Cast Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
J&M Metalworks said:
But why stop with just the small pieces? I think I can keep the weight down ok. when I get home I'll weigh the handplate and the resined mold so we can get a comparison.

If you can do that, I think you'll earn some fanpeople.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've looked but I can't seem to find anyone with resin weapons. Does anyone know where to get those? Does anyone want to do a trade for a pistol? One resin pistol for an aluminum one and some handplates? I'll be starting on the pep for the forearms soon, but I can't seem to get the weapons right. For that matter I would be willing to trade for anything really, especially a helmet. I wonder if thorssoli would want to trade for aluminum.

You'd have to wait a couple months for him to finish his voyage.

As for the resined weapons, I'd normally suggest posting in the Classifieds forum, but you don't have 60 posts yet. :/

J&M Metalworks said:
I think I've looked but I can't seem to find anyone with resin weapons. Does anyone know where to get those? Does anyone want to do a trade for a pistol? One resin pistol for an aluminum one and some handplates? I'll be starting on the pep for the forearms soon, but I can't seem to get the weapons right. For that matter I would be willing to trade for anything really, especially a helmet. I wonder if thorssoli would want to trade for aluminum.

Oh good point, I've never worked with aluminum but have been producing lead fishing lures and weights for the past few years on a one stage melting process so it seemed a very useful little trick.

J&M Metalworks said:

Try Link4044. He has pistols that might work out for you.

Great work btw!!

sirfroget

I am not sure if I understand your question. I got into this cause I wanted a suit of armor and be able to make a few for friends (I know a few 501st guys that would love some here in Albuquerque.) Greensand casting seemed a good way to do this. I knew more about metal casting than resin casting anyway. Plus it goes "ting". As for blue real studios, I'd never heard of them before today, and I don't know how much their armor costs, but I'm sure I can do it for at least 1/10th the cost.

Oh My God. That armor is awesome. I hope that half of my stuff turns out that good.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be casting tonight, I forgot to get a replacement bulb for the floodlight and I don't want to cast in the dark.

If anyone wants to see the cleaned piece here are some pics

[attachment=13499:pIC_0377.JPG]

Does it look small to anyone else?

[attachment=13500:pIC_0378.JPG]

But I guess I hit my upload limit for the day.

More tomorrow

It does look about a centimeter off near the knuckles, but it's not too noticeable, and it might just be the way you have your hand positioned. I'm basing my comparison off of my recon figure's hands, so I might be wrong. The handplate is still pretty accurate!

Well it's not attached to the glove yet. I got a drill and tap set today so that I can mount the pieces to things, but I want to cast another one first.

Dude, thats amazing. Yet to see any metal casted armor on here yet. Id love to see this stuff finished so i hope you go through with the whole thing. If you get going good enough you might just make it into the elites pretty soon, if not just the normal section. Im curious, you said you use aluminum cans, do you remove the outer paint first or are they something different. Or does it not matter at all?

One last thing tonight

the hand plate weighs 110 grams or just under 1/4 pounds.

YuutaKenshi

The paint burns off before the can melts. So stand upwind, or wear a respirator. We will use any aluminum scrap, but the cans are most plentiful. The only real disadvantage is that while a can weighs about 13 grams you only get about 10 of it in aluminum after you skim the dross.

I'll paint it tomorrow. I have black but I need to get some olive drab (I guess I should search the forums to find out if that is really the right color.)

J&M Metalworks said:
I have black but I need to get some olive drab (I guess I should search the forums to find out if that is really the right color.)

If you're going for standard Master Chief Green, then yes, Olive Drab is your colour.

Wow, what a start there guys your doing 2 great things here , making cool halo armor and making it out of recyclable materials . I like your style keep up the great work guys I'll definatly keep watch if this thread

looks pretty good you may sift your sand through some 200 mesh screen for a much finer finish.

cans are almost pure aluminum and cast pretty soft, you may try getting your hands on some old lawnmower engined for parts to melt people through them away constantly just keep your eyes open for them. They contain a percentage of zink for a stronger cast. Also adds a bit more weight to the cast not much though but adds allot of striength to the cast.

Looks like you are well on your way to a good start in Hobbycasting. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about it, I have been doing casting for about 4 years now and it is quite an art. Trial is cool but in this hobby error can be extremely hazardous. Make sure you have a nice looooong pouring shank, a tiny bit of this stuff can burn through skin almost instantly and use a charcoal filter mask some side affects of aluminum poisoning are very unpleasant. Safety first face shield is a must welding gloves and thick clothing, pour a tiny bit on the gloves you are wearing in the picture and they are gone, if you are wearing them at the time so is quite allot of skin. Oh and you may want to get a multimeter with a thermal couple if possible good for up to 1800 deg (Sears caries them). if you over heat your melt ( yes you can over heat it ) it puts off an aluminum gas that is very bad for the lungs. If you get a thermal couple try to pour at about 1360 deg no more than 1400 above that gas is released. Use a (DRY) sand bed to pour on to control spill. Love the hobby just be careful most is obvious but be sure to spend a bit of time thinking about your safety.

You wont regret it.

Have fun looks great!!!

wow man that is really good lookin never would have thought to do that for armor parts! cant wait to c the complete thing when its done

Wow. This stuff is inspiring. I'll be watching this develop with the utmost enthusiasm. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back