CE Mk. V helmet, comission build thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boba Fett

Earlier this year, Jbetts97 wanted a mkV for the re-release of haloCE. Having worked for him before, WE struck off a deal pretty fast. I've been working on this for about 2 months now, slowly but surely making progress. Here are some pics. (also, sorry for the somewhat crappy pics. I used my laptop's webcam for the sake of convince, and thus the quality is not so hot.)

image201106280001.jpg

image201106280002.jpg

image201106280003.jpg

image201106280004.jpg

The intial pep. Instead of the traditional pep-first, resin-later method however, I reversed the order. I printed out the sheets, and treated them all to a thin coat of resin. This made assembly a bit more finicky, but on the Mk.V, it drastically reduces warpage. All the pieces are straight, and I had almost no negative effects during assembly. I did skip the ribs in the back though, as that would have been a nightmare. I plan on adding those with plastic sheet later on. The visor blades also were reinforced with plastic, to prevent unwanted bending.

image201107030001.jpg

image201107030002.jpg

image201107030003.jpg

image201107030004.jpg

Since the helmet was already resined, I could simply move onto glassing. I did 2 layers of fiberglass, then I slush-casted rondo all over the inside to ensure coverage and to minimize itchy fiberglass sticking into Jacob's head. :p

image201107200001.jpg

image201107200002.jpg

image201107200003.jpg

image201107200004.jpg

Current progress, with bondo half-applied. I was a bit sloppy at this stage, partially because it's going to need even more. So neatness wasn't a priority. Plus, here in wisconsin it's about 100+ degrees so the bondo sets up in a HURRY. My current direction is to smooth out the current application, and then see how much more is needed. I also tested the fit...
image201107200005.jpg

Slightly big on me, but Jacob has a bigger head so I dare say the scaling was spot-on. And yes, yes. Bondo is sloppy at this point. Lots of sanding awaits me, but the end result should be worth it. Comments? Critique? Any thoughts are much appreciated, as long as they are constructive. Take care.

EDIT: just noticed the mis-matched visor heights. A bit of brute-force and ignorance just cured it. :p

Dang all I have to say is that is good. and you think you have it bad I'm in AZ i have less than 5min to work with bondo but any way yes it does need some sanding (Electric is best i learnt that the hard way) but i cant wait to see it done hopefully in time for release day lol

Looking good Graham! This will go GREAT with my MK V suit! The suit is being made out of EVA Foam , so I should have time to make it before the game comes out. I couldnt do the helmet AND the suit in 5 months , so I figured that Graham would be a good choice , and that he was! Thanks again!

Sorry 'bout the delay. It's been SUPER busy around my house... I was preparing a model which will be shown in Switzerland, so that ate up more time than I anticipated.
S6300131.jpg

S6300130.jpg

S6300129.jpg

S6300132.jpg

Getting smoother and smoother, slowly. My most successful technique is to shave off any bumps and large anomalies in the bondo with my trusty Xacto, then sand the crap outta it with 120 wet'ndry. Work is progressing much faster now, only a few more small applications of bondo will be needed. comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back