Clay Mark Vi Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman065

Jr Member
Recently I had to do a clay project in one of my art classes recently. The clay that we used was raku clay. It is a water based clay that is pretty cheap and easy to work with. I collected up the extra clay from people who didn't want theirs some of it was new, some of it was reclaimed. After a few horrible failures at trying to use the packing tape and seran wrap method to cast my head (my fault on the failures) i decided to go a more basic route. I used the Flying Squire Mark VI HD helmet that i had sitting around in my room to size a Styrofoam ball that I picked up at the craft store. Once I shaved down enough to get the ball to fit into the helmet i mounted it on a 1 1/2" steel pipe that is attached to a Pipe flange on a good sized piece of particle board. From there I simply covered it in clay until it was roughly the same size as the Pep version that I had and started carving. Here are the process shows that I took...

I wrapped the styrofoam ball in clear backing tape after I got it sized. The clay seemed to stick to it alot better. The tape needed to be dry though, if the tape gets any water on it then the clay doesn't stick very well.

IMG_1783.jpg

First layer of clay.

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

First roughing out of the helmet

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Comparison Shot

IMG_1792.jpg

A bit further along in the process with more detail added in.

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

Sorry that its so many pictures.

I did this over the course of about 10 hours or so. I also have the entire thing built onto a lazy suzann, it makes it alot easier to work on. The project itself has a long way to go though. The back side seems to be a little short and there is still alot of detail that needs to be added, not to mention the other side of the helmet has barely even been started and it is a little to wide compared to the pep version. Its a great projects though, because I am working with a material that is new to me and I am learning alot with every part that I work on. I will keep this updated as I continue to work on it.

The long term goal is to cast this helmet and make molds from it. I will admit that I do like working in clay like this. It has alot more freedom to it that the Pep versions don't offer (IMO). If this project does end well then I will be doing some others like it, perhaps a few WoW helmets for my fellow WoW junkie friends or some of the other permutations on the Halo armor.

Either way, let me know what you guys think! I live on criticism!

Looks really good! just remember to watch out during the drying process, waterbased clay tends to shrink and crack alot it would be a shame to see all your hard work crackup on the bench. Myself and ithica along with a few others had finished models go to pieces during the drying and only a couple were salvageable. Keep up the good work .

Cheers!

I am not planning on letting it dry out. Going to be casting it while it is still fairly wet. I know that some of the smoothon stuff requires Sulfur free clay, but I used what I had available, so we will see what happens.

looking real good. i agree with your opinion on clay. i'd forgotten how much fun it is to work with.

keep it up, i'm sure your bucket'll turn out great.

that looks awesome so far! are you going to be inserting a visor in the sculpt to make sure itll fit into the cast?

As a sculptor myself. It is coming out really good. I have a Predator Bio mask ready to be casted! But keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing the end product. And just a tip, most sculptors start off making a skeleton then fills the spaces in when the do that part.

@ Centerside

Yes the brim is a bit off, but I am still working on getting it right.

@Rachciav

When I am able to get down to the motor cycle shop I will get a pair of visors. For now I am going to insert the paper version that would have gone into the Pep version so that I can use that as a cheap, to scale, alternative until I can get the real thing.

@ WarHead9705

What do you mean by a skeleton? I have seen a few sculptures done by starting with a bare bones skull (literally looked like a roughed out skull) that they built upon.

Thank you for the feedback!!! Will have more pics up when I have knocked out a bit more of it.

Will have more pictures up in a few days. Finals week is next week so I have alot of projects to finish up this week before I can get back to the helmet.

very nice, cant wait to see it finished, im thinking about going to clay molding instead of pep after i finish my prom project. best of luck

Finally got some work done on the helmet! I took care of some of the issues with the top and back. I also tried to thin out the sides a little bit and I have been adding detail as I go. Here are the update shots!

Right side, more detail was added but still needs alot of work on this side

IMG_1810.jpg

Left side, most detail here. Needs some refinement and scale adjustment.

IMG_1812.jpg

Front, added more detail and also tried to fix the visor size issues I was having. Still needs some work on the front detail of the jaw as well as the vents.

IMG_1814.jpg

Classy shot

IMG_1815.jpg

Started to carve out the top sections but stopped, need to do a little bit of adjusting, plus it was late, didnt want to screw it up.

Top view

IMG_1825.jpg

Backside, needs alot of work. Not just detail but also some adjustment on the left side. Its a bit off in terms of volume/density.

IMG_1818.jpg

Worked on it for about 9 hours or so tonight. Made some good progress but still a long road to go. They say that when working with clay, its never done. There is always something else you can do with it. I am finding that is very true and it needs to live up to my standards in order for it to finally be done.

Oh well, let me know what you guys think!!!!

I think the 405th has another sculpter!! Nice work! and trust me you will never be completely done lol I still go back and adjust some things on my marine and its been finished for almost a month lol.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back