Soft Parts Cheap Cooling System (~$25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sithslayer78

Well, I've heard this time and time again on the forums, and its that wearing Halo is just too fething hot. And its true, as any person on the forums will tell you! Myself, my ODST suit makes me start to sweat as I'm still putting it on. O wanted to design a cheaper cooling device, and with some help, I was able to design a good cooling system "Substitute" However, this explanation gets long, and If you just want the Jist of it, just skip to the BLUE TEXT

My first idea was to just add a means of easy access hydration. Obviously, Spartans and ODSTs do not have the luxury of canteens or water bottles. So the way to go seemed to be with a "Camelbak", as seen in The Office (USA).
CamelBak-in-The-Office.png

As anticipated, the watter supply helps you to feel a bit cooler, BUT WAIT! There's more! I decided to fit this into my armor vest and walk around for awhile. To my surprise, my back felt remarkably cooled down and I was comfortable in my armor. It turns out that the water resivior near the body acts as a cooling system. This operates on three essential properties of SCIENCE!.
An Endothermic Reaction
As you walk, the water moves around in the pouch, releasing kinetic energy. Since energy is required for the water to move, it takes that energy from the most abundant source, your body. Water is a horrible insulator. Thus it readily absorbs energy. Thus, as you move around, the water in the pouch absorbs energy from your body to supply kinetic energy, making you feel cooler.
Concentration Gradients
Unless your'e nuts, water you pour is usually cooler than 33 °C or 91 °F. As a result, to maintain equilibrium, the temperature from your skin will transfer via osmosis to the water (which readily avbsorbs temperature as a poor insulator) thus, cooling your body down.
Relative Temperatures
Your body is hotter than the bladder. When you put it on, it feels cold.

I went to a Halloween "Rav3" and essentially danced around for 4+ Hours with this on. Although still hot, I was actually comfortable enough. Definitely a success imo.

BLUE TEXT

Supplies:
Hydration Bladder ~$20USD
41TYEwzzViL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Some kind of mounting tools ~5 (Roughly) dollars.
xacto.jpg

-Find some way to attach your bladder to your armor while having the bladder in relative close contact to you, your undersuit, etc.
0f6e84c6.jpg

b672995c.jpg

enjoy.

CamelBak-in-The-Office.png

41TYEwzzViL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

xacto.jpg

0f6e84c6.jpg

b672995c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome! i was sweating buckets in my armor, and this was OUTSIDE at NIGHT during Halloween! the only downsides i see to this is if you need to buy multiple bladders =/

Just putting the bladder in close contact to your body is going to heat the water up to near skin temperature and not feel cool anymore. It will happen surprisingly quick too. Water can hold a lot of heat for quite some time. The best way I can think of to do it would be to have an insulated cold reservoir with lots of ice and just enough water to fill about half the "lines" that are near your body. A small medical pump would be used to cycle the water through the lines that are close to you. When you get warm, you activate the pump and the water runs through the reservoir and cools down and then cools you off. As you move and heat up, the water is going to get warm again and you just cycle as needed.

Well the beauty of it is that as you drink the water in the bladder, you can just refill it again! (at least for my suit)

I used this idea while at a school for the Air Force. We had 110 degree days, very little overhead cover, and nearly non-stop work pace. By freezing about 3/4 of the capacity the night before, and then filling the remainder with cold water, I could put the pack on my back and be much more comfortable while working. Of course, over 12 hours it had to be replenished two or three times because of the heat and work load, but boy... was it worth it.

did this exact same technique when dressing as Boba Fett for an annual parade, 8 km route, non stop, but before hand I chilled it to the point where it was almost freezing, kept me cool for the entire route and was very refreshing.

its important to remember your anatomy as well, if your able to apply anything cold to any one of the arteries located around your body it will drastically reduce your temperature. E.G: by taking an ice pac and holding it to the Carotid Artery(located in your neck and commonly used to take your pulse) it literally cools the blood as its being pumped into your head and subsequently threw your body, causing your body to cool down. by putting the cold water on your back or on your chest its kinda like pouring water onto a superheated frying pan. if you have enough then it could be effective but you'd need a LARG amount. Small, localized cooling located by the arteries in the, neck(Carotid), bicep(Brachial) and inner thighs(Femoral) will keep you cool.

I used the 100oz. Camelback at the school I mentioned, and in Iraq and Afghanistan. If you're going to be out in the sun, then there are lots of little tips and tricks any military member that has spent time in the field can tell you. If you're in a hot, dry environment, you want to use something that will stay in contact with you and will cool you through evaporation. If you'r in a humid environment... About the best thing I can think, aside from the frozen Camelback and the icepacks, is really good air flow. You want the most evaporation you can get.

If anyone in interested, I'll look for a few items to assist in cooling. Afterall, it's not like you can carry an air conditioner around with you and it not be a bit of a bother.

I Livein the desert. and work underground, where temperatures reach 80 degrees, Celsius. drink water and have air flow. thats what keeps you cool. oh, and if that doesnt work...take concrete and Harden up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back