Computer Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACDCrockr209

Can anyone please tell me how to get my computer back to the way it was when it came out of the box?

I have a feeling this is do to a program that I downloaded that wouldn't respond.

I would really appreciate the help.

-Pony

I would try system restore and just go back to before you tried to download the file, if that fails then you can reformat but usually system restore would work.

Uhh.....well, assuming you're running Windows, and you have System Restore enabled.

For XP

Go to Start-accessories-System Tools- System Restore.
Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next"
Choose a restore point that is before you installed the program.

For Windows Vista and 7

Go to Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore
Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next"
Choose a restore point that is before you installed the program.

Also, to ensure that you do not have any other "nasties" lurking in the bowels of your OS, download Malwarebyte's Anti-Malaware, boot into safe mode (press F9 while computer is booting), install MBAM, and then run a full scan.

What program? What operating system are you running? What are your system's basic hardware specs? (I work at a computer repair shop, you caught me on a good day...)

Well the first thing I do before I do a reformat is to run two programs. One is Malwarebytes (the free version) and the Other one is Avast (also free) in boot mode. Malwarebytes once Installed the computer can be put into safe mode then malwarebytes can be run. That removes a majority of the virus's power over the computer.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Once that is done. Install Avast anti virus. Go under the boot scan option and schedule a boot scan for the next time you boot up. Restart your computer and it will start the scan. If it finds anything hit the option that says "move to chest" normally its 6.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

That's a pretty broad way of getting rid of a virus. If you can post a few screen shots and give us a name of the program you downloaded we can help you narrow down a solution.

Try booting into safe mode before you try to wipe your system. More info on the problem would help with the solution though. Bullseye has provided great options for malware removal.

I echo Bullseye's advice for the Malware bytes. We use that at work for virus removal and it's probably some of the best software out there honestly. Running a full scan in safe mode will help you. However, Avast is a free program, now they are charging for full protection. So if you get the free one it is not active protection, it's just a scanner, nothing more.

There's a few things you can do first before attempting a format of the hard drive.

Run disk clean up. This will help remove some of the garbage files that Windows accumulates.

Run disk defragmenter. I recommend downloading Auslogics free one. It is much quicker than windows and I see noticeable improvements in performance after using it.

If you do want to go ahead and get it back to factory setting, then yes you will have to reformat the partition. By doing this, you will lose your programs, data and settings. So be sure before you do anything, make sure your data is backed up to some sort of external media. System restore points are a possibility, but you will see the problem creep back after a while. They are not a guaranteed fix.

Once your data is backed up, I can't stress that enough you will need :

- The recovery disks that came with your system, or ones you've made yourself. If you do not have recovery disks, do not panic. Your system might have it built into a portion of the hard drive. You will be able to tell if you have an F11 recovery option when you first boot into the black screen past the BIOS. Usually where the manufacturers name appears e.g Dell, HP etc.

-Make sure you have all the programs disks nearby as you will need to reinstall whatever was lost. If you have recovery disks you made yourself, then your programs will be imaged onto the disks and you won't need this step.

-Any additional driver disks for printers, wireless cards or anything else that you installed post purchasing the PC. These will all need to be reinstalled.

This will also depend on what operating system you have also, but when performing the recovery, in XP you will actually format that active partition. In Vista, this is in the advanced options and is called 'destructive recovery'. Once you initiate this process, you cannot go back, your hard disk is going to be wiped completely and put back to factory settings.

Then it's a matter of following on screen instructions and reinstalling your stuff/ moving your files back over.

Hope that helps, if you need more help PM me. I do this every day for work, so I'm happy to give out free tech work.

More information would be needed to accurately guess your problem. The Windows OS and programs are such trash that they practically destroy themselves through installs and use, so a routine reformat would be good. A program not responding is completely normal after a while of using the computer.

How many anti-viruses do you have?

- The recovery disks that came with your system, or ones you've made yourself.
Got 'em. They're in a safe place.

Any additional driver disks for printers, wireless cards or anything else that you installed post purchasing the PC. These will all need to be reinstalled.
I know, I also have them stored away.

Hope that helps, if you need more help PM me. I do this every day for work, so I'm happy to give out free tech work.
I'll deffinately PM you if I need anymore helo.

I really hope that it's just a file or something like that and not a physical problem.

Btw, can you post a download link for "Auslogics"?

Thank you for the help, Britannicus, you are a bloody life saver!

-Pony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back