Help my computer has a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbio555

Hello... Well, as the title suggests, my computer got a virus this morning. I was torrenting (I know, it's my own fault) an album, and some phony "Microsoft security" window popped up, telling me I had a virus. It then proceeded to suggest to me several programs I could download to rid myself of said virus. Needless to say, I ignored it, and tried using my antivirus program (Rogers Antivirus) to no avail. When scanning, it detects the virus, but when I try to open the report to delete it, the report won't open.

On top of that, the virus makes it such that I can't open many programs, including firefox. For some reason, however, it hasn't carried over to the rest of the accounts on the computer (as far as I know) and I can still use chrome on my dad's account.

Worse, I tried downloading avast, seeing as all my friends recommended it, but as soon as it was done installing, the computer shut down, and when it started up again, the trial was "over".

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Dang, that is what i hate about virus'. They hit you so your antivirus is not able to help at all, and also, try not to get on your dads account. It could possibly spread onto it.

The only real solution to a computer virus is re-installing your OS, because you don't know what else that thing has done (and thus can't reverse it). But try not to carry the virus over into the next installation with your personal files.

That's one of the more damaging PC viruses out there I have to agree with Ventrue move your files that you want to keep over to a flash drive run a virus scan on the flash before ejecting it, then re-install your OS.

Hello im a school technitian and this is one of the more commen ones that student show up with
i recomend taking nintendudes advice and creating a backup of the stuff you want/need to keep scan the backup on the current computer
reinstall an os and before you put back all that youve backed up re scan it the back up
unfortunately there isnt much else that can be done with this virus in particular

I and a couple of friends had similar, restart in safe-mode then your antivirus software will be able to run and should pick it up, hit it with a spyware checker as well to be sure :)

I and a couple of friends had similar, restart in safe-mode then your antivirus software will be able to run and should pick it up, hit it with a spyware checker as well to be sure :)

And what happens to all the backdoors the virus may have opened? No AV-software will ever find, let alone close, these, so your computer may be wide open to further attack without you knowing it.

By the way: Liq is right. Try Amazon for cheap music. Illegal downloading is like recasting somebody else's costume!

I recomend you get the freeware Spybot: Search and Destroy. It is what i used to get rid of XP Antivirus 2010 couple of months ago.

And what happens to all the backdoors the virus may have opened? No AV-software will ever find, let alone close, these, so your computer may be wide open to further attack without you knowing it.QUOTE]

I had the same things months ago, removed it the way I advised and have had absolutely no issues since. If you have a halfway decent firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware software and run them regularly you're fine.

Do you reformat your PC every single time you get any virus?

I had the same things months ago, removed it the way I advised and have had absolutely no issues since. If you have a halfway decent firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware software and run them regularly you're fine.

Do you reformat your PC every single time you get any virus?

Yes I do, but I have had like one virus in ten years, because I don't download stuff from fishy sources ;-)

You may be lucky with your method and solve the problem, but you may just as well not be.

Yes I do, but I have had like one virus in ten years, because I don't download stuff from fishy sources ;-)

You may be lucky with your method and solve the problem, but you may just as well not be.

And I don't download from fishy sources either, you can however get them from code embedded into sites like facebook, Twitter etc.

I wasn't "lucky", I checked online and found others with the same issue, found sites dedicated to removing viruses and checked for known solutions.

I hate those viruses, I have gotten them several times. The way around it is to download CCleaner, install it, then on the icon, right click and click run as admin. It may take a few trys. after that run all your anitviruses the same way, right click and select run as admin. After a few runs it should be out. But one way to make sure is to do a system restore to a later date.

im afraid that this virus MAY be related to the 405th (i dont mean staff or adam ect.). every computer that ive used is completly clean UNTIL i access the 405th. i really hope that no-one is uploading viruses to certain pages or pep files. again im not saying its the 405ths fault (ex. individual members that are out to get us) but that it might be the source considering that the same virus attacked THREE of my computers and the 405th is the ONLY thing that they had in common. keep your software up to date and keep backup files ready.

im afraid that this virus MAY be related to the 405th (i dont mean staff or adam ect.). every computer that ive used is completly clean UNTIL i access the 405th. i really hope that no-one is uploading viruses to certain pages or pep files. again im not saying its the 405ths fault (ex. individual members that are out to get us) but that it might be the source considering that the same virus attacked THREE of my computers and the 405th is the ONLY thing that they had in common. keep your software up to date and keep backup files ready.

Interesting.

Would you and bobbio mind posting the names of your viruses?

The virus I got started "acting up" so to speak, pretty much the moment the file started torrenting, so definitely not 405th related. And as far as my virus situation is going, I'm glad to say it's just about dealt with. I managed to perform a scan on my dad's account, quarantine, and delete 14 viruses, and am now able to access all programs normally on my own account. Still scanning regularly to be sure, though.
5DDE7BE2-5707-9E3B-9CB3-8E5A75C6599E

Try Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. Also, if you really want to bring out the big guns, you can try Avira AntiVir bootable CD. You boot from the CD, so the OS isn't loaded at all, and the virus will remain inert, allowing AntiVir to track down the little prick and destroy it.

I agree with the above. Malwarebytes or Spybot search and destroy will remove almost all known viruses. If you're still not sure, take you computer to someone who knows what they're doing (seriously) before moving any files or deleting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back