Crossfires Pep Helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty badass for how basic it is, gratz. I like how you took the texture of the armour into consideration, I'm probably going to use the same stuff to add both strength and texture.

Heres a tutorial of how to make the helmet the way I did.
1) glue together your pep model. Add detail like side pieces: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/gam...17/pephelm5.jpg and brim pieces: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/gam...17/pephelm7.jpg
2) gather cardboard from packing boxes and also thin cardboard from cereal boxes. Glue them to the inside so there is about a 1/2"-1 inch gap in between 2 pieces. Foam board can also be used, but is very hard to work with.
Coat the inside with hot glue by:
A: Melting mass amounts of hot glue like frost said and using brushes to layer the inside.
or B: taking a hot glue gun and soldering gun. shooting hot glue inbetween gaps, and smoothing
out using a soldering gun. (my way)
example:
PEPHELM4.jpg

3) after applying to the entire inside: go back and re-enforce weaker areas. Do this by spreading the hot glue in layers.
Try to coat over the cardboard so it becomes water proof.
4) Go to the automotive section at your local walmart and buy bondo spot putty, truck bed coating, and plastic spreaders. (primer if you don't have any)
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/gam...ruckcoating.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/gam...7/spotputty.jpg
5) Spray one solid coat of primer on the out side to bring out any imperfections.
6) Take your spot putty and plastic spreaders and apply a thick coat to any imperfections or areas you want to smooth on the out side. Squeeze a good amount out and spread it around w/ the plastic spreaders.
NOTE: You do not have to coat the entire helmet. You need to wear a respirator. The putty WILL crack.
7) Wait for it to dry and then sand with 200-400grit sand paper. It was about 50 degrees every day I worked so, I had to wait 24hrs for the putty to dry.
8) Once dry take the putty and fill the holes and try to make cracks smaller. Then sand again.
Depending on how the helmet looks; spray a coat of primer on. If you still find imperfections repeat steps 6 & 7. Small cracks and holes are ok. The truck bed liner will fill them.
glazed02.jpg

9) Take your truck bed liner and shake it up for a good amount of time. Spray a solid coat on to the helmet. I waited 30min-1hr for it to dry. After the first coat is dry, spray thin coats every 30 minutes or so. Focus on cracks and holes until they are gone.
helmblk02.jpg

10)Once you are happy with your helmet and texture, you are ready to start the final paint job.
Tape off any areas you want to keep black. ex: side detail, under brim detail, nose area, etc. Use masking tape.
11) I used the same color of oregano that Adam used on his armor. Spray 2-3 coats.
painted1.jpg

12) Take off the masking tape. If you taped it properly the paint should not have gotten to the black areas.
I did not so I had to go back w/ model paint and fix the mess ups.
fullpaint01.jpg

Thats all for now. I just need to add a visor, padding, and finish my lights.

Good luck
PM me for any questions

You did an awsome job on this! Im going to try out the smooth helm for my pep suit. How long did it take to glue the entire inside? how many glue sticks?

I really like how it turned out with the truck bed liner, I think I mihgt use it on mine ;)

i used about 5-10 i think glue sticks to glue the cardboard in.
and 1 bag of 50 small glue sticks to coat the inside once.

you only spread hot glue on the inside for support. you spread putty on the out side for smoothing areas. I used a soldering iron to smooth the hot glue and once its fully dry its almost solid

You can but i left it the way it is

UPDATE:
Wired LEDs together.
Still need to find a way to mount the battery and lights securely
leds01.jpg

led02.jpg

Great, Great job. And look how much you probably spent!

This is a great example to all the noobs that say.

"can sumone plz mak me a helmet cause i got no money and my parents won't let me use the fiberglassing"

Kudos!

Cardstock: Got it from Dad's Office: $0
Hot glue (~5 bags): $10-$12
Cardboard: Found in house: $0
Primer:(Grey) ~$4
Spot Putty: $3
Plastic spreaders: ~$1.50
Truck Bed liner ~$6
Oregano Spray Paint ~$4

So about $30. And you dont buy it all at once unless you want to. And on top of that its all non toxic. Unless you count the spraying
I found The oregano at home depot. I think it was called American Accents or Painters touch by Rust Oleam,

Crossfire said:
Cardstock: Got it from Dad's Office: $0
Hot glue (~5 bags): $10-$12
Cardboard: Found in house: $0
Primer:(Grey) ~$4
Spot Putty: $3
Plastic spreaders: ~$1.50
Truck Bed liner ~$6
Oregano Spray Paint ~$4

So about $30. And you dont buy it all at once unless you want to. And on top of that its all non toxic. Unless you count the spraying
I found The oregano at home depot. I think it was called American Accents or Painters touch by Rust Oleam,

not bad fiberglass is like 20 just for the stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-bumping.

After 'glueing' the inside, is resin on the outside still needed? Or do you just apply putty and sand that into shape?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: i messed up i wish i saw this before i started.... ive used up abought of 500 peices of card stock and all my things are basicly trash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back