Conventions and Props and what not. Just a few ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusak3

Member DIN
S474
So After 5 years of doing conventions. After HOD this summer and many things I have a few ramblings about props and what not.

Photo booths. Love them. The people love them. They love holding our props. Result to many times Broken props and upset 405th members.
Okay so what we going to do about it. I know this weekend at T2C2 also at outpost and every con I have ever been at we have a few broken props every time because of fan handling. So my immediate thought was and suggestion to the rest of us present we as a group here in Colonial need to make foam weapons to have as props for the fans to hold when they are doing pictures with us. And that we need to keep our personal delicate props in our hot little hands and away from the photo booth area if you are running one. So what I am saying is if you are planning to run a photo op situation at an event you may want to think about making some foam props that you dont care if they get beat up by the masses. So think about it when your making some goodies with some foam next time. Kick out a pistol or an smg or something that you can take along to your local show to use as a family safe prop for photo's

Props other than your own. If its not yours ask permission before you touch it and treat it with more respect then you treat your own props. Again another I have seen time and time again. I will call us the center core of colonial here in PA in NY. No insult intended to the rest of colonial so please dont get upset. We are a bit of a dysfunctional family and we get enthusiastic to see each other and the new toys that each of us have made since we last got together. Please remember to ask permission before you pick it up. Before you take it for a patrol on the con floor. If your manning a table make sure you know what props are safe to hand to people. Which ones no one wants handled. I would suggest if its not to be handled and you dont have it in your hands to put it away out of site. People like to just grab especially the little people.. Just because blanket permission is given at the beginning of an event ask every time. Believe me nothing is worse than person x needs to go home and he is trying to pack up and there is still most a days worth of con to go and trying to figure out who has the MA5C that X knows they brought but has no clue who took it for a patrol on the con floor.

Helmets and head covers. This is one that comes from having to deal with this situation many years ago with my daughter. HEAD LICE SUCK. My daughter once had long long beautiful hair. What do you think it does to a very young girls self image when she goes from beautiful long hair to shaved down like a boot marine because you cant get the head lice stopped. I cannot stress enough do not do not leave your helmets and soft hats just laying about so someone can pick it up and put it on. Put those buckets away if they are not containing your mellon. I dont care how determined you are to not have anyone put your bucket on. How determined the rest of your group is. Your helmet if left sitting will be on someone else head by the end of an event if you let it sitting. And now you are courting creepy crawlies. You are courting spreading those critters to everyone who picks up your bucket and puts it on with or without permission.

So you made it this far through the wall of text. Yes you just had an insights and ramblings of a grumpy old Convention Dad who spends way to much of his time trying to make sure his adopted 405th children are safe while they enjoy the convention. Now I am old my thoughts are now scrambled and I need sleep. Be safe all of you have fun. Enjoy the company of your 405th family. And remember stay hydrated you young pups.

Unfortunately, just knowing who took which prop doesn't solve the issue of finding that person among the crowd. Unless they leave a cell number.

As far as lice go....there is no disinfecting spray that will kill lice on contact like a Lysol spay killing 99.99 percent of germs. They are a hearty bug and it takes a lot to kill them. Even non hair items like stuffed toys and kids car seats/boosters need about 2 weeks sealed in a plastic bag to suffocate/kill them and then they can get washed out. Its your prerogative to let someone try on a helmet......

I do like the idea of having drop-friendly props to give to people for photo ops. They won't feel bad if the drop them.....if they care at all......but if its the only weapon you have........just use your judgement and tell the person to be careful. Your allowed. its yours.

Unfortunately, just knowing who took which prop doesn't solve the issue of finding that person among the crowd. Unless they leave a cell number.

As far as lice go....there is no disinfecting spray that will kill lice on contact like a Lysol spay killing 99.99 percent of germs. They are a hearty bug and it takes a lot to kill them. Even non hair items like stuffed toys and kids car seats/boosters need about 2 weeks sealed in a plastic bag to suffocate/kill them and then they can get washed out. Its your prerogative to let someone try on a helmet......

I do like the idea of having drop-friendly props to give to people for photo ops. They won't feel bad if the drop them.....if they care at all......but if its the only weapon you have........just use your judgement and tell the person to be careful. Your allowed. its yours.
You would be correct on the silly bugs.

I myself am seeing more and more that people dont care when they break something. Which for me myself makes me more and more disinclined to leave my items out for anyone to handle. Not going to loose sleep if a foam item gets dropped. But things like my BR and helmet are a pretty sure route to get me mad. And even if it is something I made for someone else is a pretty sure method to get me really annoyed.

So that is why I myself made the suggestion when folks are making things to think about knocking out some family friendly foam props.

You would be correct on the silly bugs.

I myself am seeing more and more that people dont care when they break something. Which for me myself makes me more and more disinclined to leave my items out for anyone to handle. Not going to loose sleep if a foam item gets dropped. But things like my BR and helmet are a pretty sure route to get me mad. And even if it is something I made for someone else is a pretty sure method to get me really annoyed.

So that is why I myself made the suggestion when folks are making things to think about knocking out some family friendly foam props.
I've started making prototypes as the "good enough" props that can go onto the communal prop rack and then having the nicer ones that received dozens of hours of finishing work as the patrol props that sit on a display table or go out to photoshoots when I'm there and can keep an eye on them. Having a kid dive into the prop weapon rack to hug several rifles at once and snapping an M45 made me a bit more cautious.

Guys photo opp weapons and the care of them i think is a great topic for discussion overall, especially if Outpost does continue this will need to be addressed. I agree that if we can somehow have a set that can travel with the booth etc it would be far more useful for the public and our members to not have anxiety worrying about their personal props. Not to say that even these won't need to be attended to so they do not grow legs.

Great subject across the board to discuss and ALSO no one wears HAMMERS bucket!!!! If it gets worn I will have to fire the Halo array to cleanse it!

well to be honest I think there is a lot of us around that would hug an m45 like a plushie toy. I know how many hours I can spend sitting cradling my suppressed BR55. face it none of us are exactly correct in the head.

But honestly Asgardianhammer when they announce the next oupost series Ashuraa and I would be more than interested in doing a few props to travel with the super container.

And if you fire the Halo array without proper notice you will leave me no option but to remove you from the christmas card list out of pure annoyance of you destroying my source of earth coffee

But honestly Asgardianhammer when they announce the next oupost series Ashuraa and I would be more than interested in doing a few props to travel with the super container.
Same here. At current capacity I can print an M6 in under a day and an MA37 in under three so I could definitely solo a prop rack in a month if we wanted. Get some Delta Battalion sanding team together and it'd be even faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back