Ceramic suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan1910

OK im new to this site but long time halo fan and curentlly doing fine art here in ireland. I was wondering, while I have the facilities, is it possible to make a ceramic mojlner suite or has it been done and If so can I please have a link?
I was intrested mainly because having an actual cost affective almost bullet proof mojlner suite would be pretty cool and I have three friends looking to do the same with me so help on this one would be brilliant.

1910 out...

[attachment=1771:Spartan_1910.jpg]

well it would be game accurate. you know the 1000 pounds part of the game? :rolleyes

ceramic is heavy. rreeeaaalllyy heavy. you may not thinks so but when you put it all on your gunna just dropo and not be able to get back up :cool:

Durlaburban said:
well it would be game accurate. you know the 1000 pounds part of the game? :rolleyes

ceramic is heavy. rreeeaaalllyy heavy. you may not thinks so but when you put it all on your gunna just dropo and not be able to get back up :cool:
hes right ya know. also ceramic is quite brittle, when they use it in armour they add other materials to it to give more flexability and such. carbin-kevlar is about the best if you want light, strong and bulletproof mateial.

on another note: fine art in ireland? where abouts? NCAD?

Last edited by a moderator:
I money is no problem, instead of layering fiberglass for PEP armor, try using Kevlar and fiberglass to layer the inside.

Lol, what are you, a troll?
Making armor out of ceramic? This isn't 2552 yet. No way. Ever.

Dark Rogue said:
Last I checked, ceramic wasn't bullet-proof. Unless I'm thinking of something else.

Ceramic is not bullet proof, but the kinetic force that it requires to break it takes away from the bullets power. However, once it absorbs the power of a bullet, the plate breaks, much like a dinner plate, and must be replaced. It is not meant to be bulletproof, it is meant to be bullet slowing.

ceramic armor? lol good luck standing with it on never mind walking, not to be mean or anything, just helpful

Though the armor in the game is some sort of ceramic composite, I don't think it's pure ceramic. Like some others here have said it's probably not a good idea to test it against bullets either. Ceramic is energy resistent more along the lines of heat, not kinetic.
According to HALOpedia ~
Armor Components:
Luminous Green Refractive Titanium Alloy (External)
Matte Black Alloy (External)
Shields
Hydrostatic Gel
Reactive Metal Liquid Crystal Layer
Pressure Seal

i wouldnt try it. it costs alot and its heavy... and like ares, this is the 21st century, i dont think we're ready

It is a very hard type of ceramic. The ceramic used is the same type used in the "plates" in US soldiers body armor on top of the Kevlar weave. Ceramic dissipates heat well also. Think space shuttle. But it is supposed to be brittle. It dissipateds the impact through breaking.

Only when we have super soldiers injected with super human power stuff then they would be able to wear REAL armor like masterchief, without any enhancments, we'd have a army of sitting ducks that are super powerful, and super slow.

yea, and wasnt there a normal marine guy in the books who tried on the armour and it broke his arms? anyhu, i think weve answered the question. hahaha

we'd have a army of sitting ducks that are super powerful, and super slow

DARPA is working on super soldier suits, apparently they can make people run about 50kph, also there is a japanese company working on a suit (into its 3rd generation now I think) that allows health workers(usually japanese women, who're quite small) to lift a whole person on their own. its military application is obvious. Artificial muscle technology is getting better and better and also batteries to power them are getting smaller and more powerful all the time, I'd say we'll see power armour enhanced soldiers on battle feilds in our lifetimes (sadly), probably in about 25 years.
250px-US_Army_powered_armor.jpg

So it wont be long till there's guys getting round in suits like this, covered in artifical muscles
2b15e4790d7876aaa7547be194dd5539.jpg

Im a simple man though, I'd settle for a jet pack :)

I think plastic is the best for a detailed abd professional done job on armor, ceramic wont be easy, and when done, will be way to heavy unless you have a super human suit.

No normal person would have the resources to custom fabricate ceramic armor. It is a very specialized type of ceramic, that requires laboratory and factory type conditions to produce. This thread, (no offense) is now officially pointless. Ceramic is NOT a viable armor material for your average consumer. Unless you are an ex super-soldier. Thats a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back