Councilor Helmet Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFDesigns

Got to playing around with this helmet and decided that it needed to be built. It's basically a standard elite helmet with some modifications grafted on to it. Anyways, here it is in its pepakura stage.

DSC01677.jpg

DSC01678.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

The tape across the two face plates is there for support as is the piece of cardboard near the top. They'll get removed once the fiberglassing is complete.

I still need to put on the minor sails but I think I might have to fiberglass the base helmet first and then stick the sails on and continue from there as this thing is big and surprisingly unwieldly in paper form (Pictures really can't capture the scale of it, it's about 609 mm wide across the main sail and almost 1 meter tall). Might even let Soaring Hammer have a go at this one when I get done if Dave feels up to making a mold of and casting something in this massive size.

I'll be doing the Honor Guard Helmet when I got done with this one!

Whachu guys think?

nice work bfdesigns
cant wait to see the final result
if you need reference pics for the honour guard then just shoot me a pm as i have quite a few running around
keep it up

i always look foreward to your work boyo, you never cease to impress me. are you going to end up building a head to mount on a plack, like some big game hunter?

dmage dame said:
i always look foreward to your work boyo, you never cease to impress me. are you going to end up building a head to mount on a plack, like some big game hunter?

I might have to. I've got a Pep file of an elite's head & neck so I can do that one and bondo over it to make it look real enough to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
On to the hardening stage, I took the sail off so that it would make it a bit easier to maneuver (in hindsight that probably wasn't necessary) and thought that I'd try using something different for the outside instead of resin this time; Spray-on Truck Bed Liner. I know there's been some threads about using it before so I finally decided to try it out and was very pleased with what happened. As far as I'm concerned this stuff is Spray-On God!

DSC01682.jpg

DSC01683.jpg

Everyone should use this product. If your parents won't let you use resin, then pick up a $10 can of this stuff at Autozone and go nuts with it, about 3-4 coats works perfectly for an outer coating and is comparable to 2 coats of resin. It dries super fast and gives you a really awesome beaten metal texture to boot. And it's solid enough that I can cut the helmet open and start fiberglassing it which will be really handy due to the fact that the two ear fixtures are not flat panels like the face guard and sails; they're actually thin, hollow structures. I don't have access to SmoothOn products for this build (Financial Reasons) so I'm gonna have to try something a bit different to get down into them, I might have some Kevlar that I can shred up into a pulp and mix into a paste with the resin and drop it in.

P.S.: If you do use this Bed Liner stuff make sure that you wear a respirator. The ketones in it will give you a major headache if you don't I learned that the hard way about halfway through spraying it.

That. Is. Sexy. lol Can't wait to see it finished!

Bed liner really is amazing stuff. I remember seeing this show years ago.

Eventually they coated the inside and outside of a small building and used explosives in a car to see if it would stay standing, and it did. Only problem were the windows.

Guess your helmet will be bomb-proof. lol

Hey BF Designs where did you pick up your bed liner from in AutoZone? As i can't seem to find it. I can find roll on kits but i can't seem to find any spray on ones. As well Rhino and L something X produce spray on liners but i can't find a Dealer in the UK so maybe if i send you money? you could get me a couple of cans etc and i will pay price + P&P + labour of going to get them :) so you make some profit. As i dont think Autozone Export to UK.

Regards

Venom.

well dropped by again today and found this build. Looking great man! And that spray-on liner might be something that I need to check out. Also loving that texture that it gives the outside of the piece. I was thinking of using that stone-textured spray paint as a base for texturing parts but I love that finish you have there.

Phil

SherryShortcake said:
Guess your helmet will be bomb-proof. lol

Awesome! I think i'm gonna do the kevlar pulp idea to fill the sides so it'll be partially bullet resistant as well!

Venom_Di_Lemon said:
Hey BF Designs where did you pick up your bed liner from in AutoZone? As i can't seem to find it. I can find roll on kits but i can't seem to find any spray on ones. As well Rhino and L something X produce spray on liners but i can't find a Dealer in the UK so maybe if i send you money? you could get me a couple of cans etc and i will pay price + P&P + labour of going to get them :) so you make some profit. As i dont think Autozone Export to UK.

Regards

Venom.

It's this stuff here:
dsc02923.jpg

Look really hard and you should be able to find it. The only reason why I'd be hesitant to do the export thing is because it's propellant based and generally explosive near any heat source so it would probably have to be shipped on a container ship and would also probably get stuck in customs due to it having a hazardous materials sticker put on it (USPS would do that). Also it would cost an ungodly amount to ship in the first place. There should be something real similar in the UK, not that many people drive pickups there but there should be something to line cargo trucks and so forth in spray form.

Skyfox said:
dude if you could cast that it would be hella yea!

I want to eventually but there are some pretty good sized problems that would go along with casting this helmet. Also, I don't have the money to get as much as I need to cast this one, but Soaring Hammer can have a go at it if they want to try it out.

Robby said:
Very nice sir! Heh, do you think it will be able to sit on your head right?

I'll see if I can get a shot of me wearing it. The side protecters grip the head pretty well so it sits nicely as long as you can find the center of balance. The only thing that will throw anyone off on this build is how high the helmet comes off your head when you're wearing it.

xenorogue said:
well dropped by again today and found this build. Looking great man! And that spray-on liner might be something that I need to check out. Also loving that texture that it gives the outside of the piece. I was thinking of using that stone-textured spray paint as a base for texturing parts but I love that finish you have there.

Phil

It's kind of a dope heavy orange peel texture which gives kind of a rough oxidized aluminum cast look to it. The Fleck-Stone stuff might work really well in weatered areas though as an undercoat, better than mustard & ranch even.

Harding29 said:
sweet built

Thankx :D

BFDesigns said:
I want to eventually but there are some pretty good sized problems that would go along with casting this helmet. Also, I don't have the money to get as much as I need to cast this one, but Soaring Hammer can have a go at it if they want to try it out.

I'll see if I can get a shot of me wearing it. The side protecters grip the head pretty well so it sits nicely as long as you can find the center of balance. The only thing that will throw anyone off on this build is how high the helmet comes off your head when you're wearing it.

Well luckly since its a bed liner, I don't think you'll have to worry that it'll break or crack as easily as a resin, as far as wearing it you could always put a chin strap on it to help with support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back