CarethFanura - 1st build to rebuild Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Photo angles are always hard to tell. In that pic my concern would be the frames hitting the visor. But again, camera angles don't always give an accurate perception.
I can put on the helmet with the glasses and looks like I'll have 1.5" space between glasses and visor itself. I wear mine near end of the nose though so that's almost 2" visor to eyes. I think it's lots lol.

Right now just trying to decide best way to solder the parts together and reduce the print lines themselves.

Wondering if anybody tried making a thin "join plate" to use for connecting the pieces at the joins to reinforce the connections? Perhaps that's unnecessary?

I can put on the helmet with the glasses and looks like I'll have 1.5" space between glasses and visor itself. I wear mine near end of the nose though so that's almost 2" visor to eyes. I think it's lots lol.

Right now just trying to decide best way to solder the parts together and reduce the print lines themselves.

Wondering if anybody tried making a thin "join plate" to use for connecting the pieces at the joins to reinforce the connections? Perhaps that's unnecessary?
You mention soldering the parts together; do you know about 3D print welding?

For reducing the layer lines, you have a few options: you can use a sandable filler primer to fill up the layers, and there's also resin fillers, like XTC-3D. Some people use wood filler/Bondo all over their project to fill the layer lines, which would definitely work, I personally just find it too messy. If you have access to a palm sander, I highly recommend one as it'll save you so much time and effort when it comes to sanding prints.

For the joint plate: have you looked at fibreglassing the inside?

It's all coming together quite well!

Fill, sand, prime, repeat - The Spartan motto
Just be sure to print with enough wall thickness. You don't want to print with only 2x .4 perimeters making a .8 wall; you'll sand through that in a heatbeat. I do a 2mm-2.4mm wall with very little infil so I have strength and sanding thickness.
A few stages all in one pic.
5percent-80percent_one-shot.jpg

You mention soldering the parts together; do you know about 3D print welding?

For reducing the layer lines, you have a few options: you can use a sandable filler primer to fill up the layers, and there's also resin fillers, like XTC-3D. Some people use wood filler/Bondo all over their project to fill the layer lines, which would definitely work, I personally just find it too messy. If you have access to a palm sander, I highly recommend one as it'll save you so much time and effort when it comes to sanding prints.

For the joint plate: have you looked at fibreglassing the inside?

It's all coming together quite well!
Fill, sand, prime, repeat - The Spartan motto
Just be sure to print with enough wall thickness. You don't want to print with only 2x .4 perimeters making a .8 wall; you'll sand through that in a heatbeat. I do a 2mm-2.4mm wall with very little infil so I have strength and sanding thickness.
A few stages all in one pic.
View attachment 327338

Thanks PlanetAlexander!

I followed the 3d Print Welding video, was super handy having a bag that I keep all my supports, bases and any failed prints in for recycling purposes HAHA. Finally paid off having that bag saved up!

Used the painters tape on the outside to hold together and welded the inner pieces first, then did some touch ups to fill any gaps on the outer side.

For first time I'm pretty happy with it. Started building my electronic part programming with my Adrino board to see how that's going to look and work.

I think filling and sanding is next... or the visor? not sure which should next TBH.
Trying to decide if I i ATTEMPT to 3d print FDM with clear PLA the visor, or ask a friend who has a resin printer to do it, or just repurpose one of those plastic face covid shields for now and replace it later on ... hmmmmmm

SgSaint, those look great, Did you use wood filler? what brand if you mind me asking?
I used 1.5mm walls and 5% infill density with the Cubic layout, hopefully mine will be thick enough :eek:

Attachments

• 20230127_090052.jpg
    20230127_090052.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230127_090100.jpg
    20230127_090100.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230127_090107.jpg
    20230127_090107.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230127_090140.jpg
    20230127_090140.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 65
Thanks PlanetAlexander!

I followed the 3d Print Welding video, was super handy having a bag that I keep all my supports, bases and any failed prints in for recycling purposes HAHA. Finally paid off having that bag saved up!

Used the painters tape on the outside to hold together and welded the inner pieces first, then did some touch ups to fill any gaps on the outer side.

For first time I'm pretty happy with it. Started building my electronic part programming with my Adrino board to see how that's going to look and work.

I think filling and sanding is next... or the visor? not sure which should next TBH.
Trying to decide if I i ATTEMPT to 3d print FDM with clear PLA the visor, or ask a friend who has a resin printer to do it, or just repurpose one of those plastic face covid shields for now and replace it later on ... hmmmmmm

SgSaint, those look great, Did you use wood filler? what brand if you mind me asking?
I used 1.5mm walls and 5% infill density with the Cubic layout, hopefully mine will be thick enough :eek:
Your build looks great so far, you've made a ton of progress in such a short time!

I wouldn't recommend FDM visors. If you have a friend with a big enough resin printer that's great! Another good option would be vacuum forming one if you can.

1.5mm walls sound pretty beefy I don't know if my helmets would have much infill left at that point, so you should be good!

As for filling, if you have access to it I'd recommend Bondo spot filler and 2 in 1 sandable filler primer as my go too!

I just put up a tutorial video on finishing props and armor a few weeks back on YouTube if you'd like a video walk-through/demonstration of a few techniques to watch before you start. Let me know if you would like a link!

I can't wait to see how your build finishes up in the next few weeks at the speed you're going!

Last edited:
Your build looks great so far, you've made a ton of progress in such a short time!

I wouldn't recommend FDM visors. If you have a friend with a big enough resin printer that's great! Another good option would be vacuum forming one if you can.

1.5mm walls sound pretty beefy I don't know if my helmets would have much infill left at that point, so you should be good!

As for filling, if you have access to it I'd recommend Bondo spot filler and 2 in 1 sandable filler primer as my go too!

I just put up a tutorial video on finishing props and armor a few weeks back on YouTube if you'd like a video walk-through/demonstration of a few techniques to watch before you start. Let me know if you would like a link!

I can't wait to see how your build finishes up in the next few weeks at the speed you're going!
Thanks Delta,

Yes the link would be greatly appreciated!

I got my fans in last week and just working on their programming, along with temperature sensors to turn them automatically on and off with an override helmet switch.

Also building in microphone/speaker and a Bluetooth connection from microphone to my phone.

Also thinking to install a motion sensor in the back of helmet so can detect motion behind me, and display on the Transparent OLED display going to install to the visor, but not 100 sure that or equip a 5mb micro camera instead hahaha.

For progress, got the chest plate printed and just taped together for now. Heading out to get those supplies you mentioned to start the smoothing process :).

Attachments

• 20230218_185410.jpg
    20230218_185410.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back