Cardboard Armor Detailing Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattack64

What you will need:
Cardboard
Scissors or Utility Knife or Exacto Knife
Bondo Body Filler or Spot Putty
Sharpy Marker( Not Needed - Used to mark location)

Step 1
I used this Scale drawing for here:
This Thread

Guantlet.jpg

What you can do is save the picture and open it to paint... Use the tool in page setup to make it about the right size you need

tutorialiv8.png

Step 2

Print it out and cut each section seperately Along the black that you want to include...

Anything that you want to include should be cut out making indents that you thing look how it's supposed to be on there...

Step 3

Put the Pieces where they are supposed to go or where you think look right

Here is how I made mine:

med_gallery_2596_18_509288.jpg

Step 4

You will want to make it level by using bondo or what I used is spot putty

med_gallery_2596_18_2215356.jpg

med_gallery_2596_18_838880.jpg

Step 5

Put as many layer on as needed and when it has dried, Sand smooth and you may need to add a few extra layers.

Here is what I got as almost a final. I have not painted it yet...

p9210370zr9.jpg

p9210371ta6.jpg

Final Product After Paint:

med_gallery_2596_18_630049.jpg

med_gallery_2596_18_23871.jpg

med_gallery_2596_18_24490.jpg

What do you guys think?

UnDedSnipr said:
Dude thats a great idea. I wish I would have thought of that a while ago when I started... Can't turn back now.
I mean it's just an alternative for all the bondo body filling... It's what I'm using... Saves a few bucks and it still looks great... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Sp4rt4n said:
Dude, someone should sticky this. Thank you both Mac and Ben for the joint effort on this one.
His scale drawing were just the best thing I ran into... I'm going to be using them for a few more of my armor pieces...

Macattack64 said:
His scale drawing were just the best thing I ran into... I'm going to be using them for a few more of my armor pieces...
Wish i thought of this but im to lazy to do that.

Leadingspartan said:
Wish i thought of this but im to lazy to do that.
If I don't have enough time i'm not going to add it to the rest of the suit...

I don't think I will have the time to add all the details I want to...

this looks great! the spartan refrence pics can also help, by looking at it in all the different angles. :kudos:
-------------
edit-
that spot puddy is sandable right? im sure its a ton easier to work with than bondo.

this is going to (hopefully) inspire people to do more than just throw pepakura together, resin glass, and paint it.

-i was wondering why the heck more people didn't cut out the spot on the helmet (the hose thing) and glue in some wire loom? i have seen it done before, and the stuff is super cheap, takes all of 5 mins, and the result looks way better than leaving it just fiberglassed, anyways, let me know what the drying time is on that spot puddy, and how moldable it is.

Thank you so much for reviving this thread. I just finished resining my helmet (first coat) and I plan on doing this on most of my pieces.

Hope it all works out. Will post pics when completed.

- bLiNdz0r

hey man that was awesome but could you post one showing how to make the helmet i tried to do it but failed miserably so if you could do that that would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back