Casting Materials for combat weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

So In this feature length Saga I am doing, they use many weapons such as swords, shields, axes, daggers, etc... So here's what's going on. I found someone to make custom pep and foam files for costumes and props. For props I will be making molds, but there's one thing I need to solve. The props will be used for combat so I need a casting material that is strong enough to handle this task. I did research on Simpact 60A witch is a high impact resistant urethane. And it`s quite strong. But for blade weapons I want to get the edges to 4mm. But it gets flimsy at that thickness. Would it be fine if the prop was thick down the middle and got thinner as it gets closer to the edges? Also would anyone know of a different casting material that would work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Aiden

Why not have foam weapons for distance shots, and use another casting material for weapons that need to be shown up close? It is common practice in the movie industry to have heroe weapons for the up close shots, and stunt weapons for the action shots.

Why not have foam weapons for distance shots, and use another casting material for weapons that need to be shown up close? It is common practice in the movie industry to have heroe weapons for the up close shots, and stunt weapons for the action shots.

I am aware of that method in the film industry, but the problem is that will cost way more money. Where would I be able to get foam versions in the first place? There all self designed. Not to mention there will be close ups during battle.

Foam weapons cost literally buttons to make, unless you cast them and use a self skinning foam. That can be slightly more expensive. If you have a 3D model of the weapons you'd like to use, then these can be exported to pepakura designer, and once scaled appropriately, can be used as templates for your prop maker. At a distance, a low quality foam weapon would be indistinguishable from a high end hero prop. Use your budget to make the props that need to be seen close up. A similar method is used in games called "level of detail".

Foam weapons cost literally buttons to make, unless you cast them and use a self skinning foam. That can be slightly more expensive. If you have a 3D model of the weapons you'd like to use, then these can be exported to pepakura designer, and once scaled appropriately, can be used as templates for your prop maker. At a distance, a low quality foam weapon would be indistinguishable from a high end hero prop. Use your budget to make the props that need to be seen close up. A similar method is used in games called "level of detail".

Ok, I see. Thanks for the advice. Now when you say "foam" for the combat props. What kind of foam are you talking about?

Ok, I see. Thanks for the advice. Now when you say "foam" for the combat props. What kind of foam are you talking about?

I would imagine EVA foam would work, although I'm not sure how flimsy it would be when it's the length of a sword. I know some people use PVC as a base and wrap it in foam, but I don't remember what kind of foam that is...

I would imagine EVA foam would work, although I'm not sure how flimsy it would be when it's the length of a sword. I know some people use PVC as a base and wrap it in foam, but I don't remember what kind of foam that is...

By any chance, would you know anything about Smooth Cast 60D? Because that was recommended to me because its the hardest of the semi riged line. Along with that, I though I could put some sort of foam that covers the edge to break up some of the force that is being received.

By any chance, would you know anything about Smooth Cast 60D? Because that was recommended to me because its the hardest of the semi riged line. Along with that, I though I could put some sort of foam that covers the edge to break up some of the force that is being received.

I don't know anything about it, sorry. I'm pretty new to this stuff too. I've been kind of a lurker for awhile and am just starting to work with the foam lol

Before you decide which route to go, have you heard of FlexFoam-iT 25?.

You may be able to get an idea of how a foam weapon works. http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=084

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back