Colonial, Let's get moving. (A judgement free getting healthy together)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashuraa

Research Team Lead
Member DIN
S015
Ok. Some of us have gotten an idea of helping encourage each other in becoming the healthiest that we can each be personally.

So this thread is being dedicated to dietary information. Work out information. General encouragement. And goals that people are willing to share.

Any post that is derogatory will be removed.

I had a friend a couple years ago in college that weighed probably 300 lbs. He didn't seem to mind and would drink soda and eat junk without a lot of activity. Over the course of our junior summer he apparently started keto dieting (cutting out carbs/sugar) and he had to have lost almost 50-60 lbs, along with some minor cardio, when I next saw him the following school year. By the time we graduated he lost even more and was near lower 200s. He said the hardest part is sticking to the diet but eggs go a long way for his diet and he seems to be in high spirits about it. Also he stopped drinking soda.

Probably one of my favorite memories from college was seeing him after a whole summer and telling him he looked like he lost a lot of weight, and the way his face lit up about it was awesome.

Last edited:
My goal is to reach a healthy weight of 150 lbs.
I am 41 years old. I honestly can say the last time I consciously remember being below 160 lbs was when I was 16.

At Christmas time I was nearly 240 lbs. I am now currently 213.

I have changed my diet. I am still making changes. I am trying to choose more consistently a whole food plant based diet.

My current close goal is 200 lbs by Halo outpost discovery.

I’m all in again. I am pushing 300. And I is going to stop. I have already cut the soda to maybe one or two a week and they are clear sodas. Coffee is goin back to black coffee and lost of water. Keeping busy when I am bored and build when stressed so I just don’t eat.

I am doing kettlebell swing each night. About 30 to 40 total and push ups. Then a protein shake immediately after. Hygiene to keep a positive feel. And honestly talking to Rachel about the stuff bothering me make me feel waaaayyyyy better. I guess my goal is 250. I’d love to see 220 but I have built muscle from working so not too sure. But here’s to goals!

Fitness and nutritional information plague the Internet, some I believe to be true and helpful while others I believe to be downright false and misleading. I will share with you what has worked personally for me and clients over the years. I will make these steps as simple as I possibly can. First are foremost you have to understand your individual caloric intake and how it effects your overall weight. Here I will explain and give an example...

STEP ONE: find any free calorie calculator on the web ( Calorie Calculator) and enter in your individual stats. Here you will find a few numbers in regards to calories that will start you in the right direction. For most people. You will focus on two numbers. “Extreme fat loss” and “fat loss”. What this mean is that if you eat this amount of calories a day and keep up with routine exercise you will LOSE weight. An example would be, I am 30 years old, 6ft and weigh 188 currently. Because I am leaning out for summer, I’m currently consuming 1,880 calories alongside routine exercise. Doing so has caused me to lose about 1- 1/2 half pounds per week. The more weight you have to lose? The faster it will come off.

STEP TWO: ok so I have my caloric deficit number, but how do i keep track of everything I’m eating to make sure I’m eating the right amount? EASY..my fitness pal app, it’s free and accessible. It’s tedious at first but you need to be tracking your food. You need to understand where your calories are coming from. I can’t tell you how many people have no idea the amount of calories that’s in the food they are consuming. You will have to tinker with the app, learn it in your own way but it is a NECESSARY TOOL.

STEP 3: understanding macro nutrients, what makes up your total calories. This is your protein, fats and carbs. That’s the only thing you need to focus on starting out. Everyone’s percentage of these macro nutrients are different but most will be relatively the same. High protein, medium carbs, low fat. An example percentage for a guy like me, The makeup of my total calories consist of 190 of protein, 145g carbs and 60g of fat give or take. My fitness pal will help you calculate this percentage but it will usually look something like carbs 30% fat 25% and protein 45%. This may be different for you.

Step 4: WORKOUT!

I don’t think I need to write out individual plans for people, the Internet is full of healthy and relatable workouts you can follow, you just have to have the discipline to follow through with it. Accountability for your health is your priority and yours alone. Just get moving!!! Make it fun.

Last but not least, this is only the beginning. There is so much more knowledge I have on the subject, so many more tips and tricks to share...but this should at least get people started in the Right direction. I am available for any questions and guidance

I'm about 160 pounds which isn't bad but I'm only 16 and most of that weight is fat. So I'd like to cut down on fat if not gain some muscle while I'm at it. I was lifting weights twice a week earlier in the year but I stopped because I have poor time management and our family was going through issues. now I'm trying to get back into it as well as doing some running too.

Thank you DefineLuck for this fountain of information. I know for a fact that I will benefit from this......knowing how much I can/should eat, is a better method that waiting to see if I have to open up my belt after lunch because my pants are too tight.....

I'm going to join in with you guys. I currently have the body of a donut with sprinkles. I'm okay with the curves, I'm not okay with the midsection. It's a pretty standard thing for women over 40, but it's unhealthy as all get out and I want it gone.

I have definitely 40 pounds to lose but I'd be happy with 60. I have the added adventure of 6 million food allergies. A lot of the replacements for things are just cardboard, sawdust and sugar, but mentally it's difficult to cut more out when I'm already so limited. Also, there are lots of times I end up in situations where the only option for me to eat is junk or go hungry and nobody wants to see me hangry.

After Star Wars Celebration a few years ago where I volunteered the whole time for ridiculous hours a day and was on my feet for all of it, I was gifted with a fabulous case of plantar fasciitis which has taken me the better part of 2 years, including orthotics for a large chunk of time, to recover from. While I certainly wasn't all that active before it, I was definitely not active at all after that. Add in arthritis and tracking in my knees, hip issues and generally feeling like crap because of the food issues, I have challenges.

Recently though I had to start taking prescription medication for heart burn. While I'd like to just blame that on this place (hahahaha...I kid, I kid) I know the reason is the extra weight. It interupted my sleeping by both the acid reflux and the clogged sinuses being a side effect of it. I HATE taking prescriptions but I knew that the reduced sleep was not going to help the situation at all so I've caved at least for a bit to see if I can get this under control.

I remember growing up being so appalled at my grandmother who could barely get around simply because she did nothing and therefore lost much of her muscle tone and flexibility. Now I see how short sighted that was and how easy, and early of an age that bad habit can start.

I'm not looking to be a fitness model or gain all kinds of muscle. I want to be a healthy weight and regain my stamina and flexibility and muscle tone before age makes this even harder. Diet is going to be my massive challenge but I've started making strides to go back to cooking lunches for the week on Sundays etc. and that will definitely help.

I did this before. I was part of the 300DC group that costume as Spartans from the movie 300 at DragonCon. I worked hard and lost 60 pounds and was in fabulous shape. And then my allergies (before I knew what they all were) got out of control and I got really sick. Over the years I've gained 40 of it back. Time to stop that trend. What really helped me at 300DC was the community support and the goals. Obviously the big goal was DragonCon but there were all sorts of mini challenges along the way to participate in to help you get to that big goal. We celebrated all of the victories, big and small, and supported each others in the failures. So I believe very much in something like this group being effective.

I am NOT going to be defined by my challenges but rather by my ability to work around them. Who's with me??

The workout is currently kettlebell swing 6 sets of 50 reps, 4sets to 10 reps of push-ups, crunches, leg lifts, jumping jacks for 50, 3 sets of 30squats. 3 sets of 20 lungs. Kind of have to drop the weight fast...... the armor is very snug from my last con. I have an event next week too......so fasting hard and nothing but black coffee and water

Another topic I can comment on is KETO, I’m sure most of you know what that is and the craze behind it. If any of you are interested in learning more, I do recommend it for those looking to drop weight fast. It’s a TOOL to jumpstart weight loss, nothing you sustain permanently. - also a quick tip on workouts, there’s an old fashioned saying. “ it’s easier to stay in shape, then it is to get in shape” it’s a long freaking road, but you can’t be Afraid to push yourself a little bit. Don’t be Intimidated by Fitness. You’d be surprised how fast your body will adapt to it. Something for the guys to try out: split your workout days into movements instead of body parts. For example:

Monday would be your PULL day. This means every exercise would involve pulling motions which would end up working out things like you back, biceps and rear delts. Tuesday would be a cardio day. Wednesday would be leg day or LOWER body. So you’d be working out all the good stuff like quads glutes Hams and calf’s. Then Thursday would be another cardio day and Friday would be your PUSH day where every movement you are pushing. Thus working out chest, triceps shoulders delts etc...then take the weekend off or do some more light cardio! If anyone is interested in learning actual exercise that are good for push pull legs let me know.

Thank you DefineLuck for this fountain of information. I know for a fact that I will benefit from this......knowing how much I can/should eat, is a better method that waiting to see if I have to open up my belt after lunch because my pants are too tight.....

Happy to hear this, it sounds complicated but it’s actually such a simple concept. If you know the amount of calories your body needs in order to be in a Caloric deficient and lose weight, you’re a step ahead. Then by actually tracking what you eat you become more aware of the foods that are causing you to put on fat in the first place. Just by eating in a caloric deficit you will LOSE weight. You don’t even need to workout for this to occur, it’s why it’s such a pivotal part of the process. The diet! If you end up using my fitness pal as your calorie counter of choice. You literally can just scan the barcode of the food you’re eating or search it and it will input the exact calories in your meal per the serving you had. And deduct it from your total daily calories so you can see how many you have left for the day. It teaches you to be wiser....if you have 2,000 calories to spend in a day, and you are drinking a soda that has 450 calories in it, compared to the 15 calorie crystal light, you realize how quickly you eat up those calories. Hopefully this makes sense to all of you in what I’m trying to say. It all comes down to choices, some people even have fun with it. You start looking on the back of nutritional labels and realize all is not created equal. One slice of bread can be 110 calories where as the one next to it is 40 calories a slice!

My weeks update. I have now reached below 210 on the scale.

Saturday 's menu consisted of

Breakfast
1 Kind bar

1st snack
2 halo oranges and a banana

Lunch.
1 bowl of sticky rice
2 small red potatoes
1.5 cups of fresh uncooked green beans

2nd snack
1 halo Orange
1 banana
1 lady Apple

Dinner
2 vegan soft tacos. Which had flour tortias, fresh green a and red peppers, onion, and the vegan taco filling.

Sunday was a day off.

I had a small bowl of fiber squares
2 halo oranges
I veggie wrap.
A small order of fries

1 slice of homemade strawberry pie (a low sugar recipe. If you want it I can give it to you)
And a serving of Philly hamburger helper

Monday is also a day off from work.

Do date I have had one small bowl of fiber squares

My weekend report:

Weighed in on last Monday at 265 lbs......today, 260 lbs.

I haven't started any exercise regiment...... yet,....... but I have changed my diet......watching what I eat and not snacking on junk......I need to get back into rabbit food!!! Veggies and the like..........yummm. Once I have that back under controle...diet wise....I need to get back on to the bike!!! At least the weather is being more cooperative.

I made my breakfast and lunch for the work week and brought it all in today so I don't have to worry about it.

Breakfast was dairy free coconut yogurt and peaches. It's a larger size single serving but I think tomorrow I'll add in a slice of whole grain raisin toast with dairy free butter and some crumbled pecans which I forgot this morning. Lunch will be a Budha bowl. I have a container with black beans, corn, mini sweet peppers, red onions and cucumber. I'll add in some quinoa as the base, add some of each of those veggies, and then top with some arugula, advocado, a little cabbage for extra crunch, a little bit of soft goat cheese, some fresh salsa and a little poppyseed dressing to tie it all together. I'm going to limit my meat consumption to evenings only and eventually get to a point where I don't eat it often at all. And I'm cutting out as much as possible things that are processed.

Well for me....A while back I was introduced to a dietary supplement called "Almased". It's made from Soy, Yogurt and Honey (first 3 ingredients). My friend who is very overweight took it to his nutritionist ( works in NYU Medical), who told him to stop taking the stuff he gave my friend, and to start using this!!!! I mix it w/ 8 -10 oz of cold water and fire it down raw....It tastes like unsweetened pancake batter....and yes I know what that tastes like......You can mix it w/ any fruit you want and some ice and blend it for a great smoothy. You just can't mix it w/ anything hot. It kills the properties that help w/ weight loss. The last time I was using this twice a day (breakfast and lunch), along w/ exercise, I lost over 50 lbs over the summer!!!! Come the Jewish holidays....I had to get all my clothes taken in because everything was falling off of me. Even my jeans.......if it weren't for belts, I'd have them around my ankles after 10 steps. I'm back on it again. I just need to motivate myself to get off my backside and exercise. There are plenty of reviews on this product, but the most common complaint: "I miss chewing my food....but I'm loosing weight!!!!".

Lunch was delicious. I loved it.

It's not loving me back. I'm at a loss as to who the guilty culprit is. I'll try again tomorrow and see if the same result happens. I've eaten all of those things many times without issue. It may be that my tummy was a little sensitive from something over the weekend and given that I ate a bunch of stuff at lunch that require more work to break down, my guts are just unhappy about the situation. Same thing happened on Saturday evening after I ate a meal containing nothing that's ever bothered me before. Stupid guts.

Gastrointestinal issues aside.....which I feel for you........I think that is a little too much info FANGS....but thank you for sharing :eek:. Lets stick to the topic of what's best to eat, what you've done to better your self, exercise & diet tips and if you chose, current weight or current weight loss.

FANGS FYI.....at a certain age (not sharing that).......your body doesn't process food like it used to.....especially when its bogged down w/ extra baggage. What didn't bother you yesterday, might the next.....I love pizza....hell I could have it morning, noon and night. But now, I have to have tums on hand just in case.....not always, just at random times.

Sure thing. I'll leave you guys to it. Best of luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back