[Calling all programmers] Open Source Pepakura Alternative, Meant for Costuming

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has done a lot of foam work using Pepakura Designer, both with editing pre-existing unfolds and creating new ones, I really haven't found a need for a new program. I think the only way to make Pepakura Designer better for foam would be to set material thicknesses in the 3d window so you know at which angle to cut the foam. Unfolding for foam just takes a little more time and some first-hand knowledge to unfold a piece properly within Designer. I'd be more than happy to create some tutorials and put together a tips and tricks/do's and don'ts list. I'll even open a thread for foam unfold requests.

Now I'm not saying that there's no point in creating a FOSS alternative to Pepakura, in fact I love the idea, it sounds like a fun project and certainly has it's advantages, but I don't think it's really a necessity.

So, this leads to (for me, always) the question of how to automate the process.

There would need to be a way to produce complex, varied angular cuts. I have a laser, so I'd want to use a laser.. but the gantry is set up with all beams rectilinear, perpendicular. The final mirror, however, could be mounted to two hobby servo-actuated gimbals to vary the angle.. with consequences for the focus at the workpiece, and necessary coordinate offsets to position the beam on stock properly. You'd need an embedded system operating the servos, something like an arduino can output the PWM required.

There would be problems with heat, telltale variations in cut thickness resulting from the stop and start between perpendicular cut, tube off, offset reposition for angled cut, tube on, angled cut.
Of course, there could also be a fixed "edge cutter" tool made to re-trim required angled cuts, if that's possible with easily-tearing foam.

Maybe just a software tool to add notes to edges intended to be angled cuts would do the trick. Omit them from lasercutting, cut them as required manually with a little angle jig like Santangelo / Helljumper made down-state here.
Could even use the laser on a super low power setting to add a guiding line.

Of course, advanced, detailed edge flags, advanced formats for export, and extensible tools like this would be easier to implement in a free, open-source pepakura.

Also, ripping models from the game and distributing them is illegal anyway,

Actually, it is sortof a legal grey area. If the file is distributed as included in said game, then no doubt is it illegal. Once the file is converted to another format, and stripped into parts, it is no longer represents the original model, as someone has put time in to manipulate, and rerender the file. I have seen it go both ways there though. (note, I am not a lawyer, and statements I made in this post, should not be taken as legal advice. I am just a person whom does research into things.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back