Cardboard helmet from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnz777

Mark VI helmet I made from cardboard.

picture127hz7.jpg

To make the visor, you need:

Clear sheet plastic, about 1 mm thick (Approx. $11.70 for a 24"x48" sheet)
15% auto tint sheet (About $9.00 for two feet)
Transparent gold plastic sheet, about 1 mm thick (About $10.00 for two feet)
Tape
Scissors
X-acto knife/permanent marker

Cut the clear plastic sheet out in the shape of your visor. Make sure it fits in your helmet, not too small, not too big. Trace the plastic visor over the auto tint with a permanent marker or X-acto knife. Cut it out, and tape it to the plastic visor around the edges. Trace the same pattern onto the gold plastic sheet, and cut it out, taping it to the visor. Tape or glue it into your helmet, and you've got a visor almost as good as a motorcycle face shield, for about $30, and you can make about 9 or 10 of them!

I'm still missing a lot of details, because it was a rush for Halloween. I'll definitely be improving this for next year and building a full suit.

I've added some new details to my helmet. Another layer of plastic is now covering the visor, creating the dual-visor look. I've also 'Sharpied' in some details with a marker. Works like a charm!

helmnewij6.jpg

Gunnz777 said:
To make the visor, you need:

Clear sheet plastic, about 1 mm thick (Approx. $11.70 for a 24"x48" sheet)
15% auto tint sheet (About $9.00 for two feet)
Transparent gold plastic sheet, about 1 mm thick (About $10.00 for two feet)
Tape
Scissors
X-acto knife/permanent marker

Cut the clear plastic sheet out in the shape of your visor. Make sure it fits in your helmet, not too small, not too big. Trace the plastic visor over the auto tint with a permanent marker or X-acto knife. Cut it out, and tape it to the plastic visor around the edges. Trace the same pattern onto the gold plastic sheet, and cut it out, taping it to the visor. Tape or glue it into your helmet, and you've got a visor almost as good as a motorcycle face shield, for about $30, and you can make about 9 or 10 of them!

That's the price of a professional HJC gold mirrored visor for NONE of the labor :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Werd Nal said:
That's the price of a professional HJC gold mirrored visor for NONE of the labor :/
I wasn't about to order two HJC mirrored gold visors online, let alone ONE, and none of the cycle shops around me carry anything like them, so I had to come up with something. Besides, I have enough material to make more visors. So this is what I'm using for now.

You dont need 2 for a duel visor, you yourself made your own with a clear plastic sheet, others i have seen used gold carding from hobby lobby for 2 dollars, I used a hjc visor myself, I;'ve tried all these other methods, but none will come out to the superior quality of a real visor.

Nice job! Where did you get the clear plastic sheet and the gold sheet from? I'm making 4 helmets for next Halo-ween, and this looks like a great alternative, unless the guy on eBay with the gold tint gets more stock in.

I got it at a TAP plastics store. Not sure if they have them in Hawaii, but they have everything you could possibly imagine that's made from plastic.

Gunnz777 said:
Mark VI helmet I made from cardboard.

picture127hz7.jpg
Well this is more of a statement than a criticism IMO, but the jaw looks slightly more like MKV to me, and the helmet looks a little bit wide in general, but off that topic, nice visor. - Ice

Yeah I know, there's a lot of things missing. This was a major rush job for Haloween, I'm probably gonna scrap this and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back