"Cutting Edge" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkpolar

Hi, this is a great site and I am new here. I am making a "Pep" MC helmet to start my long and illustrious career as an armor creator. I have read many topics and want to say thank you to all who have put forth the effort to provide information for the newcomers. I hope that many share my appreciation. My first question is in regards to actually making the first cuts in the card stock after printing from Pepakura. My first instinct would be to just grab some scissors and get to carvin', but I figured that the detail in making such an obvious cut could possibly have been discussed prior. Should I just use scissors and risk an uneven or unaccurate cut? Or, should I use an exacto knife or disposable scalpel? Thanks for your time and I anticipate a wonderful experience at the 405.

I used an exacto knife. It's hard or your finger, but it is a lot more accurate. the only problem is that you have to push pretty hard to get it to go all the way through.

I used scissors, and I didn't make any cut that afterwards I said, "Whoa." I've been able to fix any irregularities (and they're small) during fiberglass and bondo application.

Boomer said:
I used scissors, and I didn't make any cut that afterwards I said, "Whoa." I've been able to fix any irregularities (and they're small) during fiberglass and bondo application.

Ditto :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Scissors would be the best off to give you a nice even and straight cut... Unless you are Xactoing with a ruler...

Macattack64 said:
Scissors would be the best off to give you a nice even and straight cut... Unless you are Xactoing with a ruler...
RULERS RULE!
ha, that was punny!

Scissors seems the way to go, fast and somewhat accurate, but I am very tempted to use metal ruler and knife. Well, here goes nothing, thanks all, will return!

darkpolar said:
Scissors seems the way to go, fast and somewhat accurate, but I am very tempted to use metal ruler and knife. Well, here goes nothing, thanks all, will return!
well i use scissors and a razor blade for hard to reach spots that might get messed up by the scissors

Macattack64 said:

Ruler? Who needs a RULER? Silly Mac, lol :p

I've done all of my X-acto cuts free-hand, both on the Pepakura template and the styrene I've cut. One just needs a steady hand and eye to get a straight cut... :)

Yeah, but I lost my right arm in an unfortunate smelting accident and I have a gold hook for a hand. "I love gooooold!"

darkpolar said:
Yeah, but I lost my right arm in an unfortunate smelting accident and I have a gold hook for a hand. "I love gooooold!"

dam is that a joke or forreals? :notworthy:

I'm sorry, that was a movie reference to Austin Powers Goldmember. I apologize for my crude humor. No hook, I swear.

Scared me. One time this lady made a joke about having one arm and no legs. I laughed at her only to find out that she was being serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back