the better. I think we're at 10 so far going by the spreadsheet?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
We need to know how many badges we're going to need. Viper 466 can you start a count so I can give that to the organizers please and thanks? Some years we've been required to pay for a certain number of them after the first couple. But it's usually compatible with regular passes with the bonus of being Exhibitor so you never have to stand in line etc. I won't know amounts until I'm able to provide numbers so the sooner we have that, the better. I think we're at 10 so far going by the spreadsheet?

Thanks all!
The main reason for the sign up sheet is to make sure we have the numbers for badges. I'll post up and get folks to sign up. Make sure we have everyone who's attending locked in.

I have a couple of questions about the stations and how you want them made.

First the bases, I was thinking hex shape would be good for this use. Do we want to put some kind of decal on the bases? Or just painted grey? For the 501st (sorry to keep bringing them up) we put an imperial cog on the base.

Second the grenades, are they going to be shipped to Edmonton so that we can attach them before expo or will we have to do it on site?

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back