Cpl Shepard's ODST build + H3 Marine set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpl Shepard

It's been a long time coming, and I've still got more issues to sort out and possibly repaint places, but here's my overhaul on my ODST set.
The kit's originally a Sean Bradley work, and the base I used for the torso is an airsoft 'Matrix SDEU Tac Vest,' that's been modified to better hold the ODST plating and shoulder pauldrons. I cut and sew shut some of the bottom of the vest off to make bending at the waist easier, and the collar was cut down in lieu of the neckseal, which I made off plans from our collegues at the 501st. [http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8402-howto-create-a-neckseal/]

001.png 002.png

The decals covering the armor are a placeholder, and a combination of H3/ODST/Reach assets, I'll be re-doing the weathering effects and basecoat since the grey is too light for steel drybrushing to show up. Once that's done I'll cut the decals out and paint the lettering in proper. The helmet was a bit more tricky, but a combination of replacement helmet padding and an old motorcycle interior had it fit nicely, while I mounted a G&G silent fan(for airsoft goggles) just at the brow line to keep the visor de-fogged, and used a cheap dust mask over the chin and nose area to keep breathing from fogging the visor.

003.png 004.png

An airsoft belt and thigh rig was helpful in securing the hip plates and the waistline, which is very comfy as it stands, although I'm going to have to redo the kneepads, and unfortunately I made a gaffe and assembled the shin plates upside down. Yeah, yeah, laugh it up. I'm using a set of black BDUs for the undersuit for the moment, but I'm eventually going to spring for a morphsuit and start on the felt/foam gluing and sewing to make a proper ODST vacuum suit. The overheating issue is kind of irritating, but there was a thread where one poster suggested a sort of heatsink and fan apparatus over the wrists to keep blood cool as it circulates, and since the armlets have a sort of vent design on them I might attempt incorporating it with a picture tutorial if I get around to it. I do want to eventually install one of those electronic voice changers in the helmet like the 501st guys use for that "VOX" sound everyone's familiar with.

005.png 006.png

The MA5C is courtesy of Branfuhr Studios, although I'm still working on my own SPnKr launcher and an M90 CAWS, but it's slow going. I've finished my own cheap vacuum table and heating box, so I'm putting together funds for some balsa wood, clay, and thermoform plastic to get my own projects going. Hopefully I'll have some more original works to showcase later on, but for now here's what I've got thus far. Also included(though still behind and needing work), is my friend modelling the H3 Marine set courtesy of Protagonist4Hire's excellent work. I've got to overhaul the mounting solutions entirely, and find a better way to paint ABS plastic, but otherwise it's not half bad. The helmet is sourced from Etsy, with a mirrored gold motorcycle visor cut to fit. (Censored for OPSEC, lol)

007m.png

001.png

002.png

003.png

004.png

005.png

006.png

007m.png

Awesome looking kits! I'm building a H3 marine set as well and I was looking for a good visor for the helmet, might have to look at getting a motorcycle one. Did you purchase the armor as a raw set?

Awesome looking kits! I'm building a H3 marine set as well and I was looking for a good visor for the helmet, might have to look at getting a motorcycle one. Did you purchase the armor as a raw set?
Both were raw kits, it was a little harder working with the Marine set since it was made with ABS, which has some texture to it that makes the usual weathering/drybrushing not show up as well. I'd recommend finding a slightly more orange mirrored visor to match the in-game model, but the gold I used works well enough.

Beautiful and clean finish Cpl Shepard!

A bit too clean for my liking, I'd like to introduce some proper weathering but the base color's a bit too bright for the job, I'll see what I can do in the future.

Thanks again guys. I've got a few issues to hammer out with movement and padding, but otherwise it fits well enough to run in, as long as it's not blistering sunshine outside. I think I'm going to look into holding icepacks in the arm guards to keep the blood flowing through the wrist cool, overall the body temp might be lowered but it won't be as dangerous as keeping too much ice around the back, which I've heard can cause problems. Once I start work on the undersuit proper, I'll make sure to use a mech for the under arms and other strategic places to cut down on over heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back