Comuter Systems For Master Chief Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe no one's said this yet unless there's some new technology that developed for super cheap: but are you intending on buying a solid-state drive? Those things are crazy expensive.. but then again the rest of this build would be.

But anyway, if you plan on mounting a normal hard drive onto your suit, something that's going to wiggle and buckle and get shifted around a lot, chances are the hard drive will eventually rip itself to shreds. Don't have a link, but definitely look into getting a solid-state drive.. if I recall correctly, I think they consume less power too because they don't have as many moving parts so that'll save you a bit on the issue of how to power this system. Good luck!

jareyes said:
if I recall correctly, I think they consume less power too because they don't have as many moving parts so that'll save you a bit on the issue of how to power this system. Good luck!

Yeah that's true. I always thought of getting a cheap netbook with a small solid state drive (SSD) and taking it all apart, and fitting the motherboard and everything into the back of the suit, and having a small LCD screen in the top of the wrist area, because without those glasses it's impossible to focus on something that close without getting a headache

Last edited by a moderator:
KevlarSpartan said:
Im thinking about adding a computer system to my build of the Mk VI suit. Originally i was going to go with this:

- 320GB Portable HDD with either MS-DOS or Windows XP installed

- Simple motherboard, probs just some old ASUS one

- 3.3GHz Processor (Single Core, or Dual-Core is the motherboard supports it)

- Simple Power Box and all the other bits to get it going

- My screen would be a specially shaped LED screen (which would also be the visor)

I was thinking of using real-time cameras as a way of seeing the outside world. But i'd like to know what the rest of the forum thinks about this?

Cheers! :p

Would be perfect for the Eva Helmet variant.

Sithslayer78 said:
Instead of using a laptop or desktop, you could use a think-pad.

http://imall.ntu.edu.sg/pic/Lenovo ThinkPad T60-2.jpg

theyre pretty small and could easily fit into the back of MJOLNIR armor if you can balance the weight on the front.

you might have to give up a bit of processor power though

hey u just give me an idea. I have an old T40 that i previous used for a carpc ..this could work ..

@ Gixxer(FirstPost): I want to add one to my build because i though it would just be plain cool. My projects generally concentrate on the more complex aspect of things, i like cool things essentially.

@ FrostyTheSnowMan: I am actually going to do my first test with the Halo 2 ODST backpack. And because (you're right) computers do get hot, and i simply cannot afford to have airholes (must be waterproof), i thought about using a Thermoelectric Cooler (TEC). They're quite effective, though are less efficient than an actual refridgeration unit.

@ raziel1981: You're probably right, Jorge's armour would be much better suited for something like that, seeing as how there's that massive compartment at the front. Good idea though, which is why i asked the forum and posted this topic in the first place. Kudos' :p

@ Minkyboi: You're right, as FrostyTheSnowMan stated, the computer system will get quite hot indeed. Same reply though, i'll be looking into electric cooling systems.

@ AceHigh: I did actually seriously think about that; having front and back views would just add to the awesomness, but the problem i had though about is this; how would i go about seeing both at once? Wouldn't i have to split the image on the screen to show front and back? If you got any solutions, post em' :p

@ Yayu: Haha, yeah, i thought that by using some sort of 'artificial' vision i would be able to gain more manipulation, such as zoom effects and more clarity. I don't know how long this will all take to do, but i'll keep this post going for the months to come.

@ DreamHazard: Nothing wrong with ideas bro, that's what this topics about! Now that you mention it, a laptop's motherboard would fit quite snuggly into the MKVI, im planning to put it into the back area of it, no pics at this time, right now im at the brainstorming section of things. Im sure that if a used a 10" or less screen like one from a netbook then i would be able to fit it all into the helmet, although as for actually seeing the stuff, well, i'd probably have to get some program which 'demagnifies' everything so i can see. I've never actually used LINUX before, believe it or not, but if it's free to get, then it's definately worth a go. As for zoom effects, the above posts should give you my position on that; it's awesome!

@ SirPalesAlot: Mmmm...as i said above, the laptop MB does seem to be the way to go i guess, and yes, the power issue would slowly fade into extinction. At first i'd probably have to stick with a dodgey screen to get things going, but you're right, once they bring out the awesome flexi-screens then i'll pretty much be set to go. As for the TV glasses, i'd probs have to perma-mount them into the helmet so they dont roll around and whatnot. I'd have to get an internet connection for it, otherwise playing Halo in a MKVI suit won't be enough of a pun. hahaha.

@ Zero Prime: True stuff comrade', im not even gonna go as far as the military, im simply going to have what is essentially "a portable computer without all the bells and whistels", consider it a backyard build in relation to quality. And seriously, if you are going to do something like this, then spread the word because this could be the next big thing for costumer's to do.

@ Trigger: YES!!!! OLED!!!! They be the bomz diggatyz. If i could get a small enough one, id definately use it. And if you or anyone else can give me an overview of LINUX, it would be much appreciated :)

@ JAM Designs: You've brought up some very interesting ideas. I personally think that this entire project is more suited for Iron Man armour, but i though i'd be different. A brain wave control system would outright be the best possible option, but yes, they are quite pricey indeed. I though about servo controllers and stuff like that, but for halo armour, i'd probably have to study a little bit of robotics to gain its full potential. Are you seriously planning on stuff like this for your Iron Man armour??? Cuz that sounds pretty dammed cool :D And as for depth perception, well, that really got me buggered, cuz it's going to be somewhat difficult to hook it up so my view is good.\

@ DreamHazard(SecondPost): You've brought up some good points, im gonna' put your comment on a txt file and save it. Kudos'!

@ Awesomness: Essentially every feed from any outside source is connected to the computer, it will go through the computer to be processed and spat back out to it's respective area; example: camera feeds to the computer, computer processes information and spits image over to helmet display. Essentially. I do plan to have quite a large amount of RAM, probs bout 3GB, even though i might no need it, it's simply there for 'just in case' scenarios. My system will need to be quick and flexible, otherwise, what good would it be? I wouldn't even think about bending any screens myself, i may as well get a magnet to one and i'd get the same effect lol. But those TV glasses you've posted are looking more and more feasible. As for the 'why', essentially it's a test model, i want to have as much flexibility in system to work out bugs, which means alot of space, alot of RAM and a reasonable CPU. As for DOS, well, i used to do some work with it, and found that even though it has major limitations in the 'looks' department, it's the only OS that allows me to configure settings and talk to the disk directly, which is why i briefly considered it, but i only just realised that XP comes with many elements of DOS anyway.

@ bankz5152: As stated above, the HDD space is simply for flexiblity, and one would simply have to 'learn' to live with the video glasses, just like you would learn to use a knife and fork, it simply becomes something you adjust to using i guess.

@ JangoFett140: Tru point, the eyes would simply destroy themselves after repeated exposure to such screen-closeness. That is something i hope to remedy.

@ thatdecade: THIS IS EXACTLY THE TYPE OF THING I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!! excellent work mate! Im going to bookmark that site and read more l8tr. Kudo's +2

@ jareyes: I never actually thought about the HDD stuffing itself. As far as my knowledge goes, solid state drives are quite expensive. But i guess it will now be the only option. Thank you for bringing that up! :)

@ Sithslayer78: I would agree with you on using a thinkpad, but do they have good processing power?? I mean, you say i'd have to give up a bit, but would it be much??

KevlarSpartan said:
@ AceHigh: I did actually seriously think about that; having front and back views would just add to the awesomness, but the problem i had though about is this; how would i go about seeing both at once? Wouldn't i have to split the image on the screen to show front and back? If you got any solutions, post em' :p

I'm thinking picture in picture, something like this example but with your camera feeds:

ctpvr-pip1.gif

The main screen would be your front view while the small square in the top left corner would be your rear view, kind of like having a rear view mirror. It would give you a clear view forwards, while still being able to detect movement and larger objects behind you (all depending on how high resolution you have of course). To top it up you could even have a control to make the rear view temporarily go full screen. If you know your way around computers I don't think it would be that hard to program.

I have given this topic a lot of thought in the past too. My conclusion was augmented reality systems were out because they were too complicated for anyone to duplicate. I ended up looking into building my own custom display from cheap materials.

Revisiting the concept I have an idea. The iphone. Have you seen the augmented reality apps?

Mount the iphone to your armor at chest level with the camera facing forward, then connect a pair of myvu glasses (they were designed for ipods after all). Ta da!! It will be exactly like the in-game camera system. Your weapon is in your line of vision... you have to move your body to move the camera view.... etc

Either way you go (computer OS or whatever), it sounds like you'll have to do some programming. So why not make an iphone camera app that overlays halo HUD artwork? There are plenty apps in the app store already that display an image on the screen overlaying a camera view.

I really like this iphone idea because once we get the halo hud app, it would be easy for average joe to duplicate.

@KevlarSpartan - yes I'm planning on putting this in an Iron Man Armor. The only problem with the brain wave controller is that you have to train it (or does it train you?) and I'm sure if you were at a Con or out with buddies having a few drinks the brain wave controller would be thrown outta wack! In my situation I could see it mistaking "open faceplate" command as "turn on mini gun or fire (airsoft) arm cannons" :eek

As Far as Augmented reality.. ya might want to start here http://www.hitl.washington.edu/artoolkit/ . There are some other resources available as well. The iPhone would be a good solution and might be cheaper, but I think the full functionality, accessories and options of a Full PC would be better then an iPhone..

Another cheaper option would be a Playstation Portable and there is a camera that is available for it as well.. and they already have a augmented reality game for it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invizimals , so augmented reality on this would be possible as well. Granted you would have to hack the PSP and write the code for the augmentation but with a majority of major programming languages available (Ruby, LUA, and many others) to do this in it shouldn't be that hard (granted you know some programming).

Being able to switch on the helmet lights or make the overshield sounds being regenerated would be a cool thing to do, but once again that would be a brain wave controller thing (at least with out using buttons/switches).

Just my .02

Cheers,

-Jay

Computer stuff, I feel right at home.... er work... god I work too much overtime :(. Any way I would hands down without a doubt no questions asked go with a netbook. Small formfacter, low power usage and a built in vga out. They can come with rather small ssd which if your serious about using it in a costume I would use. That headset from the link looks like it would work well and for controls I would use a thumb stick like device and attach it to your dominate hand or integrate it into your arm/hand plate. As crazy as this sounds I have seen similar things done. Now if you want to get crazy you can get your hands on an old Nintendo Powerglove and use glovepie to make a custome input driver to control the mouse.

However if you just want simple things like a "range finder" take a look at diy robotics kits. A couple of ultrasonic 30 degree ranger finders, a Arduino, and a led board would get you that but you would need to write/download the program to the arduino (really easy).

One thing to remember, if you are doing this in a Mark 4/5/6 armor anything glowing inside your face mask can make your face visable so a dim screen or and eye seal is a must.

KevlarSpartan said:
@ Sithslayer78: I would agree with you on using a thinkpad, but do they have good processing power?? I mean, you say i'd have to give up a bit, but would it be much??

well the premise im operating on is that you plan on fitting this inside of a normal MJOLNIR suit. if so, what need do you really have for 3.3ghz anyways? with that space, you probably wont have much graphics, CD, or networking ability, not to mention an applicable power source. anyways, thinkpads can come with around 2.2 - 2.8ish GHZ processors.

@ AceHigh: I understand what you mean now. That small screen would be the way to go with things, unless someone just happens to come up with a better idea. The resolution for the rear screen won't need to be too higher resolution, i'd essentially use it as a early warning system; if there's any movement, then i could turn around to get a better look with the front view cameras. The programming shouldn't be too difficult, but i won't even bother to use anything like VB, i'd probs have to go with C++ or perhaps C# for optimization purposes.

@ thatdecade: You've posted quite a good idea, and have given me another one in the process; if i we're able to programm a HALO HUD app for the iphone, then i might be able to couple it with the front & back view cameras to provide, what is essentially, a DIY HUD system, though of course, not as good as any military application, it would still be cool. It's true what you've said, my weapon will be my line of vision, and considering the cameras and stuff will give me an upper hand in the clarity-of-sight and zoom department, i'd say adding to that (with an iphone) would bring this project straight up to i-think-i-just-creamed-myself level. Kudos'!

@ JAM Designs: Haha, well that's usually why Tony Stark put an AI in his suit, so he wouldn't get drunk and destroy the universe. A full pc would be a good option for full fucntionality, but i really don't want to be writing an enitre HUD app from scratch! At least not at first, that would come later with the alpha models, right now, it's pre-beta. hahah.

@ Gremlin117: Mmmm...the SSD is the way to go, as Jareyes pointed out to me. But a nintendo powerglove??? That's gotta be ancient. But if you think it would work then i suppose i should give it a go. The glowing inside the suit is going to be somewhat of a problem; not only do i want to seal it up so that no light escapes, but i need it to be able to release any heat built up inside. I've thought of using some Thermoelectric Devices to cool things down, but i don't know how efficient that would be, because when moving around, i might create more heat than the TEC's can pump out. But yes, it will be sealed nonetheless, i was also thinking about tinting for the visor.

@ Sithslayer78: A good point, the reason i would need such extreme computing power would pretty much be for the HUD system. But 2.8GHz would be enough to power that, especially with the amount of RAM i want. Gremlin117 suggested (or more insisted) i go with the netbook, any difference between that and a thinkpad??? I've really only been looking into the feasibility of this project rather than the specs at the moment.

^^^^^^^DOUBLE POST^^^^^^^ btw the powerglove is acient but there are similar products available. Heck there is even 2 diy bend sensors builds on instructables. I would personally go with the mini thumb stick in the glove (think Rocketeer rocket... button). One piece of advice for some easy "extras" get a usb number pad or hack a keyboard. Then get a reed type relay and connect them to the key pad. Now glue a little bitty neodymium magnet on one of your finger.

The magnet will trip the relay simulating a button press. I've done this to a few stormtrooper helmets to activate the internal radio and kill the voice amp, it seems to work rather well.

Finally one word of advice. If you haven't built your armor yet don't go worrying about this stuff as it amounts to very little until you can see what kind of space your dealing with. Once you have your suit properly fitted and padded and modified for comfort (people say they never will but after a few hours in a suit everyone modifies, comfort 1st) you will be surprised by the lack of room.

KevlarSpartan said:
@ Gremlin117 suggested (or more insisted) i go with the netbook, any difference between that and a thinkpad??? I've really only been looking into the feasibility of this project rather than the specs at the moment.

haha I'd trust him. he seems to know his way around, and built in VGA is pretty tough to beat. I only suggested a thinkpad for size reasons anyways. He seems to have covered that though. although the processor power seems to be cut in half, i'm sure you don't need too much to run a simple HUD anyways. Best of luck! :)

Gremlin117 said:
^^^^^^^DOUBLE POST^^^^^^^ btw the powerglove is acient but there are similar products available. Heck there is even 2 diy bend sensors builds on instructables. I would personally go with the mini thumb stick in the glove (think Rocketeer rocket... button). One piece of advice for some easy "extras" get a usb number pad or hack a keyboard. Then get a reed type relay and connect them to the key pad. Now glue a little bitty neodymium magnet on one of your finger.

The magnet will trip the relay simulating a button press. I've done this to a few stormtrooper helmets to activate the internal radio and kill the voice amp, it seems to work rather well.

Finally one word of advice. If you haven't built your armor yet don't go worrying about this stuff as it amounts to very little until you can see what kind of space your dealing with. Once you have your suit properly fitted and padded and modified for comfort (people say they never will but after a few hours in a suit everyone modifies, comfort 1st) you will be surprised by the lack of room.

I don't mean to sound like an *******: But i think i have the right to double post on my own topic. Dont worry though, i wont make a habbit of it :D

Anyway, yes, that powerglove would definately be good for any prototype i make, but the use of neodymium magnets?? That must get expensive. I don't know about prices in the US of A but here in Australia you'd be lucky to find any rare-earth items at a bargain price, i'll consider it though, after all, this build is gonna set me back a fair amount, but im going to budget things well so i dont run out of money! I could only imagine the little amount of space there would be in the suit, considering i need some back space so i can lean over and whatnot, nevertheless, everything will end up having to be a tight, solid, comfortable fit. I dont wann risk any ball-chaffing (LOL), but yeah, im sure you get the point. I was going to find one of those "roll-up" USB keyboards so i could use that if im "out on the field" persay and need to do some serious typing. But im going to limit (if not eliminate) the need for a keyboard to get around my suit's PC Operating System.

Cheers! :p

The cheapest SSD drive set up i have seen uses a slick little adapter to mate a compact flash to a hard drive plug in. http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/ There you can check out a couple of machines they have built like that, even got the guys personal homebuilt, fanless and quiet. Just another place to look and dig up ideas, i have toyed with mini pc stuff for a while, not for a heads up but for other stuff.

KevlarSpartan said:
Anyway, yes, that powerglove would definately be good for any prototype i make, but the use of neodymium magnets?? That must get expensive. I don't know about prices in the US of A but here in Australia you'd be lucky to find any rare-earth items at a bargain price, i'll consider it though, after all, this build is gonna set me back a fair amount, but im going to budget things well so i dont run out of money!

Rare earth magnets aren't actually made from particularly rare materials. The name is misleading. They are made from materials that exhibit rare magnetic properties, so they aren't really very expensive. I'm sure WikiPedia has an article on them, if you're interested.

Awesomeness said:
Rare earth magnets aren't actually made from particularly rare materials. The name is misleading. They are made from materials that exhibit rare magnetic properties, so they aren't really very expensive. I'm sure WikiPedia has an article on them, if you're interested.

Yes, the name would be misleading. But im sure that when compared to other materials found on earth, it would be somewhat rare, am i right? Im sure they aren't very expensive in America, but Australian markets tend to jack up the price quite a bit, and rightly so, considering our dollar is about 10c - 20c lower than yours. I checked out the article, very informative, but for my purposes (and becauce im an aboslute dickwad when it comes to complexity), i'll have to model up some sweet-as circut schematics, but im thinking mostly digital and not analogue, although it would be harder to fix, what do you think???

To be totally honest, I still have no idea what you are planning. Lots of other people have given ideas about what they would do, but all you said was that you wanted to put a computer in your suit, listed some specs, and said that goggles would help.

What do you want your computer to do? What would your circuit schematics do? What software are you wanting to run? Are you planning to write additional software?

As for the magnets, they are like $1 in the US, and can be salvaged from lots of things (e.g. old HDDs, powerful refrigerator magnets, etc.). So even if things are way more expensive in Australia, they are probably still only like $3. It doesn't matter though, if you don't want to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back