Complete Pepakura Viewer for CraftROBO guide/FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I gather, with the Silhouette SD you would print the pattern first then use the SD to cut it out. Sounds like you cant do that with the Cameo.

Well the Silhouette Studio does have a 'print n cut' feature but I think that the DXF file format only stores the info on the cut and fold lines. I don't think it records info on the textures. Although, I have not tried to export a PDO with textures. I imagine that it would be near impossible to cut something with Silhouette Studio by trying to match up something that was printed from another program.

Here is a thought for someone to look into though. The program 'pep viewer for craft robo' sets up the registration marks on the page so see if the registration marks can be exported with the DXF file. If they can and you can match up the registration marks in the Silhouette Studio then maybe you could print from Pep viewer, export the cut data to Silhouette Studio, line everything up, and then cut out the pre-printed paper. I have know idea if that would work but someone that has access to the program could check it out.

Well the Silhouette Studio does have a 'print n cut' feature but I think that the DXF file format only stores the info on the cut and fold lines. I don't think it records info on the textures. Although, I have not tried to export a PDO with textures. I imagine that it would be near impossible to cut something with Silhouette Studio by trying to match up something that was printed from another program.

Here is a thought for someone to look into though. The program 'pep viewer for craft robo' sets up the registration marks on the page so see if the registration marks can be exported with the DXF file. If they can and you can match up the registration marks in the Silhouette Studio then maybe you could print from Pep viewer, export the cut data to Silhouette Studio, line everything up, and then cut out the pre-printed paper. I have know idea if that would work but someone that has access to the program could check it out.

I'm curious as to why the Cameo doesn't work in the same way that the SD does. What's so different about it? Is it just not compatible with Pepakura for Craftrobo, because based on the video at the beginning of this thread, it worked perfectly with a few tweaks.

So I too am having the error message "Cannot find information about craft Robo controller" whenever I hit "OK" when I go to development cuts. I have the Silhouette SD, does anyone know how to fix this?

The silhouette CAMEO has direct support for pepakura now

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/download/viewer_crobo.html

Ha, you beat me too it. I have been working with Yotsuya from Tama Software Ltd to help him test and make suggestions for this program that supports the Cameo. It is working pretty good now. There will probably be some small changes coming on some updates soon. Anyone who got the cameo for pepakura MUST get this program! It is so much faster and cuts better and more efficiently than the work-around using Silhouette Studio that I posted before.

Also, he is looking into giving the Pepakura Designer the Cameo support so you don't have to switch programs. Not sure when/if that will happen.

I took back my SD and purchased the CAMEO from Amazon at roughly $270 dollars and some change. IT IS WORTH IT!!!!! Forget getting the SD and going through the headache at the start of this thread of printing at one size and cutting at another. Print on letter, then send it to the CAMEO and cut it on letter. Well worth the money!!!

Hi,
Can someone verify that the Cameo does not need the pep files converted from A4 to letter paper size for the
pep viewer cutting to work.
Thanks

Hi,
Can someone verify that the Cameo does not need the pep files converted from A4 to letter paper size for the
pep viewer cutting to work.
Thanks

It doesn't need to be converted. I have a CAMEO and it works awesome! Its pretty easy to use. The only problem I have had is when one of the pieces is too far in to the Registration Marks and the laser picks it up instead of the mark. I just played around with the distance of the marks and the laser picks it up fine. Ill post the measurements I use when I get home, I highly recomend you get one if haven't already.

Here is a tutorial on how to work with the Silhouette CAMEO.

tutorial.jpg
[/IMG]

First off make sure you have selected the right paper size prior importing your file into the Pepakura Viewer. I'm using letter size paper and it is set at Portrait. This is very important that its in Portrait or else it may not work.

Load the printed Pep file with the small black Registration-marker box in the upper right hand corner of the carrier sheet. The pep file will be upside down but this is fine. The arrow is facing away from you and with the numbers right side up. Align the corner of the paper to the corner of the grid. Its the corner with the 12 inch marker on it. Next load it into the printer and hit ENTER on the printer to feed it in.

1. Go to File> Registration-mark Configuration. Set the values to the ones in the image above. 25, 10, 15, 10.

2. Go to File>Cut Developments

3. Choose the page you want to cut and click OK.

4. Make sure the CAMEO is chosen for your printer and make sure you have Letter paper selected. Then click on the Properties button.

5. Check Use Carrier Sheet and then click on the Controller button.

6. The media type doesn't matter as long as you have your blade set to 3. You can do this manually with a key that comes with the printer and blade (check your box and user manual). Click the Use Keyboard button and use your keyboard to align the blade on the little black Registration-marker box. Once that is done hit the Calibration button.

7. Next hit the Registration Mark Reading Test button and wait for it to finish then hit Close. Finally hit the Registration mark reading button and if all is right the CAMEO will read all the marks and the hour glass on your mouse will disappear. Then your ready to hit CLOSE and hit Cut when the next window pops up. If you get an error message it could be a number of things that I'm still trying to figure out. Here is a short list of trouble shoots I've done and fixed:

1. Make sure its printing straight from your printer.

2. Make sure all of your pieces are within the Registration markers. They can not go outside them AT ALL.

3. Make sure the paper is aligned as close as you can to the grid on the carrier sheet.

Other than that I can't help you. But keep on trying all of the above. I just about pulled my brains out trying to get it to work when I first got it. As I'm typing this I'm fighting with the CAMEO as it isn't printing my last page but printed the previous six just fine. Good Luck and I hope this helps!!!

thomastattoo86,
Thanks for your help.

I currently have a craftrobo and i hate how i must convert all the files from
a letter format into a A4 format, before i could cut it on the pep viewer / cutter.

The Cameo sounds like it should save some hassle and time.
I guess i have to add to my list of things to buy.

thomastattoo86,
Thanks for your help.

I currently have a craftrobo and i hate how i must convert all the files from
a letter format into a A4 format, before i could cut it on the pep viewer / cutter.

The Cameo sounds like it should save some hassle and time.
I guess i have to add to my list of things to buy.

Awesome man! I bought the Silhouette SD and took it back as soon as I saw Pepakura came out with a viewer specifically for the CAMEO. I finally got it to print my last page last night. It wasn't working at first because the printer printed the Registration marks crooked. Once I lined up the paper feeding into my printer better and feed it into the CAMEO it read them just fine. Its defiantly worth the money.

I would adjust the registration marks to 10mm on all sides. If you leave it at 25mm on the top margin you are wasting a lot of space/cardstock plus you will have to move parts around in pep designer before you cut since you cant save with pep viewer (I think) and you cant move the parts using pep viewer for Cameo.

Your directions vary a little from the directions that are listed from Tamasoft. He said to input the distance between the registration marks... I am assuming that this is not a necessary step since you didn't do it and it worked for you. This might actually explain a problem I am having. My cuts seem to be stretched a little wider and longer than the printed lines. Maybe if you set the distance marks it is overriding the registration detection and throwing my cuts off. I will try to make a cut without these numbers tonight and see if it takes care of my issue. I had come up with a work around that seems to work pretty good by bumping up the numbers by 1mm. It was still cutting a hair off the lines but pretty close.

Anyone else having this issue?

I would adjust the registration marks to 10mm on all sides. If you leave it at 25mm on the top margin you are wasting a lot of space/cardstock plus you will have to move parts around in pep designer before you cut since you cant save with pep viewer (I think) and you cant move the parts using pep viewer for Cameo.

Your directions vary a little from the directions that are listed from Tamasoft. He said to input the distance between the registration marks... I am assuming that this is not a necessary step since you didn't do it and it worked for you. This might actually explain a problem I am having. My cuts seem to be stretched a little wider and longer than the printed lines. Maybe if you set the distance marks it is overriding the registration detection and throwing my cuts off. I will try to make a cut without these numbers tonight and see if it takes care of my issue. I had come up with a work around that seems to work pretty good by bumping up the numbers by 1mm. It was still cutting a hair off the lines but pretty close.

Anyone else having this issue?

You are right darkside_501st, I wasn't thinking of the wasted space. I was just trying to get the darn thing to cut. Mine seems to be cutting damn near on the line. Sometimes its a tad insignificant hair over but, its no enough to ruin anything. It cuts either on the line or right out side it. The piece is essential the right size, and the numbers are still visible. I just move wear I score and fold the piece according to how the piece was cut and it works all the same.

Thanks for the help with actually getting the Pepakura Cameo software, but for some reason when I try to hit "controller" in preferences it says it wont connect, yet I haven't found a single fix for it online.

Thanks for the help with actually getting the Pepakura Cameo software, but for some reason when I try to hit "controller" in preferences it says it wont connect, yet I haven't found a single fix for it online.

That is strange... and then of course I am sure you have checked the obvious and made sure that the Cameo is turned on and connected to the computer via USB cable. Does Silhouette Studio recognize the Cameo? Have you made sure that all the Cameo device drivers are the newest available? If so, then you might want to contact Silhouette and see if they can offer tech assistance over the phone.

Yes sir, drivers installed, absolutely everything you can imagine I have attempted to do. I even plugged it in to each possible usb port in my computer and still didn't get a single response!

The strangest part is the fact that I can actually cut with the machine but because I cant access the controller I cant properly arrange the blade with the registration marks which ends up making the cut usually not follow all the way through. So that rules out a faulty USB cable, I'll see if I cant find the folder that has the actual controller in it.

Also, I spoke to Silhouette and they had actually nothing to say what so ever regarding the controller, considering the fact that they didn't intend on anyone actually installing the drivers to use it as a printer, so the best advice the lady could offer me was to use the Studio software. Thanks for the ideas though, and ill try to check back in sooner next time or maybe post a few pictures of the error.

Yes sir, drivers installed, absolutely everything you can imagine I have attempted to do. I even plugged it in to each possible usb port in my computer and still didn't get a single response!

The strangest part is the fact that I can actually cut with the machine but because I cant access the controller I cant properly arrange the blade with the registration marks which ends up making the cut usually not follow all the way through. So that rules out a faulty USB cable, I'll see if I cant find the folder that has the actual controller in it.

Also, I spoke to Silhouette and they had actually nothing to say what so ever regarding the controller, considering the fact that they didn't intend on anyone actually installing the drivers to use it as a printer, so the best advice the lady could offer me was to use the Studio software. Thanks for the ideas though, and ill try to check back in sooner next time or maybe post a few pictures of the error.

Ok, just one more question I have to ask. Did you download and install the Cameo Controller file from Tamasoft? It comes separate from the Pep Viewer for Cameo.

If you have also done this then you might want to uninstall everything and reinstall it again. If that doesn't work then contact Tamasoft and see if they can help.

Hi, I'm completely new to this and I'm struggling to get started. I've got a Robocraft C220. I've installed it to the computer with drivers and Robocontroller. I have Pepakura viewer for Robocraft and Pepakura designer. For the life of me I just can't get it to recognize the registration marks on the card. It's probably something simple that I'm doing wrong but it's sucking my will to live. Any ideas? It keeps telling me that I haven't set the distance between registration marks. I try and do this in the Robocontroller programme but the settings don't save for when I open Pepakura viewer and it won't let me put in the distance from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back