Custom Reach Spartan (+MA5C Assault Rifle[ONGOING]) *WIP, PIC HEAVY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
love the tread and the diy work your putting in! looking forward to seeing more :D
As long as you keep an eye on this thread, you WILL see more! :)

I forgot to mention,the templates for the shoulder WERE NOT scratch built! I really suck at scratch building. I can pretty much only scratch build firearms and melee weapons. I will soon be scratch building the Halo 4 Combat Knife. pics of the template I drew from a few reference pictures are in an earlier post.
The shoulder is modeled and Unfolded by Monkeyfuj, and is edited for foam by Coolc.

Hey there Guys/Girls/Other(s)! Unfortunately I really don't have a ton of progress for you today. I managed to only get my first Shoulder cut out since my last update, Due to screwing around with Pepakura Designer, converting files from pep to foam.

Here are the latest Progress Pics!

The Templates. Cut Out And Separated.
2014-04-11%2007.37.09_zpsw5d4ha7d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Templates. Cut Out and [Somewhat] Well Spaced Apart.
2014-04-11%2007.37.47_zpsfkzd8o8w.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As my activities tend to change and such, i have not a clue what will be in my next update.
Feel free to comment with Suggestions and/or Conductive Criticism.

Have a great day, my fellow 405th members. :)

::/ TRANSMISSION CLOSED/

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to seeing these assembled (and heat formed if you are going that route). Keep up the great work!

The extra finger groove was intentional. I am going to end up giving this knife to one of my friends after it is complete, and his fingers are spaced farther apart than mine. His hand won't fit with only four grooves. xD

My fingers fit on the first four, while his fit on the first three with his pinkie finger rests perfectly on the bottom one.

I have an update for you guys today! Over the weekend, I didn't have much to do, so I thought I might as well assemble the first shoulder.

Both the left and right shoulders have been heat formed (With the help of EVAkura's Contour Line(s) Tutorial! Thanks a ton!) Over a ceramic stove-top heating element. (Man, I could really use a heat gun right about now.) At the moment, only the left shoulder has been glued together. I still need to add a few more smaller details, Plus the edging. A template for the first knee (Mark VI Gen2) has been printed off and traced onto the EVA.
I only have one pic today, so here it is!

1397451479448_zpsk04x8zxv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More progress pics will be up soon!
Have a Great Day, 405th.

Hello, fellow Members!
Man, Do I have an update for you guys today! Since my last update, I have assembled, glued, and strapped female plastic buckles the right and left shoulders(Minus two small details on both shoulder plates. the right one aslo needs to have a sharper curve.), glued together one of the knee plates, cut out and formed the bottom of both arm plates, and found a pair of paintball gloves buried in my room!
Here is a picture of the progress on my armour thus far.
2014-04-17%2007.08.19_zpsqejql2iw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More progress will be posted soon!
And, 405th, Have a great day.

New Update! :)
Not a ton of progress has been made since my last update. The Second knee plate has been assembled (With hot glue) and I have cut out the rest of the helmet. The Rear Portion and the area behind the helmet lights have been pepped. I'm hoping to get more done tonight. Also, Sorry Guys! No progress pics today. I will have some pics up soon. And as always, have a great day.

Great to see you guys and gals again! I have a few minor updates today, all of which are about pep, not foam. Sadly, there will be no pics until I get my phone back, as my computer has no web-cam, and the fact that my phone is the only sort of camera I own.
Helmet is Fully Pepped with a Second coat of resin applied to the outside. Considering two factors, that I only have 67lb Cardstock, and there were no supports used for the helmet, I was quite surprised to see VERY, VERY little warping during the application and curing of resin. Sadly, I am not experienced with Rondo at all. I have heard both good, and bad things about it. Haters Gonna Hate...:p
Both handplates have also been given a second coat of resin the outside.
One more Coat on the inside (As a base for the fiberglass), as well as a few layers of fiberglass on the inside (more will be applied for the helmet), should be pretty sufficient before smoothing Bondo. I have pepped a [Low-Detail] Frag, and applied one coat of resin to it. More will be needed. It will later be filled with insulation foam, after a durable inner layer [or a few].

More Updates, And hopefully a few pics, Will be posted later this week (Or early next week).
405th, Have a great day.

Hey there, 405th!
New Update today. I have glassed the inside of the helmet (Minus the jaw/Chin Portion) With a single layer of fiberglass cloth. Up until the first layer of the fiberglass, I never knew how strong fiberglass actually is, which gave me quite the positive surprise. Two or three more layers will be applied later on. The glassing is a little sloppy at the moment, but will probably start smoothing itself out over the next few layers. I still need to acquire some needle files, but a ruler and some 120 grit sandpaper is working fine. No update on the rest of the build today. no pics today, as I do not Have my phone to take them. It feels as though I am multi-posting a ton! C'mon guys! xD
New Updates will be up soon.
As always, Have a great day.

Hey there Guys/Gals/Other! Back again today with pics of the Mark VI Helmet. I have had a ton of time to work on this at my R.V.. Glassing Plans have been changed. the finished inside(From Bottom to top) will be Fiberglass-->Rondo-->Fiberglass-->Rondo--Foam Padding. Thus far, I have Fully Glassed the inside with one layer, then Threw some rondo into the inside of the Upper-Front Portion because glassing it would have been a major pain. Smaller details have also been Rondo'd. also, the thicker, more annoying, overlapping tabs have been filed down to save time when applying body filler to the outside. It is nearly impossible to miss the amount of warping on the underside of the visor, but it will be easily fixed.
I have scrapped the handplates to replace them with some reach ones when I have the time for them. the Right Forearm has been pepped and is currently at school, happily in a bin in the art room. Also, the shoulders I have Made may not be used as the Primary shoulders for the final product, but will be interchangeable because of my desire to turn this into a reach build, minus the weapons and miscellaneous accessories. The magnets have been Replaced in the assault Rifle and the cowling has been given a rough layer of Bondo. Three Magnets have been placed in a Carved out section in the Grip of the Magnum to make it stick to a plate I plan on putting in the thigh.
Now, For the Ever-Delayed Pics! (Sorry for the bad quality!)
Helmet1_zps9a2f093d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Helmet3_zpse4535494.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Helmet4_zpse582c520.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Helmet6_zps8bbc9c1a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Helmet5_zpsfdc55cef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Helmet2_zps21c37b11.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
More updates will be on the way soon, of course, after I pick up more of the hardener for both my resin, and Bondo.
Have a great day, or... night, my fellow 405th members.

I have come to revive this thread! Again... '-_-
Alright... I haven't gotten a ton of work done, due to camping and finishing up school for the year. Pics will not be posted today,but as soon as I have a decent wifi connection to upload to Photobucket. Since the last update, the helmet has been given three and a half more coats of rondo on the inside. and the helmet is taking shape on the outside in terms of Bondo work. the inside top section that fits the visor had to be re-done, due to warping. it has been replaced with foam and bondo'd over. surprisingly, it worked like a charm. I am currently in the process of working on the brim and top portion of the bucket. I finally chose the knee I was going to do for this build, so I also pepped out the left Gungnir Knee. The right one will be pepped soon. forearm has also been pepped, although it was quite tedious. In addition, the Left Shoulder plate has also been pepped and given two coats of Rondo. Bondo work still needs to be done. It is of the Mark V Variety. On the lines of the Assault Rifle, The cowling has been Bondo'd and sanded. It is rough and will require more. I think as of now, the MA5C is an ongoing build. My Reach spartan is my main Priority. Recently, I have been playing a lot of Reach and in doing so, Completed a Solo run of the campaign on Legendary. It took me almost five days days, around 2 missions a night. In the amount of time I played, I have started to fancy the ODST helmet. I plan to make one when this build achieves some sort of order. Pics will be up soon. and I'm sorry to everybody that this build isn't active enough to keep regular updates on. Inspiration is what drives me do do what I love. Keep your build going, even if it is very slow like mine, because you will eventually be rewarded. time+effort=Quality

Last edited by a moderator:
Just letting you guys know this thread hasn't been abandoned. I had a very slow summer and got barely any work done. I'm trying to not let anybody down, but school is getting in the way of EVERYTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back