Cardboard Q...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seno Ypsamee

Yeah, well, I've said it before, I am making a cardboard set of MJOLNIR armor for Halo-ween because my fiberglassed one will definitely not be ready in time, so, since I have never worked with cardboard before like this, I'll need some help...

OK, here we go...

1). Can you use regular spray paint on cardboard? or will it eat it away?

2). How can I get rid of the pointed edges, for I am pretty sure you cannot sand cardboard...

and

3). Can someone give me some helpful techniques for working with cardboard? I will be using the pepakura to guide me, so if you have any help to share, please do so!!

EDIT: oops... sorry for not posting this in the Cardboard and Pepakura area...

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Yeah, well, I've said it before, I am making a cardboard set of MJOLNIR armor for Halo-ween because my fiberglassed one will definitely not be ready in time, so, since I have never worked with cardboard before like this, I'll need some help...

OK, here we go...

Yes, you can. Never had a problem with it.

2). How can I get rid of the pointed edges, for I am pretty sure you cannot sand cardboard...
Duct tape? I've never had a reason to get rid of pointed edges...for safety, use duct tape.

and

3). Can someone give me some helpful techniques for working with cardboard? I will be using the pepakura to guide me, so if you have any help to share, please do so!!

Cardboard is a great tool to work with, but use corrugated! It's MUCH easier.

EDIT: oops... sorry for not posting this in the Cardboard and Pepakura area...

Last edited by a moderator:

and

Answers:

1.) Regular spraypaint will work extremely well on cardboard as long as its surface is not covered with graphics , tape, or any other finish. (Even if it does have these.. it still works.. just not as good.. lol)

2.)For pointy edges? simple enough.. just cut and shape with sissors or an exacto knife.

Correct, you cannot sand cardboard . (it wont do anything to the extent of sanding wood))

3.)Build up the base shape , add details, layer(sp?), layer and layer again , strengthen , detail, fiberglass (if desired), and paint.

If your cardboard as writing on it, go over it first with white paint, then with whatever color you want to use.

Sarge Christi said:
If your cardboard as writing on it, go over it first with white paint, then with whatever color you want to use.
Yeah, I was actually going to go over with black, since it will give it more of that MC feeling (you know how you can see not only green, but black in his armor) Then just going with an olive green or some sort.

Also, to what Monstermaker said, I do not plan on doing anything to the cardboard but painting it, it's only going to be worn once, and that's on Halo-ween, maybe down to my church and around the neighborhood.

Oh, and one more question, I have duct tape, but I would rather use hot glue, does it work with cardboard? or should I just stick with duct tape?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back